Question Unable to run Unreal Engine 4 for learning game development

rohitwalawalkarr

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hello Guys,

I want to make games using Unreal Engine 4. I bought a couple of online learning courses to study the engine. I was able to open and navigate through the engine smoothly until one day I downloaded the free mega scan assets to create a scene. I think it was too much to bear for my computer and it started freezing the engine. Since that day, whenever I start UE4, it freezes even on simple navigation in the view port. I uninstalled and reinstalled the engine hoping for it to work smoothly as before but whatever I do, my PC just refuses to run UE4 more than 5 minutes.

Following is my PC configuration:

Motherboard: INTEL DH77EB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10)
Graphic Card: Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics
PSU: Corsair RM850w
Hard Disk: WD 1 TB

I really want to be able to run UE4 smoothly once again, even when I use the mega scan assets. Please suggest what could be the problem that is causing UE4 to freeze? Also, if upgrading my PC could solve the problem then kindly suggest which components I should upgrade? My budget is roughly around 800 USD. Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks.

Please note: I had issues with my RAM in the past wherein I used to get the 3 beeps sound and then after cleaning/wiping the chips, the PC would start again. It's not frequent but happens occasionally.

This seems to be more of a hardware spec issue than any system condition problems. I can't imagine anyone taking on such a task not being diligent about keeping their PC at least running adequately, and would also likely know how to.

My first inkling was insufficient RAM, and perhaps CPU as well. However even the GPU is quite outdated. So I searched for "Hardware requirements for running megascan assets in Unreal Engine 4", and found a thread on it that seems to confirm my assumptions.

https://help.quixel.com/hc/en-us/co...rements-for-Quixel-Studio-Unreal-Virtual-Film

rohitwalawalkarr

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
disk clean/defrag the hdd?
what the ram usage?
cpu/gpu temp?
malware scan the system?

Thank you for your reply.

I did the defragmentation of hdd, as suggested. I was able to run UE4 and it didn't crash. However when I tried to populate a field with UE4 assets, it started freezing again.
The ram usage shows 4.48 GB in task manager. The CPU temp is 82 max whereas the GPU temp is 67 max. I have scanned the system for malware and didn't find any issues.

rohitwalawalkarr

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
This seems to be more of a hardware spec issue than any system condition problems. I can't imagine anyone taking on such a task not being diligent about keeping their PC at least running adequately, and would also likely know how to.

My first inkling was insufficient RAM, and perhaps CPU as well. However even the GPU is quite outdated. So I searched for "Hardware requirements for running megascan assets in Unreal Engine 4", and found a thread on it that seems to confirm my assumptions.

https://help.quixel.com/hc/en-us/co...rements-for-Quixel-Studio-Unreal-Virtual-Film
Thank you for your reply. Learning UE4 came to my mind during the lockdown period. I knew my system was quiet outdated, but there was no way of getting it upgraded during that period. Since I was able to play games such as Arkham Series, Tomb Raider Series and Dragon Age Series quiet smoothly, I believed that my system can handle the engine, and it did, as I was able to complete a course successfully. But when I switched to the other course involving mega scan assets, that's where the problem began.

Thank you for providing the link. It's very informative, and will help me in upgrading my system.