[SOLVED] Updated 2nd PC Build, tell me what you think:

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Ok, I updated my PC list for 2020.
I'm aiming for a PC that can comfortably handle 2k 144hz. This build isn't intended for attempting 4k.
I only really intend to use this PC for gaming and/or sometimes editing.
I was recommended the motherboard, memory, and case fans because their lights can be synced up.

1. CPU - Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (is this the most efficient cpu for what i'm aiming to do?)
  1. Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  2. Memory - GeIL SUPER LUCE RGB SYNC 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
  3. Storage - Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  4. SSD - Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  5. GPU -
  6. Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME Video Card (is the 2080 ti necessary?)
  7. Case - Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case
  8. Power Supply - Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  9. CPU Cooler - Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  10. Case fans - Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB 59 CFM 120 mm Fan x4
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Solution
It doesn't show the full specs of the PC, so I can't give it a complete evaluation.
As for what I am able to see from that list...
What do you thinks wrong w/ it?
1)Case: The design is terrible. Too much focus on 'bling', and sacrificing cooling ability in the process.
Closed off, or near closed off, front panels are the nemesis of high end gpus - some mid range models too. They will either suffer high temps, or thermal throttle under a large enough load.
Adding fans doesn't fix it when the pathways are already choked off.
Glass is also an insulator of heat, meaning it does not easily pass through. Side panel windows are fine. Any more than that isn't going to be a benefit.

2)9900K CANNOT be kept cool with a 120mm AIO, I don't...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
is this the most efficient cpu for what i'm aiming to do?
Nope.
Ryzen 3600/3600X, or 3700X would do it even better... but if you don't care for AMD... well, I'm not going to talk you out of it, except mentioning that they'll be cheaper - but you will lose overclocking headroom.
The Ryzen 3000 chips are pretty much topped-off out of the box, but some people insist on OC'ing them anyway. What worked with Intel cpus won't work for these; it'll actually yield lower performance.
The FCLK, memory frequency and tighter timings are key for a Ryzen 3000 OC; core clock only doesn't do jack-all.

Seems to me that you are paying a price premium for RGB "bling"
motherboard, ram, case,cooler, gpu....
Too much to my taste.
But, whatever turns you on.

On your list, the i7-9700K will usually outperform a 8700K despite 4 fewer threads.
Most cpu centric games actually take advantage of only a few threads.
Single thread performance is better with the 9700K.
If your games are online multiplayer with many participants, only then would a 8700K and 12 threads be better.
Or, ryzen with many threads.

If you play fast action games, buy the strongest gpu your wallet will allow.
I might think for your use that a 2080 super would do just fine.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Would you recommend the Ryzen 7 or 9?
Ryzen 7 3700X.

With the exception of Ryzen 3600, the 3600X, 3700X, 3800X, 3900X, and 3950X all literally have the same single core speed; in game performance is practically identical between the 5.
The extra threads of the other cpus won't shine until you're editing, but that also depends on how many threads the program in question can even use.

I assume the 9 is better...
It's better if you actually manage to max out the 16 threads on a 3700X, otherwise you will just throw away 170USD that you either could've kept, or spent towards something else.

...but will the 7 do what I need it to do without OC'ing it?
I'm not sure where you're going with this?
The 3600 and 3600X can game and edit as well. What can't a 3700X do?

Overclocking is basically dead with Ryzen 3000, as well as the Navi gpus.
You can try to OC the cpu if you want, but if you just OC the core frequency - which is what works with like 99% of Intel's cpus - it will actually perform worse.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Ryzen 7 3700X.

With the exception of Ryzen 3600, the 3600X, 3700X, 3800X, 3900X, and 3950X all literally have the same single core speed; in game performance is practically identical between the 5.
The extra threads of the other cpus won't shine until you're editing, but that also depends on how many threads the program in question can even use.

It's better if you actually manage to max out the 16 threads on a 3700X, otherwise you will just throw away 170USD that you either could've kept, or spent towards something else.

I'm not sure where you're going with this?
The 3600 and 3600X can game and edit as well. What can't a 3700X do?

Overclocking is basically dead with Ryzen 3000, as well as the Navi gpus.
You can try to OC the cpu if you want, but if you just OC the core frequency - which is what works with like 99% of Intel's cpus - it will actually perform worse.

The way I see it, when it gets to that point where I feel like I have to overclock my 3700x to get a decent performance, where I see its bottle necking my GPU, then I'll just replace it with a newer CPU because its obviously starting to show its age. It seems like the life span of CPU's tend to last longer than GPU's before its run its course depending on how high end it was. Even assuming overclocking would help at all, it still shouldn't be a concern anytime soon with AMD's new 3rd generation CPU's. For instance, comparing AMD's Ryzen 5 3600X to Intel's older I7-7700K, it doesn't look like a big leap in performance, more or less comparable according to the benchmark below. However, the Ryzen 5 3600X doesn't have to work as hard under heavy load as the 7700K largely because AMD's new Zen 2 architecture makes it more efficient. The higher thread & core count helps, but the brand new core design is the true X-Factor.

Link: I7-770K vs Ryzen 5 3600X

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Dcopymope
Yeah, like back in 2012 when I built my first PC with a 3570K...
"An I5 is all you need for games!", they said.
Look how quickly they became irrelevant, with I7s still going strong. Oh, how I regret not spending the extra cash on the 3770K...
I probably would've still grabbed this 7820X... but then literally months later, in October, I think, I became one of the lucky 2000 US participants on the 8086K sweepstakes... :mad:

Reactions: Dcopymope

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Ok, I switched the CPU to a Ryzen 3700X. Anything else you would recommend for achieving a comfortable 2k 144hz?

The motherboard and ram were recommended to me, because i'm interested in creating a colorful build.

But w/ the CPU change, how does my build look now?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, I switched the CPU to a Ryzen 3700X. Anything else you would recommend for achieving a comfortable 2k 144hz?

The motherboard and ram were recommended to me, because i'm interested in creating a colorful build.

But w/ the CPU change, how does my build look now?
A 2080 Super instead of a 2080Ti. The flagship doesn't offer that much more for what it costs...
Ryzen 3700X: 2080 Super VS 2080Ti - almost 50 game samples
2080 Super is 11% slower - on average, at ultra settings
2080 Super is 6% slower on low settings
2080 Super also doesn't cost like 500USD more - an almost 50% markup...

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
A 2080 Super instead of a 2080Ti. The flagship doesn't offer that much more for what it costs...
Ryzen 3700X: 2080 Super VS 2080Ti - almost 50 game samples
2080 Super is 11% slower - on average, at ultra settings
2080 Super is 6% slower on low settings
2080 Super also doesn't cost like 500USD more - an almost 50% markup...
Thanks, I appreciate the help. Only a few more questions:

(1) There are a lot of 2080 super cards, which would you recommend?

(2) Does it matter what monitor I get for this build? I was recommended one of these 3:

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXZ3QBD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017EVR2VM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017EVR2VM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&psc=1

(3) The RAM and Motherboard were recommended to me, but would YOU recommend them? I like colorful PC builds, but it isnt that important to me. I value efficiency over looks.
(4) I dont really play fps games or anything fast-paced like that. The most demanding game I expect to play is Sekiro. Is this build good enough for it at the settings I want?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)That's going to have some bias based on personal experience. Me, I've only used Gigabyte and EVGA gpus so far.
The rest is word of mouth, or reviews(if I can find any). No single company is completely terrible - just flat out avoid, but they all have their share of pros and cons.
-EVGA appears to be #1 as far as graphics cards go.
-Asus has crap customer service, and they skimp too much on their non-premium gpu coolers... but they recently screwed up on the gpu coolers for their Strix and TUF Gaming RX 5700/XT models. I haven't heard the same issues with their Team Green cards though.
-XFX: I may have to take back what I said about avoiding... This company makes some 'trendy' designs that tend to perform terribly(thermals). At the same time, they're usually cheaper than the other brands too. Very hit and miss, IMO.
Those are just a few examples.

2)It shouldn't matter too much... Your 2nd and 3rd links are the same monitor, by the way.
Are you already familiar with the pros and cons of TN/IPS/VA panels? This video may help with your buying decision:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVd3LX2DCCQ

3)The motherboard is a solid pick. I used a Z390 Aorus Master in an 8086K build.
The memory... I don't care too much for how that looks(I'm not a fan of the RGB trend). I'd be fine with some solid black/white/red sticks, or whatever.
If you want a different 2x 8GB 3000mhz kit, I don't see a problem with doing so. Perhaps a G. Skill, Corsair, or Kingston kit?

4)You could play whatever the heck you want with that kind of hardware.
The only things that would hurt it are:
-Broken, or un-optimized games: Some examples are PUBG, Arma 3, and Rust
-Games that launch in a broken state: I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption 2... they have patched it since then, but wow, did that game get some flak when it launched...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Save yourself like 30USD and get the 240mm version.

Doesn't come with any preinstalled fans, in case you weren't already aware...

Whoa, that model is old. I wonder if Seasonic even makes them anymore. Get a 650w instead: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Whoa, that model is old. I wonder if Seasonic even makes them anymore. Get a 650w instead: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

So companies are allowed to sell cases with no fans? WOW, what these companies are allowed to get away with just astounds me. There are no official reviews for G.Skill power supplies, but hell, I might as well recommend one, since I have one myself. Its served me well so far.

Link: G.Skill Ripjaws 750W 80+

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019

Totally forgot to include the 4 Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB 59 CFM 120 mm Fan fans.

I see what you mean about the Cooler, switched that.

The battery is an extra new one I have that i've never used. The one you recommended returns an incompatibility issue.

Other than that, you think this build will reach my goal?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So companies are allowed to sell cases with no fans? WOW, what these companies are allowed to get away with just astounds me. There are no official reviews for G.Skill power supplies, but hell, I might as well recommend one, since I have one myself. Its served me well so far.
Some people are going to replace the case fans anyway, because of either aesthetic or performance reasons.
Adding fans also adds to the case's cost.

With all three cases I own, I replaced the stock fans because I had better ones on hand.
I see where you're coming from though - it's not for everyone.

The battery is an extra new one I have that i've never used. The one you recommended returns an incompatibility issue.
What battery? Did you mean the psu?
What is this incompatibility issue?

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
when I added the:

Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

It reports back:

• Warning!Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard and Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply are not compatible.
  • Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
WTH... that's freaking weird.
I just tried it with partpicker myself: If I pick the Aorus Master X570 and go to the Corsair psu list, the RM650X doesn't appear at all, and if I do the opposite, the Aorus Master disappears, yet Aorus Elite, Pro, Ultra, and Extreme still appear.

Whatever, I guess. There's still the RM650(non-X) model.

LAF_OUT_LOUD

Prominent
Mar 22, 2019
Ok, the other battery you recommended is compatible.
Thanks for the help with this new build, I really appreciate it.

I have a few extra questions. Just things i've been wondering:
  1. Is there any practical reason to buy a 2080 ti?
  2. or an i9 -or_ Ryzen 9?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Nope. Inflation is much too high on it - stupidly high... and I already showed you the performance difference between the 2 on the settings you want to play at.

2)I9-9900K, or 9900K(eep)S(pending): Not while the 3600X and 3700X exist for far cheaper.
A 9900K/KS is going to run you between 500-700USD for the cpu alone - still need to get a cooler for it, and that's going to run you for another 90-150USD...
3900X/3950X: They are more affordable solutions to professionals who can't afford Threadripper.

Reactions: LAF_OUT_LOUD

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
WTH... that's freaking weird.
I just tried it with partpicker myself: If I pick the Aorus Master X570 and go to the Corsair psu list, the RM650X doesn't appear at all, and if I do the opposite, the Aorus Master disappears, yet Aorus Elite, Pro, Ultra, and Extreme still appear.

Whatever, I guess. There's still the RM650(non-X) model.

I don't think that website is as reliable as people think it is. I've seen it claim components were compatible when they weren't.

Reactions: LAF_OUT_LOUD

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hey! I had a friend of mine look over the build you helped me figure out. He sent me an alternative, what do you think about this one? He thinks that it can do just as well as the one you helped me make: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Daily-Deal-VR-i7K-2080
Is that the actual list?
Err, I think the list you were trying to show me wasn't saved or something, because all I can see is some 9900K prebuilt... and a terrible one at that.
Cyberpower should know better than to pair a 9900K with a 120mm AIO.