Question Why does my second (external) hard drive not have winload.efi?

Jul 24, 2024
Hello,

I haven't been able to boot from my second (external) SSD for a while after CHKDSK seemed to fix bad sectors. I get a \boot Error 98 message when I boot.

I tried bcdboot E:\Windows /s V: /f uefi command (where E: is my external hard drive with Windows 10 installed, and where V: is my assigned EFI partition, using 'diskpart') to rebuild my BCD/EFI files on the EFI volume of my external SSD, but I get an error saying there was a problem copying over files.

r/Windows10 - Why does my second (external) hard drive not have winload.efi?

Upon further investigation, I see that I don't seem to have a winload.efi file in my E:\windows\system32\boot directory, which I think causes the problem that prevents me from copying the relevant files to my EFI partition when carrying out the bcdboot command mentioned above. I suspect the winload.efi file got deleted or corrupted (and then deleted) a while ago, again, I think via CHKDSK.

r/Windows10 - winload.efi file missing

*winload.efi file missing; \en-US directory above is empty*

r/Windows10 - Normal-looking \windows\system32\boot directory with winload.efi (on C: drive/internal hard drive)

*Normal-looking \windows\system32\boot directory with winload.efi (on C: drive/internal hard drive)*

Now, I have no idea how to rebuild my BCD or get winload.efi installed on my external hard drive again. I can't seem to use bootrec /fixmbr - /fixboot - /scanos - /rebuildbcd commands because these seem to be applied only to the internal hard drive on whichever computer I'm using to try to fix my external SSD winload.efi or BCD (the same applies for bcdedit).

Anyone have any idea how to get winload.efi back in my external SSD windows\system32\boot directory without reinstalling Windows from scratch?

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2024
For starters Windows is NOT designed to be booted from external media. Anything you do at this point will only make matters worse.
Ok.

I mean, I salvaged the SATA III SSD that was in an old desktop and whose PSU burned out. I thought I'd use the SSD (with the old Windows 10 install and all the files) as a bootcamp drive to go with an old MacBook Pro that was given to me recently. Or, just to use it as an alternate boot drive with some laptops I have since I no longer have a working desktop (getting a replacement PSU would be worth as much as getting a new old desktop).

So no, then?

Ok.

I mean, I salvaged the SATA III SSD that was in an old desktop and whose PSU burned out. I thought I'd use the SSD (with the old Windows 10 install and all the files) as a bootcamp drive to go with an old MacBook Pro that was given to me recently. Or, just to use it as an alternate boot drive with some laptops I have since I no longer have a working desktop (getting a replacement PSU would be worth as much as getting a new old desktop).

So no, then?
No matter how you intend to use that drive you will have to reinstall Windows and all software.

TRENDING THREADS