Question Undervolt makes my GPU get HOTTER?!

Mar 8, 2020
So after a lot of research and troubleshooting my problems that I mentioned in my previous threads I finally managed to fix it, but now I have a new question, not problem but question...
I have noticed that my GPU (Which is an XFX RX 570 4 GB) doesn't reach max clock speed so I decided to undervolt it, I did -125 mV and increased the power-limit to +50% and now the GPU reaches max clock speed! But now the problem is that it makes the GPU get hotter to the point of throttle, my GPU throttles at 70 C temperature to 1168 Mhz and at 75 C it throttles to 900~1000 Mhz, Before undervolt the temps were 72 C average at 55% fan speed (the max my ears can handle) and 76 C average after undervolt at the same fan speed...

So why is this happening? why does the GPU get hotter after undervolt? People told me it's supposed to make it reach full clock speed and at the same time NOT increase temperatures... And answers would be appreciated...

PC specs:
-i5 4590
-8 GB RAM Dual channel 1600 Mhz
-XFX RX 570 4 GB
-Software I used to test the GPU: Superposition at 1080p High OpenGL API

Mar 8, 2020
by increasing power limit u allowed your GPU to draw more watts
more watts = more heat
more heat = more cooling needed
more cooling needed with same fan setting = bad idea
hope this answers your question

btw 100% fan mode + headphones should do the trick ;)
Before and after undervolt I was running the same powerlimit, if that was true I wasn't going to even post this

so you saing that your GPU is throttled
open GPU-Z - sensors
it should tell you how is GPU throttled, if its due to low voltage, not enough power limit, or by thermals
if u see thermals as reason then u need to improve your fan speeds (case air flow or gpu fan itself)

Mar 8, 2020
so you saing that your GPU is throttled
open GPU-Z - sensors
it should tell you how is GPU throttled, if its due to low voltage, not enough power limit, or by thermals
if u see thermals as reason then u need to improve your fan speeds (case air flow or gpu fan itself)
I used MSI afterburner to monitor everything, I don't need GPU-Z
My friend reapplied thermal paste for me yesterday, I saw him apply it, he applied a huge amount, he filled the whole core with it and he said "because it's a low quality thermal paste with low density"...
Can that be the reason of unreasonably high temps? Is applying too much thermal paste bad?

Mar 8, 2020
oh boy
no matter quality, it should be as slim as possible just to even out surface
so he applied too much thermal paste? I have also noticed that before he applied the thermal paste that there was A LOT of thermal paste that dripped from the core to the pins of the chip and he didn't even try to wipe it out, I will never trust him with my GPU again

TRENDING THREADS