Build Advice Undiscoverable problem keeping my monster rig from delivering - Someone please help me.

Oct 7, 2024
I bought a new gaming PC a couple of years ago:
CPU - i910900F
GPU - RTX 3080
RAM - 32GB RAM

And for all that time I have been underwhelmed by the performance, specifically frame dips. In a bid to fix it I did an upgrade + a memory wipe. I upgraded the Mobo and added a 4090. Performance was undeniably better but I still get frame dips where neither CPU or GPU utilisation are anywhere near 100%.

I have just upgraded again having tried everything I could possibly think of from enabling Resizable BAR to updating the BIOS and so on.

So now I have a new CPU (i9 11900KF) and if anything the problem is slightly worse.

At this point my PC now looks like this:

CPU - i911900KF overclocked to 5GHz
CPU Cooler - Not sure will check ASAP but it is liquid cooled
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maxiums XII Extreme LGA 1200 Extended ATX Intel Z490
RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
SSD/HDD - 2 x Samsung 970 Evo PLus 1TB
GPU - RTX 4090
PSU - MSI MPG A850GF 850w
Chassis - ?
OS - Windows 11
Monitor - Sony BRAVIA OLED
BIOS version - will confirm but it's the very latest one (installed today)

I play on a 60hz TV and have zero interest in anything more than 60fps, I just want a completely locked 60 at max settings on 4K across everything and it seems utterly impossible at this point and I am beyond exasperated. Aside from the obvious expense of all these components it's absurd that I cannot get a consistent frame rate with the specs.

Interesting notes:

- Lowering resolution has little to no impact despite halving or even quartering the load
- DLSS or equivalent similarly seem to do nothing and if anything they add to the dips
- Most games have areas that are buttery smooth and one or two games (RDR2 springs to mind) are essentially immune to this issue but 95% of games I play are unable to hit 60fps at 4K with any consistency.
- I routinely check benchmarks for games to see what I should expect and I always fall short in practice
- The upgrades were all done by a friend who is a head of IT with 20 years of experience and he also cannot figure out why.

Can someone wave a magic wand or something cos I am so fed up with owning a near top of the line PC and having to judder through every game.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Since you performed an upgrade, we'll be seeing a before and after of the build.

I upgraded the Mobo and added a 4090
Did you reinstall the OS in offline mode after the motherboard swap?

+ a memory wipe.
You mean to say you reinstalled the OS?

Oct 7, 2024
brand and model of the psu?
ssd?
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
malware scan the system?
what os?
Sorry and thanks for replying.

Ok so:

SSD - 2 x Samsung 970 Evo PLus 1TB
CPU / GPU temps - never higher than 90 degrees and also the problem happens at any temp
System has been malware scanned several times and the new MOBO was added with a completely clean install of the Windows and formatting of the SSDs
OS - Windows 11
RAM - Corsair 32GB DDR4 Vengeance 2666MHz

Oct 7, 2024

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Since you performed an upgrade, we'll be seeing a before and after of the build.

+ a memory wipe.
Thanks! I will update the post

Oct 7, 2024

CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

+ a memory wipe.
I'll need to speak to my friend who handled the upgrade re the stuff about offline mode but in answer to the second question yes I did a clean reinstall of the OS

Oct 7, 2024
How big of a FPS drop are you talking about need munbers.
Some drops are normal and nothing you can do about them.
I'm reasonable and I get that the odd frame hitch is just par for the course, I'm talking about dips into the low 50's even 40's and consistently in certain area, then in other areas smooth as silk regardless of the resolution regardless of DLSS being enabled just no sense to it

Oct 7, 2024

CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

+ a memory wipe.
I would call 50"s normal and if it's in just certain locations probably the high 40's also.
I disagree especially as it never comes with a maxed out CPU or GPU usage, is totally unaffected by resolution or most settings and hasn't changed one iota from i910900 + RTX 3080 to i911900KF + RTX 4090

Clearly that isn't normal right?

I bought a new gaming PC a couple of years ago:
CPU - i910900F
GPU - RTX 3080
RAM - 32GB RAM

And for all that time I have been underwhelmed by the performance, specifically frame dips. In a bid to fix it I did an upgrade + a memory wipe. I upgraded the Mobo and added a 4090. Performance was undeniably better but I still get frame dips where neither CPU or GPU utilisation are anywhere near 100%.

I have just upgraded again having tried everything I could possibly think of from enabling Resizable BAR to updating the BIOS and so on.

So now I have a new CPU (i9 11900KF) and if anything the problem is slightly worse.

At this point my PC now looks like this:

CPU - i911900KF overclocked to 5GHz
CPU Cooler - Not sure will check ASAP but it is liquid cooled
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maxiums XII Extreme LGA 1200 Extended ATX Intel Z490
RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
SSD/HDD - 2 x Samsung 970 Evo PLus 1TB
GPU - RTX 4090
Chassis - ?
OS - Windows 11
Monitor - Sony BRAVIA OLED
BIOS version - will confirm but it's the very latest one (installed today)

I play on a 60hz TV and have zero interest in anything more than 60fps, I just want a completely locked 60 at max settings on 4K across everything and it seems utterly impossible at this point and I am beyond exasperated. Aside from the obvious expense of all these components it's absurd that I cannot get a consistent frame rate with the specs.

Interesting notes:

- Lowering resolution has little to no impact despite halving or even quartering the load
- DLSS or equivalent similarly seem to do nothing and if anything they add to the dips
- Most games have areas that are buttery smooth and one or two games (RDR2 springs to mind) are essentially immune to this issue but 95% of games I play are unable to hit 60fps at 4K with any consistency.
- I routinely check benchmarks for games to see what I should expect and I always fall short in practice
- The upgrades were all done by a friend who is a head of IT with 20 years of experience and he also cannot figure out why.

Can someone wave a magic wand or something cos I am so fed up with owning a near top of the line PC and having to judder through every game.
Why did you go with 2666 ram I would think 3200 would be a better fit.

Oct 7, 2024
Why would it max it out?
You might not understand how games and a. gaming PC work

You don't seem to be responding in good faith so I'm just going to wait for others to respond. If I have that wrong then I apologise, I really do appreciate people taking the time to help me with my problem but this line of questioning / assumptions doesn't seem to be that.

TRENDING THREADS