[SOLVED] Understanding PC components.

Arron356

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
Does the size of the case matter so much? I will be using Blaze gaming pc Case. 42 x 20 x 44.2 cm (£53)
Does a Hard drive usually come with a mounting bracket? E.g. Seagate HDD Internal 1 TB BarraCuda SATA 3.5 (£35)

When would you favour to use a SSD or HDD? For example, I have a kingston 480gb solid state drive (£43) and the hard drive above. When would u prefer to use one over the other, such as installing windows onto the harddrive? And is it better in my case to just spend more on a much better SSD and not have HDD.

Budget is around the already stated prices. Thanks for any advice and apologies for anything is unclear!

Solution
When would you favour to use a SSD or HDD? For example, I have a kingston 480gb solid state drive (£43) and the hard drive above. When would u prefer to use one over the other, such as installing windows onto the harddrive? And is it better in my case to just spend more on a much better SSD and not have HDD.

Use the SSD for your Windows installation and most often used programs (browsers, office programs, games). Use the HDD for lesser used programs/personal files. It really depends on how much storage space you need and how many applications you intend to install. If you think you'll never need more than 1TB of drive space, then go with a 1TB SSD. Even if it turns out you do need more space, you can always add another SSD...
  • Case size matters when factoring the motherboard size, the length of the GPU and PSU, and the height of your air cooler.
  • All the drive hardware will come included with the case.
  • SSD is always better than HDD for performance. If you have one of each, you'll definitely want Windows on the SSD. If your budget allows it, definitely swap out that hard drive with an SSD! The only benefit HDD has is large storage space for lower costs, so you'd only want that if you have a lot of files to store. They're not recommended for games, as they'll make load times a real drag.

Reactions: Arron356

Wolfshadw

Titan

Use the SSD for your Windows installation and most often used programs (browsers, office programs, games). Use the HDD for lesser used programs/personal files. It really depends on how much storage space you need and how many applications you intend to install. If you think you'll never need more than 1TB of drive space, then go with a 1TB SSD. Even if it turns out you do need more space, you can always add another SSD later in life.

As I stated in your other thread, my 500GB SSD is just over 50% and my 1TB HDD is about 75% full after 2+ years. So for me, a 1TB SSD wouldn't have been enough. Besides. I've been building systems for over 20 years and have a few HDDs just gathering dust. Why not use them?

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Arron356
Solution

Arron356

Commendable
Jan 18, 2021
Use the SSD for your Windows installation and most often used programs (browsers, office programs, games). Use the HDD for lesser used programs/personal files. It really depends on how much storage space you need and how many applications you intend to install. If you think you'll never need more than 1TB of drive space, then go with a 1TB SSD. Even if it turns out you do need more space, you can always add another SSD later in life.

As I stated in your other thread, my 500GB SSD is just over 50% and my 1TB HDD is about 75% full after 2+ years. So for me, a 1TB SSD wouldn't have been enough. Besides. I've been building systems for over 20 years and have a few HDDs just gathering dust. Why not use them?

-Wolf sends

Yeah I noted your storage. I think I'll go with a 1tb SSD, as you cant go wrong with that. And worse case all I have to get in the future is just another SSD or HDD. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: