Upgrade advice needed

vortex19609

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014
I'd like some advice... it's time to upgrade and I can only afford either a cpu/motherboard combo or a graphics card. I have a core 2 duo 6600 based system now, and a GTX 295 video card. I've actually been pretty impressed that the GTX 295 has handled most of what I've thrown at it until recently, but I'd like to play DX11 titles in all their glory. That's not the most important thing to me though, I'm just wondering which would give me more of a performance boost. Better CPU, or better GPU.

Either way, I'll be getting both this year, just wondering which I should start with.

Trave

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Well if your saying the GTX 295 is still fine with todays games and such,you should probably go with the MoBo & CPU,well if you going for the GPU upgrade you will likely get a bottleneck from the C2D 6600 which will not use the GPU's full potential, So go for cpu/motherboard combo!!

Like everybody says "gameplay before graphics" right?

vortex19609

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014
Since I've already picked out what I plan to buy, I might as well post it for review :) Any advice is much appreciated.

GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z5S LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Plus an aftermarket CPU cooler. My price point is ~$600. I plan on budgeting as much for a decent video card in the near future.

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
what? i know a guy running a pentium d with a good graphics card and he can play all the games on highest settings. it's your gpu probably. i would start with that. i don't think you need to upgrade your cpu. waste of money, better off spending it fully on a nice graphics card. and then later down the line if you REALLY need it, which you probably won't, you have the option to upgrade the cpu.

also, that 295 isn't that strong of a card, i'm surprised nobody said that yet.

at theunknownpc, no it won't bottleneck his system.

to the other posters, no it won't "bottleneck" his system, it's the graphics card. it's not a good card.

the graphics card is bottlenecking your system. start with the gpu. you won't see THAT much of an improvement with a better cpu. it's going to be neglible and compared to the improvement you can get with upgrading your graphics card.

d1rtydeedz

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Looks good to me, you've picked a mobo which can handle both sli and crossfire. A smart choice for someone who hasn't decided on the graphics card yet. Get yourself a good cooler and overclock that puppy to 4.2 safely. A little messing around and you'll get higher.

TheUnknownPC

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($195.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.04 @ NCIX US)
Total: $549.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-08 19:05 EST-0500)

8GB is more than enough for gaming :)

vortex19609

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014

Yeah, I was wondering about the amount of memory actually... 8gb is fine on my current rig. And also is something I can add in the future if I need it. Great point, and saves me a few bucks. You also picked the CPU cooler I was considering as well.

Trave

Honorable
May 22, 2013
To the guy saying to get the GPU first(forget to quote)

He has a e6600 core 2 duo which is worser than mine and of course there will be bottleneck,of course getting a new gpu will have an improvement but that improvement isn't the full potential of the gpu because the cpu is holding it back. and if you benchmark a game you will see that the max and minimum fps is so different(minimum fps 20,maximum fps is 65)
This bottleneck problem will be a problem with CPU intensive games,I bet your friend is playing a GPU instensive one,

See the link below to get more idea about BOTTLENECK and some other things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwnekGgpdQ%20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0quvkEOMIXM

vortex19609

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014

I have been quite surprised at how well it's held up over the years. It was the top of the line card when I bought it, and hasn't had too many problems running just about everything well until recently when I bought Assassins' Creed Black Flag. That game has me stuttering all over the place. Played Witcher 2 extremely well, and that was a pretty demanding game. In comparison specs it's not too bad actually, other than not being able to run DX11. maybe you'll be as surprised as me if you check it out. :) I really appreciate your advice though.

vortex19609

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014

Wow, those are some fantastic videos, thanks so much for posting them. Really explains a lot.

Trave

Honorable
May 22, 2013

For the AC4 problem check this out http://hothardware.com/News/Assassins-Creed-4-Bogs-Down-On-The-PC-Heres-How-To-Fix-It/ :bounce:

Trave

Honorable
May 22, 2013

No problem!

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
it's really not, that's a myth. and that graphics card isn't even good, it's shitty. and your making me laugh, he's talking about upgrading GRAPHICS cards, your making my statement more true then it already is. and a 30 percent increase is worth it. you got to look though, he's using a crappy graphics card. you still will see a GOOD increase in performance with a better graphics card and it doesn't matter if it's cpu bound, graphics matter more.

vortex19609

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014

Actually, the videos posted above are supporting your argument... they suggest graphics card first, because there is a notable performance improvement, even on a system as old and decrepit as mine :D

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
to the original poster, np. well, i just checked out the benchmarks for your card and it appears it's WAY behind graphics cards that are good. i would suggest a graphics card upgrade first. if anything, you can overclock your e6600 if you feel the need to. again, i know a guy running a pentium d with a really good graphics card and he can play all the games on high settings. we both agreed maybe people like to keep things updated with their cpu and mobo.

also, something interesting that i found. why are graphics cards backwards compatible? makes more sales that way in older systems that need an upgrade for graphics without having to buy a new platform. i personally will be taking advantage of an example like this. i'm sure they did this for a good reason.

vortex19609

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014

I have actually tried just about every "fix" out there for this game, and none of them are working. I get incredibly choppy performance in just about every "cutscene" (I know most if not all are rendered in-game), and out on the water I occasionally run into something that makes my game slow to a crawl. And it seems to have nothing to do with the graphics quality settings. I've turned everything to high, and it happens (granted the game does run a bit slower). Everything turned off, same thing. I think I've tried every tweak in the book, and I've used every possible v-sync setting. Frankly, most of the game runs just fine, but those moments make me want to rip out clumps of my hair in frustration. I've vowed to not play it again until I've upgraded. Sad thing is it's a great game.

vortex19609

Honorable
Mar 8, 2014
Well, from first hand experience, I can say it works... I upgraded my video card to a gtx 780 and I can play AC4 just fine now. So a new card does work in an old pc. Good to know. :)