[SOLVED] Upgrade CPU in Gene II Extreme no beep no post.

Jun 10, 2020
I had i7 950 in my mobo and I purchased Xeon x5687 to swap it. I have done so, but now no beep no post. I have new bios chip in place. I have checked with everything out. No beep. I have replaced i7 950, still no beeps. Any ideas? Could it be damaged?

Solution
You need a working pc to flash a bios.
That means a working processor and a working bios.
Sort of a catch 22.
That is why flashing a bios can be so dangerous.

You need to get back to a setup where you can enter the bios.
That means using the original working processor, and the original working bios.
If that original bios has been damaged with all of the failed attempts, you need to buy a sound replacement.

Lutfij

Titan
What are the rest of the specs to your build? Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Moterboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Also, why did you need to replace the BIOS chip? That's what I'm understanding when you stated that you have a new BIOS chip in place. The Rampage II Gene needs to have BIOS version 0705 in order to work. Which BIOS version are you on or know to have on the BIOS chip?

Jun 10, 2020
What are the rest of the specs to your build? Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Moterboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Also, why did you need to replace the BIOS chip? That's what I'm understanding when you stated that you have a new BIOS chip in place. The Rampage II Gene needs to have BIOS version 0705 in order to work. Which BIOS version are you on or know to have on the BIOS chip?

Jun 10, 2020
I replaced bios chip when it wouldn't post or beep. I couldn't work out how to flash the bios, it didn't see my flash drive. All was working fine until I changed CPU. It needed a little more speed. Mobo is ASUS gene ii extreme. Gtx 285 X 2 in place.

Jun 10, 2020
CPU:
Moterboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Has latest bios vs

Here is the cpu support list for your motherboard:

Xeon is not on the list.
If you bought a bios chip that purportedly supports Xeon, you are on your own,

If you replaced the original bios chip as well as the original processor then you should be able to post.
Check again for a bent socket pin. Such damage is easy to do if you do not drop the processor into the socket cleanly.
You might have caused the damage on the second replacement.
You need to look closely to see a problem.
These cpu sockets are fragile, and certified for only 15 insertions.

If all fails, perhaps it is time to change to a current gen system.

Jun 10, 2020

Xeon is not on the list.

If you replaced the original bios chip as well as the original processor then you should be able to post.
Check again for a bent socket pin. Such damage is easy to do if you do not drop the processor into the socket cleanly.

Why do you need to flash the bios?
You will need a working processor to do the job.
Your motherboard manual will have the procedure to flash the bios.
Hopefully, it will advise you on how to recover from a failed flash.
Sometimes a bios chip replacement is the only option.
That is why you should not flash a bios unless the change fixes a problem that is impacting you.

Jun 10, 2020
View: https://amp.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/4oshyl/rampage_ii_gene_xeon_upgrade/

I saw this on Reddit and decided to try it out.

Xeon is not on the list.

The normal flash process is to boot into the bios and access the flash update option.
Put the fat32 drive in a usb slot(Perhaps there is a preferred slot which the manual will tell you about)
The flash app will check for compatibility and do the flash.
The process takes perhaps 10 minutes and looks like nothing is going on.
DO NOT interrupt the process.

Jun 10, 2020
Why do you need to flash the bios?
You will need a working processor to do the job.
Your motherboard manual will have the procedure to flash the bios.
Hopefully, it will advise you on how to recover from a failed flash.
Sometimes a bios chip replacement is the only option.
That is why you should not flash a bios unless the change fixes a problem that is impacting you.
Ok so I looked on this forum and there's info on flashing bios, but my pc doesn't get that far. No screen engagement at all.

You need a working pc to flash a bios.
That means a working processor and a working bios.
Sort of a catch 22.
That is why flashing a bios can be so dangerous.

You need to get back to a setup where you can enter the bios.
That means using the original working processor, and the original working bios.
If that original bios has been damaged with all of the failed attempts, you need to buy a sound replacement.

Solution