uninstall vista and reinstall xp

lkdomenech

Honorable
May 9, 2013
i installed windows vista on my dell inspiron 6000. It originally came with xp on it. I want to remove vista and reinstall xp. I have tried to boot from cd drive, and to format hard drive it wont let me. I get running newer version of windows and it wont let me install xp. please help this is driving me nuts

If you don't have a restore partition you can reformat before the setup. When you put in the cd, press r on the first screen to go to repair. Then type "format c:" it'll say all data will be lost, press y. And then you can go to setup xp.

The only problem with your solution is if he has an XP upgrade cd.
Once you format the drive with an "upgrade cd" you will need another windows cd. Win95-98-2000 etc to perform the upgrade.

An "Upgrade disk" not regular retail disk checks the hard drive for an existing windows instillation .If none is found it will ask for a copy of windows to be inserted in the cd/dvd drive. After formatting it will not find an existing operating system. That is why I keep all of my old disks.

lkdomenech

Honorable
May 9, 2013
at what screen do i type r on. I am not sure im not a pc guy but i can follow direction very well

5183-500-275.jpg