[SOLVED] Unstable Ryzen 5 2600x build (RAM issues)

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Motherboard: MSI Bazooka B450M
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (Water Cooled)
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200Mhz (F4-3200C16D-32GTZR)
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Storage:
250GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus (Windows 10 + Apps)
500GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO (Original Media + Premiere Pro Project + Proxies)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 N1, 650W

So, I didn't know anything about the existence of QVL lists when I was buying my build components. It turns out I bought a RAM that it isn't on the list, of course.
The thing is, I can get it all running "stable" with XMP enabled, 3200Mhz, 16-18-18-38 and 1.344v, but after one week of use it just starts a lot of crazy BSOD. I'm saying one week of use but I've already clean formatted everything twice, and same thing happens after one week.
For the last three days I've been tweaking timings, clock and voltages trying to get it passed perfectly through Memtest86, without succes. The weird thing is that when using just one stick of memory (16GB) at a time, it passes without any errors through Memtest86 (at full speed), the errors just occurs when using both sticks together (32GB).
I've heard that 2nd gen of Ryzen shouldn't struggle in RAM compatibility, am I just unlucky? Anyone has experienced something similar that can give a hand?

Solution
DRAM Calculator:
open

View: https://imgur.com/5omGugI

Taiphoon Burner:
open

View: https://imgur.com/OGH55cl

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Have you tried the ram and soc at a higher voltage yet ?
Just know 1.20v or higher on soc can cause corruption.
Yes. I've tried setting the DRAM voltage up to 1.5v, without success on Memtest86. I'm not sure about where can I change Soc voltage at MSI motherboards, but I've tried setting the CLDO_VDDP voltage at 0.975v, 0.980v and 0.985v, which gave me the same unsuccessful results.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Not all XMP profiles are stable on Ryzen builds, even 2nd gen. Use Taiphoon Burner to find out what kind of memory (Samsung B-die, E-die, Micron A-die etc...) you have and then use the Ryzen DRAM calculator to get all the timings set up correctly. It should be stable at 3200 MHz that way but you can probably go a little beyond that as long as you stay under 1.4V on RAM (or you're absolutely sure that it gets sufficient cooling). I wouldn't take SOC voltage far over 1.1V because GamersNexus found that there can be huge differences between entered, measured (in BIOS and software), and actual SOC voltages.

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Not all XMP profiles are stable on Ryzen builds, even 2nd gen. Use Taiphoon Burner to find out what kind of memory (Samsung B-die, E-die, Micron A-die etc...) you have and then use the Ryzen DRAM calculator to get all the timings set up correctly. It should be stable at 3200 MHz that way but you can probably go a little beyond that as long as you stay under 1.4V on RAM (or you're absolutely sure that it gets sufficient cooling). I wouldn't take SOC voltage far over 1.1V because GamersNexus found that there can be huge differences between entered, measured (in BIOS and software), and actual SOC voltages.
Did as you said. I'm sorry but I'm still a beginner, can you help me to fill the ryzen dram calculator parameters?
Here's the Taiphoon Burner results:
file:///C:/Users/Caio%20PC/Desktop/G.Skill%20F4-3200C16-16GTZR.html

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I have that exact same RAM running at 3400 MHz on my Asus B450-F with a ryzen 5 2600.
If you can wait until later tonight or tomorrow I can possibly help you a bit more.
I'll a screen shot of the settings shown in the DRAM calculator and Taiphoon Burner.
My settings (for 3400 MHz) are in the right (blue) column and the red settings in the left column are the recommended safe settings for 3200 MHz.

That may help you get your to run a bit more stable.

Last edited:

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
I have that exact same RAM running at 3400 MHz on my Asus B450-F with a ryzen 5 2600.
If you can wait until later tonight or tomorrow I can take and post a screen shot of the settings shown in the DRAM calculator for me.
That may help you get your to run a bit more stable.
That would be very helpful! Of course I can wait, thanks!

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Let me know if you need any more screen shots or info on what settings I used to get to 3400 MHz.

Also if you can upload a screen of your DRAM Calculator and Taiphoon to imgur.com and post the links here.
That way someone may be able to see/notice something you miss or overlook.

I'd also recommend that you check the MSI forums and see what BIOS version people are using to get the Best RAM speeds.
Like this thread:
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=318304.msg1816511#msg1816511

And if you do update your BIOS make sure to install the newest chipset drivers for your MB first:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-BAZOOKA#down-driver&Win10 64

Last edited:

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Sorry for not being here to help you, but I can see DMAN999 has done a great job for you so far. I just have one little thing to add about tRFC. It's pretty important on Ryzen systems to get this right.

tRFC actually comes in 3 flavors in some BIOSes: tRFC, tRFC/2, and tRFC/4. You can find those values in the "Additional calculators" tab of the DRAM calculator. For the input, which is in nanoseconds, make the following calculation: (tRFC from the first tab / DRAM frequency) * 2000 and round it to one or two decimal places.

The "tRFC (alt)" result in the first tab is just another possible stable configuration that needs the same calculation.

Coincidentally, I have the same Hynix AFR memory but from Corsair (2x8GB Vengeance LPX 3000C15). I haven't been able to get it past 3200 MHz on my Asus ROG Strix X450-I (yet), so 3400 might not be in the cards for you.

Reactions: DMAN999

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Just passed perfectly through MemTest86 using the same exact settings you've posted! Thank you so much!

The only weirdness is that now the system tries to boot a couple of times before actually booting up. I don't really know why, but after a couple of turning on and off, the system finally boots! Well, at least now I have my memory running stable at 3200Mhz!

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Sorry for not being here to help you, but I can see DMAN999 has done a great job for you so far. I just have one little thing to add about tRFC. It's pretty important on Ryzen systems to get this right.

tRFC actually comes in 3 flavors in some BIOSes: tRFC, tRFC/2, and tRFC/4. You can find those values in the "Additional calculators" tab of the DRAM calculator. For the input, which is in nanoseconds, make the following calculation: (tRFC from the first tab / DRAM frequency) * 2000 and round it to one or two decimal places.

The "tRFC (alt)" result in the first tab is just another possible stable configuration that needs the same calculation.

Coincidentally, I have the same Hynix AFR memory but from Corsair (2x8GB Vengeance LPX 3000C15). I haven't been able to get it past 3200 MHz on my Asus ROG Strix X450-I (yet), so 3400 might not be in the cards for you.
Well, nice to know for future overclocks! Thanks for sharing!

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Just passed perfectly through MemTest86 using the same exact settings you've posted! Thank you so much!

The only weirdness is that now the system tries to boot a couple of times before actually booting up. I don't really know why, but after a couple of turning on and off, the system finally boots! Well, at least now I have my memory running stable at 3200Mhz!
Please post a screen shot of your Taiphoon Burner read results.
It will be helpful for others with questions regarding your same 32 GB RAM kit.

PS
Please choose the post that helped you most as the Best Answer.

Last edited:

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Please post a screen shot of your Taiphoon Burner read results.
It will be helpful for others with questions regarding your same 32 GB RAM kit.

PS
Please choose the post that helped you most as the Best Answer.
Actually, after passing through MemTest86, with the system booted I went to check my RAM speed at the "Performance" tab at task manager, it turns out my RAM speed was at 2133MHz, which is weird because I'm sure I'd set to 3200MHz. So, I went into the BIOS and that's what I see:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVTssRefvTPWYzA3xmiuHLqyz0Z3NdNG/view?usp=sharing

DRAM Frequency is set to 3200MHz, but BIOS DDR Speed says that is at 2133MHZ. Any thoughts?

caiofernandesart

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Actually, after passing through MemTest86, with the system booted I went to check my RAM speed at the "Performance" tab at task manager, it turns out my RAM speed was at 2133MHz, which is weird because I'm sure I'd set to 3200MHz. So, I went into the BIOS and that's what I see:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVTssRefvTPWYzA3xmiuHLqyz0Z3NdNG/view?usp=sharing

DRAM Frequency is set to 3200MHz, but BIOS DDR Speed says that is at 2133MHZ. Any thoughts?
FINALLY SOLVED!

I went back to BIOS and based on what MasterMadBones have said about tRFC and also on DMAN999 screenshots, I've decided to tweak just a few parameters and let everything else set to "Auto". So, I did a mix of DMAN999 screenshot and my actual results from Ryzen Calculator. The parameters that worked are (showing only the ones I've changed):

DRAM Frequency: 3200Mhz
SoC Voltage: 1.0250v
DRAM Voltage: 1.380v
Command Rate: 1
tCL: 16
tRCDRD: 18
tRCDWR: 18
tRP: 18
tRAS: 38
tRFC: 596
Gear Down Mode: Enabled
Power Down Enable: Enabled
Bank Group Swap: Disabled
Bank Group Swap Alt: Disabled
ProcODT: 60 ohm
RttNom: 34 ohm
RttPark: 240 ohm (This was the one that was making the system reboot several times before actually booting)
ClkDrvStren: 24 ohm
AddrCmdDrvStren: 24 ohm
CsOdtDrvStren: 24 ohm
CkeDrvStren: 24 ohm

Now it's booting without any issues and also running at 3200MHz. Thank you all for your time!

Screenshots from Taiphoon Burner and Ryzen Calculator:

View: https://imgur.com/a/4qg0uTC

View: https://imgur.com/a/MaHLGBn