[SOLVED] unable to update windows 10 from 1803

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
Hi there,for 2 years i have been unable to update 2020-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 64 bit.I had tried all the options that i came across online,sfc/scannow, DISM would not complete,
reinstalling windows(all methods) would not complete.
Somehow yesterday,by following a topic i was able to get sfc/scannow and DISM to run fully,but stil unable to update.
My motherboard is asusM4A89GTD USB3 i know that there is no drivers for windows 10 for it,but i still dont think that the motherboard is the problem.
also Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 (KB4486153) - Error 0x800705aa
id love some new advice on this, as i dont want to go down route of new motherboard and same probs.
i have AMD Phenom II X6 1090T,and 8gb ram ATI Radeon HD 4350 card
Every now and again when i click the start button i get the error that start menu is not available.
ALSO, my motherboard is ASUS,but when i go into BIOS setup,along the bottom it says American Megatrends,does this sound correct?
thanks

Solution
well, lets see. BIOS is legacy only (doesn't support GPT, doesn't have secure boot). Installer can work on legacy so not problem.
i found one recently where they couldn't install win 10 from USB but no answer.
try usb 2 slots on back of pc?

Colif

Win 11 Master
reinstalling windows(all methods) would not complete.
all methods?
Even a clean install?
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

it can't resist a full install. Just have to copy anything off C drive you want to keep as it wipes the drive.

American megatrends made the bios, Asus made the motherboard. Most Motherbaord makers don't make the bios, they may alter it by putting branding in, but a lot of them use only about 3 bios makers.

You might not need clean install but "In place upgrade". Download latest ISO using https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6734-windows-10-installation-tool.html or let it make a BOOT USB. After you mount ISO or from USB just run SETUP.EXE and choose to keep your files and APPs.
When trying with auto update, MS decides compatibility of all critical parts. when doing from ISO it just installs without changing drivers.

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
hi,thanks for the reply,yes i have tried all methods of reinstalling,it gets so far then fails
i will try it again this weekend just for current status of failure.i havve tried both keeping files,and not keeping files same result,but as i said ill try again this weekend

Colif

Win 11 Master
hi,thanks for the reply,yes i have tried all methods of reinstalling,it gets so far then fails
i will try it again this weekend just for current status of failure.i havve tried both keeping files,and not keeping files same result,but as i said ill try again this weekend

those are resets, not reinstalls.
if your base windows is the cause, a reset may not fix it.

Countmikes is an inplace upgrade, not a reset
Mine is a new start, remove windows, put a new version on that doesn't have anything to do with old one.

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
something i noticed before and meant to say,i have 2 hard drives C and E,there is an F called system reserved and it says 52.1MB free of 99.9MB
That dosent sound right does it?
i have another older 32 bit pc with im sure a pretty basic motherboard,which updates windows 10 no probs by the way, but it has a drive E which has 355MB free of 7.22GB i take it thats a partition where windows OS resides yeah?

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows lives on C

can you right click start
choose disk management
expand the next window so you can see all of top and bottom section
take a screenshot and upload it to an image sharing website and show us a link

Win 10 creates 4 partitions when it installs, most shouldn't have letters. F for instance shouldn't have a letter.

Colif

Win 11 Master
yep, that 2 hdd alright. I would copy anything on C you want to save, onto E since you have free space. It is just in case you need to clean install.

F is your boot partition, odd its got a drive letter.
C is Windows
E is 2nd hdd

can't say i seen many 1500gb hdd before. you have 2.

Colif

Win 11 Master
no, i guess that is as close to 100 it got to. its saying 100 in disk management.

The System Reserved partition consumes 100 MB of space on Windows 7, 350 MB of space on Windows 8, and 500 MB of space on Windows 10.

its the normal size for a PC that was upgraded from win 7.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you do a clean install, copy everything you want onto 2nd hdd
unplug PC
remove power from 2nd hdd inside case
install win 10 onto 1st hdd
when you know it boots fine
unplug PC again and re attach 2nd hdd to power inside case.
take ownership of the folders (windows will offer this when you first open a folder on drive)

We do that as Win 10 likes to share itself onto other hdd if given chance, and only having 1 drive attached stops it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what error does the CU give?
see if this helps - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-version/f59be976-2adf-4561-98be-a77644abc9dc
if SFC/DISM aren't finding any errors, the reasoning isn't windows. or it can't see problem anyway
Have you run the windows update trouble-shooter?
its always possible you have some hardware on motherboard that doesn't have an updated driver, I know some PC are stuck on certain versions because the hardware maker hasn't given Microsoft drivers to fix a problem.

I wouldn't have put up with it so long. I would have reinstalled win 10 by now. Its not that hard, takes about an hour on a hdd

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
ok i have disconnected a hard drive,i wasnt sure which one was the os drive so just guessed,turned on pc and i seem to have chosen wisely.
lately also,pc takes ages to boot up and get to the desktop screen with all icons fulley loaded,i have no programs enabled on startup either

funkman4

Reputable
Jan 23, 2021
i decided last week to defrag using defraggler,left it running all night and next day,was only like 3 percent complete,was gonna take at least a week so i cancelled it,i ran the window defrag and it went quick.drives 10 year old samsung

Colif

Win 11 Master
you might be best thinking about getting an ssd and use it as boot drive, might let the hdd's retire without taking windows with it. 10 years is good for any drive, especially one with moving parts.

Fresh install remove need for defrag. I see why its slow then, its just in need of a clean. It should be faster after the install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It depends on what keyboard you use, if you use a UK style keyboard, some of the keys are in different places (I know as I am in Australia but for some reason Microsoft think its UK and my @ key is in wrong place as I use a US style keyboard.

Hello funkman4 , a lot of people have asked you different questions but to go back to your original question , you cant install an update due to an error code.
This is the solution to problems with updates via the the scanning for updates option.
click on this link
Microsoft Update Catalog

Look in the top right corner you will see an empty search box , in this type the kb number of the item that cant download or install.
You must type kb as well as the number example kb12345
You will now be given a full list of all the different versions of that item.
IMPORTANT..... before you do what i have said check the build of your system , it is your responsibility to make sure you download the correct version , all i have done is tell you how to do it.

Reactions: CountMike