[SOLVED] Unable to uninstall software:"Error applying transforms. Verify that the paths are valid."

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hi folks!

So, i have a software issue with my Skylake build, running Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit OEM (activated with legit key).
OS is bloatware and malware free, with all Win updates installed (except KB4516065 and KB4516048, which Win update fails to install for some reason).

Full system specs with pics,
pcpp: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/b/bd9J7P
builds.gg: https://builds.gg/aeacus/skylake-802

Since i have a plethora of Corsair peripherals, i also have Corsair iCUE (3.14.104) software to control them. And the issue i have is with iCUE.

iCUE has built-in updater which i've used so far to update it to newer version. Since i don't update my software as soon as new version comes out, i've probably skipped few versions with it. Alas, now when i want to update it to latest version, i can't.

The built-in updater does download the latest version just fine (3.20.80),
KqK5h15.jpg
but during the update, updater produces an error that old iCUE can't be removed,
KXEawxY.jpg
I figured the built-in updater could be faulty and manual update is in order. So, i went to Corsair site (link), downloaded latest iCUE installer, exported my iCUE profile, closed the current running iCUE and went to "Control Panel" -> "Programs and Features" to manually uninstall old version of iCUE, before running the installer of a new version.

And here is the main issue. When trying to uninstall iCUE, Win installer produces following error:"Error applying transforms. Verify that the paths are valid.",
zvqig3m.jpg
Here, i'm lost. This is the 1st time in my history where Win can't uninstall a piece of software that isn't running.

Quick Google search did point towards registry error that may prevent the uninstallation but the old version of iCUE works without issues and here, i don't understand how this error came to be in the 1st place. Then again, i'm a hardware expert, not a software expert and i don't do well with software issues, hence this topic here as well.

My goal is to get the old version of iCUE uninstalled and new version of iCUE installed, without messing up the rest of my system or clean installing the Win.

So, what the next step would be?

--
Thanks in advance,
Aeacus

Solution
I would not use CCleaner's Registry cleaner. Many mistake this "cleaner" to be a "fixer" which it is not. I feel that it's more likely to harm your system than to fix or repair it. I'm sure you will find others who disagree with me.

Keep the file: iCUESetup_3.14.104_release.msi
for now.

3 things to try for the "transforms" error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/11b32f29-fec5-4f8d-aef3-8f1ed83fac98?auth=1

After each of the 3 tries, try the iCUESetup again to see if it works.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting. Sounds like a corrupt installation.

Have you tried re-installing the version you have now again? Sometimes that can take care of it. Try a repair from the control panel if that is an option (or the installer is unavailable).

Now something that can happen is that the files necessary to uninstall have been removed from a cache folder somewhere. That is why a re-install can fix it sometimes, it puts fresh files down and then the uninstall can happen again.

They may have goofed on the installer, probably edited by hand rather than re-publishing it properly. I saw that a lot in my times doing OS upgrades for my company. We would ask for a compatible version, for say Windows 7, they would give us a hacked together piece of garbage that half worked. Usually it was a lack of LUA awareness or simply needing a fixed file and folder structure that only applied to XP. Amazing how often it came up.

Check the registry here: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, should be a detailed list of what is in the control panel and the uninstall string it is trying to use to remove it. Might just be a simple typo. Might also reveal the path to the uninstaller and then you can just try running it manually.

If you can locate the transform files *.mst you may be able to see what it is trying to do on uninstall. Might just be a matter of a little editing, or find the MSI and uninstall it yourself.

And last resort, find every reference to it in the registry and nuke it. As well as deleting all vestiges of the files it may have laid down.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting. Sounds like a corrupt installation.

Have you tried re-installing the version you have now again? Sometimes that can take care of it. Try a repair from the control panel if that is an option (or the installer is unavailable).

Now something that can happen is that the files necessary to uninstall have been removed from a cache folder somewhere. That is why a re-install can fix it sometimes, it puts fresh files down and then the uninstall can happen again.

They may have goofed on the installer, probably edited by hand rather than re-publishing it properly. I saw that a lot in my times doing OS upgrades for my company. We would ask for a compatible version, for say Windows 7, they would give us a hacked together piece of garbage that half worked. Usually it was a lack of LUA awareness or simply needing a fixed file and folder structure that only applied to XP. Amazing how often it came up.

Check the registry here: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, should be a detailed list of what is in the control panel and the uninstall string it is trying to use to remove it. Might just be a simple typo. Might also reveal the path to the uninstaller and then you can just try running it manually.

If you can locate the transform files *.mst you may be able to see what it is trying to do on uninstall. Might just be a matter of a little editing, or find the MSI and uninstall it yourself.

And last resort, find every reference to it in the registry and nuke it. As well as deleting all vestiges of the files it may have laid down.
Trying to run latest installer directly (3.20.80) produces same error as built-in installer produced,
5EvYRpw.jpg
After which Win pops 2nd error,
zC0qEYw.png
Running "Repair" produces error which is followed by 2nd error. Since i updated iCUE with built-in updater, i don't have the original 3.14.104 installer anymore,
PpxlXnJ.png
After running regedit.exe, there are no HKLM root folders in there,
SYMM3pE.png
Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER, there is \Software\Microsoft\ paths but both of them miss the \CurrentVersion\ subfolder. So, i'm lost here and don't know where to look exactly. :??:

Try running the original installer again to see if it uninstalls it.
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=857801&p=857801
The newest version of iCUE in that topic is 2.24.50, while i have 3.14.104.

Did find the 3.14.104 installer here, but i'm suspicious if it's legit and not malware (i have trust issues with software other than from official source),
link: https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/O...r-Utility-Engine-iCUE-Software-3-14-104.shtml

While i did download it, i haven't run it due to my suspicion. If i get the assurance from you guys that the above site is legit, i'll run the 3.14.104 installer directly and post the results.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
The download link on SoftPedia actually goes to the Corsair site. I'd say it's safe.

Link: http://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_3.14.104_release.msi

It's 323MB. I downloaded it and ran it through VirusTotal. Here's the results: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...6722673e3fba5eda6ce302b5097d7367b0f/detection

I also ran it in a VM just to test it and it looks legit. I installed it. I ran it a 2nd time and was presented with this:
VuxI5ho.jpg

And I successfully uninstalled it.

I can't promise anything. Your registry made be messed up or there may be some other unknown problem. But I'd give it a try and see if it works.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The download link on SoftPedia actually goes to the Corsair site. I'd say it's safe.

Link: http://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_3.14.104_release.msi

It's 323MB. I downloaded it and ran it through VirusTotal. Here's the results: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file...6722673e3fba5eda6ce302b5097d7367b0f/detection

I also ran it in a VM just to test it and it looks legit. I installed it. I ran it a 2nd time and was presented with this:
VuxI5ho.jpg

And I successfully uninstalled it.

I can't promise anything. Your registry made be messed up or there may be some other unknown problem. But I'd give it a try and see if it works.
Thanks for the assurance. :)

So, i tried to run the 3.14.104 installer directly and i instantly got the same:"Error applying transforms. Verify that the paths are valid." error pop-up as in my initial post's 3rd screenshot.

Here, i'm lost. Especially since i have several utility softwares to keep my system running problem free. Like: Process Explorer, Autoruns64, Ccleaner, LockHunter, MyDefrag, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Core Temp, HWinfo64, Speccy, Malwarebytes.

I'm thinking, could the registry scan and cleaning offered by Ccleaner fix my issue? So far, i've used Ccleaner to clean temp and other misc files to free up some space (not that i'd need more space but i don't like clutter).

gardenman

Splendid
I would not use CCleaner's Registry cleaner. Many mistake this "cleaner" to be a "fixer" which it is not. I feel that it's more likely to harm your system than to fix or repair it. I'm sure you will find others who disagree with me.

for now.

3 things to try for the "transforms" error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/11b32f29-fec5-4f8d-aef3-8f1ed83fac98?auth=1

Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

for now.

Pre-test to see if i can install/uninstall other programs (as advised in that guide above):
Here, i downloaded and updated my LockHunter from 3.1 to 3.2. Software installed fine and i had no issues updating already installed software.
For uninstall test, i uninstalled Corsair Link 4.9.5 from Control Panel and then manually installed 4.9.6, again problem free. Corsair Link even prompted that new version of Link is available and using built-in updater, it updated itself to 4.9.7 problem free.
So, at least that much of my system works without issues, making issue with iCUE specific to iCUE.

Method 1:
Downloaded that piece of software and executed it. Followed the on-screen instructions and selected that i have issue uninstalling Corsair iCUE. Program started to work and after about 2-3 mins, it finished and prompted "Fixed" status.

Sure enough, Corsair iCUE was gone from "Programs and Features" when i checked it. :giggle:
So, i executed 3.20.80 installation and it worked without issues. Took some time before installation was complete, with prompt to reboot the PC. :D Did a reboot and during OS boot-up, i almost got a heart attack since my screen went completely black.

During boot-up, screen does flicker to black but it lasts only mere seconds (since i'm booting from 960 Evo M.2 NVMe SSD). This time, the loss of signal to the monitor was so long that my monitor displayed "No DP signal" and went into sleep mode. My heart sank at that point and i was thinking if iCUE just messed up GPU drivers or something worse happened. :eek: After some 20 seconds or so (felt like forever), i saw life and JC Denton greeted me on Win log-in screen to input my psw. :love:

You love them, care for them, buy nice things for them and they still sometimes throw a tantrum. :D

Now, i have Corsair iCUE 3.20.80 running and i even didn't have to import my Profile over,
WovkRq3.jpg
Though, interesting thing remains:
3.14.104 was/is located at C:/Program Files (x86)/Corsair/Corsair Utility Engine
while 3.20.80 was installed at C:/Program Files (x86)/Corsair/CORSAIR iCUE Software

Now, i have 2x folders in Corsair folder. The 3.14.104 size is 256MB with 92 files and 65 folders, while 3.20.80 is 598MB with 1307 files and 66 folders.

Should i delete the "Corsair Utility Engine" (3.14.104) folder?
Also, is it likely that this kind of issue happened thanks to the flaw inside iCUE built-in updater?

gardenman

Splendid
I would temporarily move the:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Corsair/Corsair Utility Engine
folder to your desktop for a few days. If it won't let you move it, then files within are still being used and it would probably be best to leave it. If you can move it, then leave the folder on your desktop a week or so. Make sure to reboot a few times to be sure everything is working. After the week is up, if all looks well, delete it from the desktop.

It's likely that the "fix" simply removed the install entries from the registry and didn't touch the files. It would be expected since it was having trouble uninstalling anyway.

Also, is it likely that this kind of issue happened thanks to the flaw inside iCUE built-in updater?
It would be my guess that this happened because of a problem with the Microsoft installer (which installs MSI files). I've seen other people have problems with this installer although not this specific error.

I would try those Windows updates again now too. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll install now.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I would temporarily move the:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Corsair/Corsair Utility Engine
folder to your desktop for a few days. If it won't let you move it, then files within are still being used and it would probably be best to leave it. If you can move it, then leave the folder on your desktop a week or so. Make sure to reboot a few times to be sure everything is working. After the week is up, if all looks well, delete it from the desktop.

It's likely that the "fix" simply removed the install entries from the registry and didn't touch the files. It would be expected since it was having trouble uninstalling anyway.

Aeacus said:
It would be my guess that this happened because of a problem with the Microsoft installer (which installs MSI files). I've seen other people have problems with this installer although not this specific error.

I would try those Windows updates again now too. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll install now.
I moved the entire folder to my D:/ drive (MX500 1TB for data) and after reboot, things seem to be okay. I'll keep it there for a week and then delete it.

Just tried to install those two updates and i still get an error with them,
WtXU4ES.png
Though, i'm not worried about installing KB4516065 and KB4516048, or should i be?

gardenman

Splendid
I keep forgetting this is the Win7 forum.

KB4516065 is a security update.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4516065/windows-7-update-kb4516065

KB4516048 is not.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4516048/windows-7-update-kb4516048

I have no idea if this will help or not, but it's worth a shot:
Windows Update Troubleshooter
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Also are you getting any specific errors? You might need to look in Event Viewer or Windows Update History.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I keep forgetting this is the Win7 forum.

KB4516065 is a security update.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4516065/windows-7-update-kb4516065

KB4516048 is not.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4516048/windows-7-update-kb4516048

I have no idea if this will help or not, but it's worth a shot:
Windows Update Troubleshooter
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

Also are you getting any specific errors? You might need to look in Event Viewer or Windows Update History.
Well, i get the 80092004 error code (also seen at the screenshot in my previous reply) and Event Viewer gives following description for both updates:"Windows Update failed to download an update."

Then again, both updates are fairly big, ~256MB and ~360MB, and it takes only small drop in connection to M$ server to drop the download process.

gardenman

Splendid
I'm a bit stumped, as I usually get with Windows Updates not installing. This page mentions two previous updates that if are not installed will cause this error in Windows 7. It's dated Aug of 2019.
I'm not sure if it will help or not.

Another idea is to manually download the updates (maybe with a download manager that can continue the download if it stops) and try to install it that way. http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx

Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a bit stumped, as I usually get with Windows Updates not installing. This page mentions two previous updates that if are not installed will cause this error in Windows 7. It's dated Aug of 2019.
I'm not sure if it will help or not.

Another idea is to manually download the updates (maybe with a download manager that can continue the download if it stops) and try to install it that way. http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/home.aspx

Maybe someone else has a better idea?
So, i went over that page and checked my installed updates if i have the prequsite KB4474419 and KB4490628 installed.

I do have KB4474419 installed. But i don't have KB4490628 installed.
For some reason, my Win updater hasn't found it as one of the updates to be installed. Current search for updates gives the KB4516065 (important) and KB4516048 (optional) but no KB4490628 (important).

So, i went and downloaded KB4490628 manually and also installed it manually.
Btw, this isn't the 1st time i had to manually download and install Win updates. There are 9x other Win updates that i had to manually install during the past 3 years (i have a folder where i'm keeping all manually installed update installers, just in case).

With both KB4474419 and KB4490628 present, i let Win update to install KB4516065 and it downloaded and installed it successfully. It did 2 reboots as well.
For time being, i'll leave KB4516048 uninstalled since it's just a preview to KB4516065 and i don't think it's needed.

Thank you for helping to solve my important issue (iCUE) and optional issue (Win updates) as well. :D(y)

Reactions: gardenman