Unable to line up the plastic tab on the 4-pin connector header with the ridges on the 4-pin fan connector on my modb

Oct 23, 2018
I have purchased two fans from Noctua, B07C5VG64V Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 4-Pin Premium Quiet Fan (120mm, Brown) and B00RUZ059O Noctua AAO Frame Design, SSO2 Bearing Premium Quality Quite Fan NF-A9 PWM.

I got an issue with connection of 4-pin connector to my 4-pin HP Z220 motherboard connector as Noctua 4-pin connector has different shape from my and do not fit. I cannot line up the plastic tab on the header with the ridges on the fan connector. my is more in center and Noctua on the side. They are both 4-pin connectors.

However, my CPU fan 4-pin connectoron my motherboard is same as Noctua.

Will this solve my problem if I post pone my two motherboard 4-pin fan brown connectors and just use this product connected to my CPU fan connector with my 2 new Noctua fans together?

Akasa AK-CBFA07-45 Flexa FP5S PWM Splitter Cable:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBFA07-45-Flexa-Splitter-Cable/dp/B008PO4X2E/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1540241839&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Akasa+FLEXA+FP5S+fan+power+adapter

Thanks,

Solution
Sorry, the manuals available on the HP website do not include detailed info on their fan systems. Since the connector headers they have used on the mobo apparently are NOT the common standard 4-pin headers, we have to suspect that their fans and wiring details also are not "standard", so connecting a third-party fan to the mobo's case fan headers might not be wise.

You do not tell us why you are adding fans, but I suspect you are just trying to increase cooling air flow through the case. What you propose IS a good solution. It is a simple fan HUB, and it will draw power for all fans connected to it directly from the PSU via a connection to a SATA power output connector from that PSU. It will get the PWM signal for fan speed control...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sorry, the manuals available on the HP website do not include detailed info on their fan systems. Since the connector headers they have used on the mobo apparently are NOT the common standard 4-pin headers, we have to suspect that their fans and wiring details also are not "standard", so connecting a third-party fan to the mobo's case fan headers might not be wise.

You do not tell us why you are adding fans, but I suspect you are just trying to increase cooling air flow through the case. What you propose IS a good solution. It is a simple fan HUB, and it will draw power for all fans connected to it directly from the PSU via a connection to a SATA power output connector from that PSU. It will get the PWM signal for fan speed control from the mobo CPU_FAN header (assuming that they HAVE used a "standard" wiring system on that) and distribute it to all its fans so that they all are controlled in the same way. (They may NOT all run at exactly the same speed because they are of different designs, but that does not matter.) This system has one small disadvantaqe: it puts those added fans under an automatic control system guided by the internal temperature of the CPU chip, rather than by a sensor on the mobo. But there is a pretty good correlation between heat generation in the CPU and heat generated in the rest of the system, so this is a good compromise.

You should be aware of one important detail. Any fan header can accept the speed signal sent back to it from ONE fan only. So that Hub will only send back the signal from one fan and ignore the others - you will never "see" the others' speeds, but this does NOT affect ability to control them. However, the speed signals are used for another vital purpose - failure detection. Most mobos pay very special attention to the speed of the cooler on the CPU chip because it is so critical. Thus, it is important that you plug the actual CPU cooling fan into the correct Hub output connector. Look at them closely and you will see that, of the five output arms, only one has all four pins in it. The other four are missing Pin #3 so that those fans' speed signals do not get sent back to the mobo CPU_FAN header. So, plug the actual CPU cooling fan into the one output arm with all four pins.

Solution