[SOLVED] Unresponsive Web Pages (Network OK)

Zak32

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
Hi all,

I have a user at my workplace who has reported websites loading extremely slowly. I've been to check myself and it's definitely as slow as he says

When he tries to load a website, it'll hang there for about 5 seconds before saying the page has become unresponsive, with a choice to wait or exit, eventually the page will load if you click wait. This can happen with any website, but not always all of them, and sometimes the same websites that had the issue previously, will suddenly work perfectly fine. We've also noticed that once a page has loaded, navigating the website isn't an issue at all. With YouTube for example, it'll take forever to load, but the videos don't buffer at all

I've tried doing a speed test and the results are fine and as expected. I've tried clearing his cache, history, saved info etc. I've tried flushing DNS and giving him a static IP rather than using DHCP. Windows is all up to date as well. Virus scans don't show any issues

I want to try completely resetting his Chrome, but the odd thing is that the exact same thing happens on Edge, which he's never used before and might as well be a fresh install, so I don't really understand what's going on

Any ideas? :)

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Check Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur when the loading is slow.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool first and just watch for a few minutes. Get a sense of what the system is doing and when the system reaches some steady state.

Leave the tool window open and move aside some so you can continue to watch.

Load the website. Watch what the system is doing or trying to do during the hang time and after.

It may take a few tries to understand the tool and the process for using it.

Key is to discover what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Also check Task Scheduler: something else may be being triggered during the loading attempts.

Zak32

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks for the responses. I've checked Reliability History and Event Viewer and not seeing any new errors or events at all really. Task Manager and Resource Monitor are normal, basically no increase in system resources while loading web pages, only when initially opening Chrome

Currently running a malware scan but I'm doubting that's the issue. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi all,

I have a user at my workplace who has reported websites loading extremely slowly. I've been to check myself and it's definitely as slow as he says

When he tries to load a website, it'll hang there for about 5 seconds before saying the page has become unresponsive, with a choice to wait or exit, eventually the page will load if you click wait. This can happen with any website, but not always all of them, and sometimes the same websites that had the issue previously, will suddenly work perfectly fine. We've also noticed that once a page has loaded, navigating the website isn't an issue at all. With YouTube for example, it'll take forever to load, but the videos don't buffer at all

I've tried doing a speed test and the results are fine and as expected. I've tried clearing his cache, history, saved info etc. I've tried flushing DNS and giving him a static IP rather than using DHCP. Windows is all up to date as well. Virus scans don't show any issues

I want to try completely resetting his Chrome, but the odd thing is that the exact same thing happens on Edge, which he's never used before and might as well be a fresh install, so I don't really understand what's going on

Any ideas? :)

Thanks
Have you tried accessing those websites on another device? The websites could be the issue.

It’s probably not the issue, but then again, I had a browser-related issue recently that it fixed. Might as well run sfc /scannow and see if that does the trick. If you’re already working on it, you can let it run in the background.

Does the user have any extensions in Chrome or Edge? Is there a VPN involved? What happens in a private/incognito tab?

Zak32

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
Have you tried accessing those websites on another device? The websites could be the issue.

It’s probably not the issue, but then again, I had a browser-related issue recently that it fixed. Might as well run sfc /scannow and see if that does the trick. If you’re already working on it, you can let it run in the background.

Does the user have any extensions in Chrome or Edge? Is there a VPN involved? What happens in a private/incognito tab?
The sites work fine on other devices. I've run an sfc scan, just waiting for the user to reboot!

There's no extensions or add-ons, Edge is basically a blank install since he never uses it. No VPN, desktop user with an ethernet cable. Incognito presents the same issue :(

Thanks

Zak32

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
At some point, it might be easier to do a fresh install of Windows. Just checking, have you updated the network drivers? How is the network setup? Is that filters these websites?
Yeah a fresh install would probably solve the problem, I'm also gonna check if the issue persists on another user account as well. No I haven't updated network drivers but can give that a try. We don't have any filters in place for web browsing, our firewall just blocks traffic to all the usual dodgy websites relating to gambling, adult content etc.