Upgrade from 1100t processor

Consciencekills

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
At the moment i have a 1100t processore oc'ed to 4ghz and was thinking about getting a new FX chip.
The FX-4170 seemed to make the most since because i really only play games and would not need more than 4 cores however the other option i would get is the FX-6200 which is 6 cores but at a lower speed. the 6 cores would help with my other programs in the background like antivirus skype and itunes which i uasually always have up howwever idk if this would be a fast enough processor.
i would be hoping to overclock it to atleast 4.6ghz
I have been told that my 1100t really bottlenecks my crossfired 2 6950's and was wondering if this would aleviate that bottleneck?

Any opinions, expierences, and comparisons with these chips would be greatly appreciated :)

Solution
Any FX CPU would be a downgrade not an upgrade from an 1100T for anything. Anyone who told you that about bottlenecking would make me stick my head out the door if they told me its raining outside.

Uther39

Distinguished
Not only is the 1100t OCd to 4.0 ghz a mighty fine CPU, but it will also leave all the FX chips trailing in its wake and even show a clean pair of heals to some of the stock clocked intel offerings, as for bottle knecking 2 6950s, not a chance buddy, and even if it was slightly, then the FX will just make matters worse.

Its more likely that your just suffering from typical Xfire incompatibility woes and micro stutter, you would be much better off keeping the 1100t, selling the 2 6950s and buying a single HD 7970, or even a GTX 670.

Consciencekills

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2011
Alright thank you very much for your answers.
in a thread i made a while back most people where telling me i would have to switch to intel to get the full performance out of my 2x 6950's which i thought was ridiculous. My frames in crysis 2 and bf3 have been stellar despite the fact, but i was being told i would see a 15% performance increase if i switched to a faster intel chip oce'd to like 4.6ghz -_-
Mostly i was looking for a performance boost in sc2 the most cpu demanding game i own but of course it only uses 2 cores... so the best i could do is try oc to where i can keep turbo on or disable a couple cores possibly.
thanks again for your quick and knowledgable input!

If you upgraded to an Intel Chip you might still run into problems like shuddering or what not. The i7 over the 1100T wouldn't be much of an upgrade, and I wouldn't wast the money for it. Wait till later on like end of this year or 2013 to upgrade if there is anything worth it. Don't let anyone say that the 1100T is weak or a bottleneck.

Mess with the drivers to fix micro shuddering.

Uther will know too the only thing the X6 is slower on is memory bandwidth but there is absolutely nothing this chip cannot do that a new chip Intel or AMD does. It was critisized on its release for flogging a dead horse architecture, only for a year later to find just how good it actually was. Honestly you can't do much better than the ol hammer.

To be honest, if he thinks that the memory bandwidth is a problem, Just OC the CPU-NB clock, might help with his stuttering (damn auto correct). He would see a decent inprovment if he clocked it to 2600 - 2800mhz without much of a voltage bumb. I upped my 1100T 4.ghz cpu-nb to 2925mhz 1.3v and I gained an extra 10fps in ArmA II Benchmark 1 test.

If someone gives me one I'd join. I still kick myself every now and then. At the time 1100Ts were still available on newegg when I bought my 975 Deneb. I guess it really doesn't matter with what my computer usage habits are. Just a coulda/shoulda/woulda thing.

Lol, wasn't there already 1 on Tom's?

The 975 is still great CPU, Clocks great from what I'v read. Not to much uses six cores yet, I bought my 1100T to run a home server type deal I got going and to do all my gaming needs. If I didn't do much of home server I would of been on my old Phenom II x4 940.

Uther39

Distinguished

I have 3 still on my shelves, if you were UK id sell you one for cost price.

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Love my 1100t but keep seeing stuff about 1600t? how do we get a 1600t? Is it an overclocked 1100t please explain if anyone knows
update
no problem mate wr6133 told me all about 1600t's but thanks anyway

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

what is a 1600t? I have an 1100t can i make it into a 1600t? or is 1100t better. Never heard of a 1600t now seeing them in peoples specs write ups all over the place :(