[SOLVED] Understanding OEM licences and reinstalling

Mar 2, 2023
Hey Guys

Might be silly, but I'm confused with how Microsoft now does Windows (Download tools) give me a disk, USB and sticker on the case any day.

Situation

I brought a 2ed laptop ( keeping 1st Windows 10) and would like to use other for Ubuntu but... before doing that I'd like to make a copy of the Windows 10 currently on it - so I can reinstall it at a later date if needed.

Issue

it's an OEM licence and can't see a key with the box or on the case.

Question

1- I've heard of back-ups but never made one and heard too many methods (clone, back-up) what would you suggest ?

2- Is the key linked to the hardware & would using fresh installation from creation tool just give it a thumbs up ?

3 - is the key hidden inside the system ?

Sorry if this is simple, just want the ability to re-install Windows if needed - feel abit lost.

Thanks

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're reinstalling the OS on the same device, the activation will happen automagically, meaning you just need to fabricate your bootable USB installer for the OS using Windows Media Creation Tools and then perform the reinstall. The OEM license key is tethered to the motherboard's BIOS chip, meaning if you change the BIOS chip or the motherboard, the license/activation is gone with it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're reinstalling the OS on the same device, the activation will happen automagically, meaning you just need to fabricate your bootable USB installer for the OS using Windows Media Creation Tools and then perform the reinstall. The OEM license key is tethered to the motherboard's BIOS chip, meaning if you change the BIOS chip or the motherboard, the license/activation is gone with it.

Solution
Mar 2, 2023
The OEM license key is tethered to the motherboard's BIOS chip, meaning if you change the BIOS chip or the motherboard, the license/activation is gone with it.

Thank you @Lutfij

Will be trying over the weekend but didn't want to try without knowing.

Can I also ask how you buy Windows now & how long Windows 10 will be supported ? Don't want to move to 11 and will probably stop after 10 discontinues.
I did buy a USB version awhile back (was stolen in a house share) can't find a physical copy any more.

Thanks

Windows 10 will be supported until 2025 I think. October?

Is this correct:

The laptop you bought has a legit Windows 10 license and is activated.

You want to put Ubuntu on it.

You want to somehow preserve its current Windows 10 state so you can return it to Windows 10 later if need be.

If that is all true, I'd use Macrium Reflect to make a "full image" of all partitions on the hard drive and save that image onto some unrelated drive. Maybe copy that image file after its made so you have 2 copies of it. If you later want to go back to Windows 10 on the machine, you'd formally "restore" that full image file to the laptop. The image file will be quite large with an .mrimg extension. All the licensing info will be contained in the image file and will be restored when the image file is restored.

Mar 2, 2023
Hey @Lafong

Yes that's the gist of it.

Tho after getting some quick answers from here I feel more comfortable following what's been said and giving it a try later down the road.

As @Lutfij has told me the Windows key should be linked to my hardware so if the desktop goes down (getting abit old and worry about the hard drive) or I decide to reinstall Windows on the laptop I'll try the creation tool \ backup.

You also pointed out that Windows 10 will end in 2025 so will probably retire old desktop offline for games and switch everything else to Ubuntu. Also, the Windows laptop could probably last till then.

Thank you guys for the advice, I know just enough to be dangerous, so wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lutfij