[SOLVED] Updated Realtek Audio, now there's NO AUDIO

tebobao

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
Hello.

I updated to my Realtek High Definition Audio to the most recent one, R2.82, now there's no audio at all.

I've reinstalled the driver a bunch of times, tried to install previous versions and nothing worked out.

The current one I've installed is the R2.81, which still has access to Realtek HD Audio Manager (SupremeFX for my Motherboard).

What do I do?

There's volume going up when I see my volume mixer, but nothing really comes out of my headphones/speakers even when I set my Speaker as my Default Playback Device.

Solution
Yes, I've tried plugging the headphone jack to the rear speaker, the front one too.
check Device Manager for disabled sound devices in Sound, Video and Game controllers...also Audio Inputs and Outputs.

Uninstall completely and reinstall sound drivers. I'd suggest getting the drivers from your motherboard manufacturer, the one specific for your board.

Just give up on it and get an external USB DAC. Better sound anyway.

tebobao

Prominent
Dec 22, 2018
I've set my Sound Output as Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) yet no sound. I can see the mixer detecting sound and all, but nothing comes out of my headphones.

Yes, I've tried plugging the headphone jack to the rear speaker, the front one too.
check Device Manager for disabled sound devices in Sound, Video and Game controllers...also Audio Inputs and Outputs.

Uninstall completely and reinstall sound drivers. I'd suggest getting the drivers from your motherboard manufacturer, the one specific for your board.

Just give up on it and get an external USB DAC. Better sound anyway.

Solution
May 21, 2020
I recently bought an Aorus Ultra motherboard. Loaded it up with the latest RealTek Driver from Gigabyte and plugged my speakers into the rear jack - SILENCE. After calls and emails and nothing from Gigabyte except a run around I opened the RealTek Audio Console app and started playing around.

Setting the speakers to stereo did nothing. But, when I set the speaker configuration to 5.1 I started to get sound out of the rear jack! I was shocked. Long story - sorry. Kinda shocked. When I run the test I only get the test tone from the rear set not the front. So, when I play some music and still nothing.

I scrolled down to "Environment" and went from 'None' to 'Generic' and music started pouring out. The rear jack really does work.

However, my stereo speakers play both the Rear and the Front pair of the 5.1 speaker set. The front actually sounds a lot cleaner - for lack of a better word.

Hope this helps. But now a question...

How do I tell the system to only play from the front speakers? When I turn off the rear pair check box... silence.

UPDATE: Ok, now armed with the RealTek Audio Console I re-read the manual and it showed me that for two speakers I need to use the line out jack. Plugged in the speakers and now I'm getting audio out from the rear panel jacks. The jack labels are not intuitively obvious - well, to me anyway.

So, I will still complain about Gigabyte customer service and now tech support. No one could tell me that I was hooking up the hardware incorrectly. I did figure it out and I think that those of us with rear panel audio output problems might now be able to correct the problem.

Na Zdrowie and happy listening.

Last edited: