[SOLVED] Unstable XMP

Feb 2, 2020
Hey guys, I have this ram gskill F4-4000C19D-16GTZKW and I can only get xmp to work if I put it in relax oc. I'm not sure what relax oc does but it should run at auto right? and even in relax oc it has errors sometimes. memtest passes, but games sometimes crash and firefox has memory glitches so definitely not stable. I'm using the gigabyte gaming x with it and I have learned that it isn't on the compatibility list https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z390-gaming-x_20191108.pdf, but a similar ram is which is the gskill F4-4000C18Q-32GTZ. now I set XMP off, set the frequency to 4000 and the timings to auto but it runs at 3866 and CL22(!!!) for some reason. and I still don't think it's stable. is there any chance the stick is actually bad and I should ask for warranty or should I just buy some 3600mhz cl16 ram and ebay this?
edit: I also upped the voltage to 1.4v and the system agent voltage to 1.1v for the 3866 manual oc. but if it sets the timings to 22-28-28-64 then it's really bad right?

Solution
If the ram modules isn't listed on the compatibility list, then you can only hope to be able to return it. However, you may want to write an email (or forum if they have one) to claim a fix on that in their next upcoming bios update.
If the ram modules isn't listed on the compatibility list, then you can only hope to be able to return it. However, you may want to write an email (or forum if they have one) to claim a fix on that in their next upcoming bios update.

Solution
Feb 2, 2020
yeah thanks. way past rma here. just wondering if non-compatibility can cause such low performance. but now I think it's stable at 1.1v system agent 1.4v dram at 3600mhz 16-19-19-39 which makes me question if it might be the motherboard that has problems reaching 4000. will write that email I guess

never imagined I have to match the ram to the mobo. this didn't use to be a thing did it? I made builds in the past with high speed ddr3 ram where this was a non-issue, standard stick went in standard mobo it's not like I'm going for 4400mhz here

Well - not to say a RAM module won't work if not listed in mobo's compatibility list, but when included in the list the manufactor of the mobo guarantee that it work with that particular mobo (but as always, you need to write what's printed with tiny letters too).

4000+ RAM is tricky and is not needed if you have Ryzen. Anyways, you should only run the RAM as stated in your motherboard's QVL memory compatibility list, and be sure to not only match the model but also the version/revision as they might have different ICs, e.g. Samsung vs Hynix, and not be compatible.