Uninstall Norton System Works

In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
Where do I go to check on this?

WBL

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I find it hard to believe that you can be so perpetually confused about your
computer.

OR, are you a troll. Maybe just stupid???

"William B. Lurie" wrote:

> In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
> manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
> There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
> access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
> I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
> Where do I go to check on this?
>
> WBL

Basically you have to completely uninstall the program. To do this you must
first go to add remove programs and run the removal of systemworks. Then you
manually go to the directory and manually remove it using windows explorer.
Check all your logical drives as NSW has a habit of scattering bit of itself
everywhere. THEN go into the registry and delete any Symantec keys you find.
You now have a clean system.

I'm presuming you don't have any other Symantec programs on the machine. If
you do it becomes more complicated and you have to know what the other files
are for.

At this point I usually defrag the drive(s). Then install as a new install.

Take it slow. Norton programs are among the most difficult to get rid of.
Good luck.
Regards,

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
> manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
> There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
> access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
> I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
> Where do I go to check on this?
>
> WBL

Thanks, Mr. Moose... you are mostly correct, but every
set of their instructions breaks down, for reasons such as I
described.

--
William B. Lurie

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
> manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
> There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
> access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
> I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
> Where do I go to check on this?
>
> WBL

Control panel, user accounts, will show you what you need to know. Page 49
of your System Works manual for the way to uninstall. Out of interest are
you going to reinstall or replace with something else?

Richard.

Richard wrote:

> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>>In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
>>manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
>>There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
>>access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
>>I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
>>Where do I go to check on this?
>>
>>WBL
>

> Control panel, user accounts, will show you what you need to know. Page 49
> of your System Works manual for the way to uninstall. Out of interest are
> you going to reinstall or replace with something else?
>
> Richard.

I've been through all of the manual, and worked with
their techs, and they gave me a zillion documents starting with
"How to uninstall System Works 2004 manually".
Yes, I already have NSW2005 ready to install once NSW2004
is off the machine.

--
William B. Lurie

What's wrong with being confused about one's computer? The very existence
of these newsgroups, and the many folks who use them, shows that it's quite
normal to be confused.

Dan S

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I find it hard to believe that you can be so perpetually confused about
your
> computer.
>
> OR, are you a troll. Maybe just stupid???
>

> "William B. Lurie" wrote:
>
> > In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
> > manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
> > There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
> > access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
> > I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
> > Where do I go to check on this?
> >
> > WBL

Dan, it takes all kinds of people to make a World. Some people
have the mistaken notion that, because they know the answer to
a 'simple' question that somebody else doesn't, that gives them the
privilege of sounding off. Pity people like that, but don't try
to educate them.
Bill L.

--
William B. Lurie

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Go to control panel---users---and set yourself as administrator.
"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
> manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
> There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
> access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
> I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
> Where do I go to check on this?
>
> WBL

it is possible to clean out all of the junk installed by Symantec with such
things as RegSeeker(it's free). In my case I just uninstalled everything from
Symantec last night, and installes Avast as my AV program instead(also free).
I did have to go into safe mode, as an admin, to remove one file(a .dll) .
Norton System Works is not a good fit for XP IMO. It causes more harm than it
fixes, and whatever you spent on it was wasted as there are free programs
that do a better job. I was a die hard Symantec fan until this week, when I
downloades and ran a free AV program and it found 6 trojana, several time
bombs, and other nasties. The free program that I downloaded from Trend Micro
just before Avast found 26 trojans. Norton found none of these. Norton AV
failed to find 32 trojans, the time bombs, or any other of the nasties. A
total of 40 all together, infecting 134 files. At one time Symantec was
excellent but not any more.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Richard wrote:
>
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
>>>manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
>>>There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
>>>access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
>>>I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
>>>Where do I go to check on this?
>>>
>>>WBL
>>

>> Control panel, user accounts, will show you what you need to know. Page
>> 49 of your System Works manual for the way to uninstall. Out of interest
>> are you going to reinstall or replace with something else?
>>
>> Richard.
> I've been through all of the manual, and worked with
> their techs, and they gave me a zillion documents starting with
> "How to uninstall System Works 2004 manually".
> Yes, I already have NSW2005 ready to install once NSW2004
> is off the machine.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie

When I replaced System Works 2004 with System Works 2005 on my computer I
followed the Symantec 2005 instructions.
It was not necessary to uninstall the previous installation. Part of the
System Works 2005 installation is to automatically remove previous versions
back to 2003 so I am interested as to why you find it necessary to uninstall
the 2004 version as a separate exercise.

The only program that I had to uninstall was Drive Image 7 as this is
replaced by Ghost 9 in NSW 2005 Premier.Incidentally previous DI back ups
are still usable in Ghost.

Richard.

Richard wrote:
> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>
>>Richard wrote:
>>

>>>"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

>>>Control panel, user accounts, will show you what you need to know. Page
>>>49 of your System Works manual for the way to uninstall. Out of interest
>>>are you going to reinstall or replace with something else?
>>>
>>>Richard.
>>
>>I've been through all of the manual, and worked with
>>their techs, and they gave me a zillion documents starting with
>>"How to uninstall System Works 2004 manually".
>>Yes, I already have NSW2005 ready to install once NSW2004
>>is off the machine.
>>
>>--
>> William B. Lurie
>

> When I replaced System Works 2004 with System Works 2005 on my computer I
> followed the Symantec 2005 instructions.
> It was not necessary to uninstall the previous installation. Part of the
> System Works 2005 installation is to automatically remove previous versions
> back to 2003 so I am interested as to why you find it necessary to uninstall
> the 2004 version as a separate exercise.
>
> The only program that I had to uninstall was Drive Image 7 as this is
> replaced by Ghost 9 in NSW 2005 Premier.Incidentally previous DI back ups
> are still usable in Ghost.
>
> Richard.

Richard, I'm doing what I'm doing because the Symantec Techs told me
*not* to install NSW2005 without first removing NSW2004. Mt 2004 has had
a LU1848 error pane showing whenever I do Live Update, for six months,
and I won't air in this newsgroup how impossible it is to get rid
of.....and equally impossible to get NSW2004 uninstalled, for me, using
Add/Remove, and the many many pages of printout of Symantec
documents, telling how to do it manually. They also told me not to
involve Drive Image 7 in this at all.

Bill

--
William B. Lurie

Ignore their instructions. They haven't updated their instruction in a long,
long time.

> Thanks, Mr. Moose... you are mostly correct, but every
> set of their instructions breaks down, for reasons such as I
> described.
>
> Bullwinkle. J. Moose wrote:
>
>> Basically you have to completely uninstall the program. To do this you
>> must first go to add remove programs and run the removal of systemworks.
>> Then you manually go to the directory and manually remove it using
>> windows explorer. Check all your logical drives as NSW has a habit of
>> scattering bit of itself everywhere. THEN go into the registry and delete
>> any Symantec keys you find. You now have a clean system.
>>
>> I'm presuming you don't have any other Symantec programs on the machine.
>> If you do it becomes more complicated and you have to know what the other
>> files are for.
>>
>> At this point I usually defrag the drive(s). Then install as a new
>> install.
>>
>> Take it slow. Norton programs are among the most difficult to get rid of.
>> Good luck.
>> Regards,
>>
>> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>In order to uninstall Norton System Works 2004
>>>manually, Symantec wants me to sign on as Administrator.
>>>There are files to be deleted, to which I don't have
>>>access. I'm on a one person, one profile system, so
>>>I should be signed on automatically as administrator.
>>>Where do I go to check on this?
>>>
>>>WBL
>>

> --
> William B. Lurie

I have Norton System Works [NSW] 2005, version 8.02

It was working fine for the first month of usage. Now I get that
infamous "LU1848 cannot create callback object" message.

I found the iralshl.exe file in its proper location in the registry. I
then uninstalled NSW and re-installed. Same problem.

I called Symantec and waited for over an hour. Decided to hang up. They
offer a sped-up service which claims to lessen your hold times. They
also note that callers will be charged $29.95 per call.

Since many NSW users are experiencing this LU1848 problem, one wonders
why it cannot seem to be corrected. Is it because they WANT you to
spend $29.95 even AFTER you paid $50 to buy the frickin' program? Isn't
the 1.8 BILLION dollars they earned last year enough?

I will attempt to un-install/re-install a few more time. If no success,
I will make a final un-install and start using McAfee programs. I think
Symantec is falling under its own weight. I saw the very same
phenomenon with Dell Computers!!!

On 9 Dec 2004 09:47:28 -0800, skyloop4@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have Norton System Works [NSW] 2005, version 8.02
>
> It was working fine for the first month of usage. Now I get that
> infamous "LU1848 cannot create callback object" message.

Did you try their online support pages?
Error: "LU1848: Couldn't create callback object"
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/7e7f15291a25d938882567e50048a048/ad263112bfad9e9088256e1c0069b732?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20SystemWorks&ver=2005&src=sg&pcode=nsys&svy=&csm=no
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon F wrote:
> On 9 Dec 2004 09:47:28 -0800, skyloop4@yahoo.com wrote:
>

>>I have Norton System Works [NSW] 2005, version 8.02
>>
>>It was working fine for the first month of usage. Now I get that
>>infamous "LU1848 cannot create callback object" message.
>

> Did you try their online support pages?
> Error: "LU1848: Couldn't create callback object"
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/7e7f15291a25d938882567e50048a048/ad263112bfad9e9088256e1c0069b732?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20SystemWorks&ver=2005&src=sg&pcode=nsys&svy=&csm=no
Almost impossible to get rid of, Sharon. Eventually, after enough back
and forth go-arounds with their tech support, and pages and pages of
printing out their procedures, I just live with that error message.
It means that their Live Update software can't be updated, but all
the other files do get updated.
Bill Lurie

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 15:48:18 -0500, William B. Lurie wrote:

> Almost impossible to get rid of, Sharon. Eventually, after enough back
> and forth go-arounds with their tech support, and pages and pages of
> printing out their procedures, I just live with that error message.
> It means that their Live Update software can't be updated, but all
> the other files do get updated.

Been there, done that. I used Norton's for years. When running Win98, I had
trouble with an error that was documented in their knowledge base. I kept
checking back but there was never any resolution - only the acknowledgement
that their software caused the error. This particular problem consistently
crashed explorer.exe whenever I was working with a certain file type. Mind
you, this wasn't just a burp in the shell. It was a full restart of the
entire operating system.

Didn't want to deal with the stress of risking those files to corruption
any longer so finally switched to another product. An antivirus program
should be protecting my files instead of threatening their existence on a
daily basis. While the product works fine for many systems, it won't ever
be installed on any of mine again.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User