Question Unwanted restore on LG Gram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2023
Help me I'm desperate! Clumsily on my LG Gram I launched (by mistake) the PC recovery through the initial console. Now when I turn on the notebook it asks me to proceed with the restore. Is it possible that in two seconds I reset my hard disk? How can I go back and recover my data? Many thanks to whoever can help me

Help me I'm desperate! Clumsily on my LG Gram I launched (by mistake) the PC recovery through the initial console. Now when I turn on the notebook it asks me to proceed with the restore. Is it possible that in two seconds I reset my hard disk? How can I go back and recover my data? Many thanks to whoever can help me
It takes several steps before you could wipe out your data and if you have not gotten to that point just yet then exit.
If you are on the LG Recovery Center, you could just click the "X" on the top right corner and exit the recovery and boot into Windows.

If you clicked the 'Next' button after the warning "LG Electronics is not responsible for any Data lost due to factory reset." your data was wiped from the disk.

Jan 13, 2023
It takes several steps before you could wipe out your data and if you have not gotten to that point just yet then exit.
If you are on the LG Recovery Center, you could just click the "X" on the top right corner and exit the recovery and boot into Windows.

If you clicked the 'Next' button after the warning "LG Electronics is not responsible for any Data lost due to factory reset." your data was wiped from the disk.
That is, all the data was deleted in one step? is there no way to recover them?

NB: I never said that LG is responsible…

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What kind of disk is it? If you put it another PC, either directly or in an enclosure over USB, you may be able to recover the contents to another drive using a software tool like Recuva. If it was only a few seconds, the drive certainly wasn't completely written over with zeros, so at least some of the data is theoretically recoverable. The question becomes if it quickly wrote over anything, in which case that data is gone (that's why keeping backups, preferably multiple backups, of important data is considered basic upkeep when owning a PC, no different than changing the filter in your furnace or the oil in your car).

Last edited:
Reactions: Feliceconfuso
Jan 13, 2023
What kind of disk is it? If you put it another PC, either directly or in an enclosure over USB, you may be able to recover the contents to another drive using a software tool like Recuva. If it was only a few seconds, the drive certainly wasn't completely written over with zeros, so at least some of the data is theoretically recover. The question becomes if it quickly wrote over anything, in which case that data is gone (that's why keeping backups, preferably multiple backups, of important data is considered basic upkeep when owning a PC, no different than changing the filter in your furnace or the oil in your car).
it was 4 seconds max. Are you saying I should get an external SSD reader to try? è una ssd BC711 NVMe

That is, all the data was deleted in one step? is there no way to recover them?
If you just entered the recovery screen (2 steps required) and did not moved forward ...then your data is still there.
It takes 5-6 steps to wipe the data .

it was 4 seconds max. Are you saying I should get an external SSD reader to try? è una ssd BC711 NVMe
NVMe SSDs are mighty fast and can write several gigabytes in 4 seconds. Your data could be still there, but you will need to get the SSD out to retrieve it.

NB: I never said that LG is responsible…
I did not say or implied that anyone was responsible. That is what the messages on the laptop says.
Again, if you did not agreed to that warning...your data is is till on the disk

USAFRet

Titan
Again, if you did not agreed to that warning...your data is is till on the disk
Caveat to this...
Some/most of the data may be recoverable.
I strongly doubt that the entire drive including the whole OS is 100% recoverable exactly as it was.

Recovering half of a txt file in a readable condition is one thing.
100% of the system as it was is something else.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

For an NVMe, you'd have to install it directly into another PC. Or install Windows on a new drive in this PC, boot to it, and then recover from the NVMe.

A lot of the data is likely recoverable. I wouldn't bank on 100% of it. In any case, once you recover the data and have it safely stored elsewhere, you're going to want to wipe the hard drive and freshly install Windows on this drive. And make a backup plan for next time; there are a lot of ways to lose data when you don't have backups.

Reactions: Feliceconfuso
Jan 13, 2023
I'll update you on the problem.
I connected the SSD with an external adapter. I only see the structure but not the files. In your opinion, what would be the best software to attempt data recovery, given that the memory is physically perfect?
Thanks to whoever will answer me

Status
Not open for further replies.