Sep 12, 2024
Hey guys, I'm currently running Windows 10 and looking to upgrade to Windows 11. I built my PC mid way through 2020 and had my old 2tb HDD from my previous computer mirrored onto a 2tb Sata SSD. I also bought a 1tb NVMe SSD for extra storage, the idea was to continue using the SSD with my Windows 10 OS and use the NVMe for games. Ever since Windows 11 came out my PC said that it didn't support it. I didn't care much about it because I wasn't looking to upgrade at the time because I was hearing about problems with Windows 11. I figure enough time has passed and most problems are either fixed or have solutions so I'd like to upgrade. I ran the PC Health Check and it said that Secure Boot needed to be enabled and TSM 2.0 as well. I was able to get TSM 2.0 enabled with a BIOS update but looking further into Secure Boot I found that it only works by having CSM off (I have an ASUS ROG Strix Z-390 E Gaming btw), but if I turn it off my drives do not show up when I try to boot. I found out that if my drive was GPT it would not work with CSM off. I found a thread on here talking about how to fix it by creating a partition in the drive to change from GPT to MBR. When I tried to do that it said that it is only supported on drives that are GPT. Doing further investigation, I found that my boot drive (2tb SSD) is MBR and my game drive (1tb NVMe) is GPT. Then while researching about it I found out that GPT is safer and better than MBR. So with all this my questions are:
Is upgrading to Windows 11 worth it?
Should I change my game drive to MBR, and if so, how?
Is there a way to solve this problem without changing to MBR?
Am I going about this the right way?

I'm not necessarily in a rush to upgrade. Thanks in advance for the help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!
Is there a way to solve this problem without changing to MBR?
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Are you sure you can't enable Secure Boot without needing to enable CSM?

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Is upgrading to Windows 11 worth it?
There's a saying, if it aint broke, don't fix it. If your OS is activated on your current platform, I would reinstall Windows 11 after creating the bootable USB installer, though after you've made sure your BIOS is on the latest version, that you install the OS onto a smaller capacity SSD, then have the NVMe drive as your game library drive, while the HDD is for additional storage.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

triplex1

Proper
Jun 2, 2024
all your disks are GPT from since you had win10, at some point whether you want to or not you will change them because their support will stop,
you can also activate the Secure boot from the win settings and no bios is needed