Upgrade laptop w/faster processor

rknightpd

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hello,
My laptop has intel core 2 duo processor T5200 1.60ghz wanting to install draftsight cad prgm requires pentium 4 or duo core processor 3.0 ghz is that possible mobile intel 945GM express chipset

rknightpd

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thanks rolli59, I found out I have worse problem one of my memory slots is not working. I was trying to upgrade to 4gigs and if I stick card in both slots my computer won't start. When I take the new card back out it runs fine and either card will run fine in that 1 slot. Oh well, but I'm gonna load the program and run it anyway just trying to learn something new anyhow.

Generally laptops are not very flexible in the number of CPUs supported by the BIOS,sometimes as little as two. You would need to find and download the Service Manual for your model and hope that there is a list of supported CPUs, and that you don't already have the fastest one installed. Meanwhile make sure your sticks of RAM are identical,
mismatches can cause problems...

rknightpd

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hey dodger46,
Thanks for the feedback, and cool avatar pic where is that?
Yea, if put a memory card in that slot alone, it still doesn't work, But it seems to be running the program ok for now.
My daughter gave me a Gateway Laptop that she broke the dc jack out. I saw a guy on you tube replace it, I figured hey for $15 I can get the soldering iron, solder, braided wire and the jack, whats the worst that can happen I'd probably replace the MB anyway. I kinda like trying to fix stuff anyway.
Thanks Again,
rknightpd

DC jack probably one of the few repairs you can do to a mobo with a soldering iron. Ebay a great source for used mbos too, but never had to replace a Gateway, unsure if they provide a Service Manual. I use ManualOwl to find the more obscure ones http://www.manualowl.com/
You just sign up and search, makes thejob a lot easier knowing which screws to remove 1st! Keep the screws in small glasses to separate each stage in case different lengths etc.
The view is from W. Mainland Scotland looking over the Isle of Sky...

TRENDING THREADS