[SOLVED] Understanding better single core performance of a CPU with a lower base clock speed

bsguru

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Hi,

I am quite a new to this and was comparing AMDs two processors
AMD Ryzen 7 5700U vs. AMD Ryzen 5 5500U
Here is the link frmo cpu-monkey (which btw I found pretty useful site ;) )

https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-amd_ryzen_7_5700u-1764-vs-amd_ryzen_5_5500u-1766

As we can see 5700U despite having lower single core clock 1.8GHz (compared with 2.1GHz of 5500U) is having better single core performance in all benhcmarks.

As per my undestanding (I have already told I am new to this) base clock is the major factor which determines the single core performance , but this results look counter-intuitive. Also they seem to be based on same architecture (Zen 2)

Does the performance also depen on factors like Turbo of single core etc?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Solution
The base clock is just the lowest clocks that will only be reached with the heaviest workload.
Anything normal will run above base clocks, and as long as the 5700 can run higher clocks at the same apps it will be faster.
Also the cooling of the laptop plays a very big role here.
The base clock is just the lowest clocks that will only be reached with the heaviest workload.
Anything normal will run above base clocks, and as long as the 5700 can run higher clocks at the same apps it will be faster.
Also the cooling of the laptop plays a very big role here.

Solution