Unnanounced AMD Threadripper 1920 Listed, Other Non-X Models Likely To Follow

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I'd really like to know if there is a significant die area difference between B1 and B2 specifically for all those extra PCIe lanes and infinity fabric between dies/sockets - are all of these in all current Zeppelin dies but unused or only in TR/EPYC?

That's very obviously NOT the Intel part this is supposed to compete with and gaming is NOT the market it's aimed at either. Do you have a post quota you're trying to achieve?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
the 10/20 winning in gaming comment is funny. other reviewers already say that anything past 8 cores, overheat and throttle severely on the Intel sides.
And they suffer vastly more of issues related to the "core glueing" of their mesh topology (including being slower than corei7700k on gaming and even slower in core vs core performance).

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Tamalero,

a) At higher resolutions, this is far less relevant, GPU bottleneck prevails.

b) If one is doing other tasks aswell, such as streaming (an increasingly popular thing), 8+ cores helps a lot. Checkout GN's review of the 1700 vs. 7700K.

It's very true. Seems like the hardware community is now a gamer fest. I miss the days where gaming didn't control the entire computer hardware enthusiast industry.

InvalidError

Titan

Aside from gaming, there isn't much left where system performance is relevant to the average consumer. Even the crappiest modern PC is still perfectly fine for media consumption, doing homework, web browsing, etc. as long as you give it at least 8GB of RAM to eliminate most swapping.

Very true. Unfortunately.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I think this site isn't very representative of the PC hardware market. For instance, there's nearly zero coverage of home servers and project PCs, on here. Other things people are doing with PCs includes robotics and 3D printing. When is the last time you saw any coverage of those subjects? How about video editing, motion graphics, or 3D modeling & rendering? And anything involving Linux?

I'm also surprised not to see more coverage of cloud computing services.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

And what makes you think this site intended for "the average consumer"? It's clearly aimed at PC hardware enthusiasts, and a specific subset thereof.

InvalidError

Titan

What I was responding to was a complaint about the lack of non-gaming benchmarks, not about the THG readership. Unless you wish to dispute that the bulk of mainstream everyday PC uses other than gaming can be served by entry-level PCs or even run-of-the-mill smartphones and tablets, then there is nothing to discuss there.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

TechyInAZ implied that gaming controlled the computer enthusiast industry. That's what post you replied to. Nothing about benchmarks which, BTW, are also applicable to many of the areas I mentioned.

That said, I'm not about to engage in a long debate over benchmark selection. I'm just pointing out that this wasn't about benchmarks but rather what defines the PC hardware enthusiast community. I don't even care to debate that, beyond pointing out that Tom's has clearly picked out a specific niche and isn't representing the community proportionately. Fine if they want to do that - it's their site.

Facts? the only consumer platform to have triple channel (3 channel) memory from intel for it's best memory configuration was Nehalem / Westmere cpu's on the X58 chipset back in 2008....

Every thing else at that moment and/or after that been dual channel for mainstream and quad channel for HEDT (High End Desktop) (excluding kabylake-x cpu's).

Now you can run skylake-x in triple channel (you only need to populate 3 or 6 memory slots out of the 8 to do it) but its capable of running in quad channel just like the last 2 HEDT chipsets platforms from intel (X79 and X99).

It does from Intel's marketing but there marketing is also claiming 68 PCIE lanes LOL. I think we should wait for reviews to see what is what.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I find it a bit hard to believe they actually included hardware support for 3-way interleave. If not, then it's not actually triple-channel - just single channel with the DIMMs mapped sequentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.