Xavierol1

Reputable
May 1, 2020
I previously built my current PC as my other one died and I had to budget pretty hard on so it's not really what I want, I'm unsure whether I will sell it and build a brand new one or try to upgrade but I think I'm slightly limited on how much I can actually upgrade. I haven't looked too much into a new build because I'm still unsure. Also as GPU's are currently more expensive so I'm unsure if I should wait but some help would be great.

Current build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX 580 8GB
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB(2x8) 3200MHz
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro M2 Max
PSU: Seasonic Gold 550W

Thanks!

Solution
If you are after a current gen Ryzen 5 or 7, the prices are at or below MSRP, right now. You can get the 5900x, for MSRP, from AMD direct, right now, also. Same for the 5950x. All a CPU upgrade would accomplish is possibly improve min FPS in very select CPU heavy titles, and give them some breathing room, for that future GPU upgrade. Save the cash, and wait it out.

Xavierol1

Reputable
May 1, 2020
It depends on your budget. GPU's are still insanely expensive atm and cpu's aren't getting any cheaper. No clue as to when this chip shortage will end.
I'd like to keep it under $1000AUD but if it'd be worth just waiting out the whole thing I'd be fine with that. Been looking at like 1660 Super or even a 20 series

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

logainofhades

Titan
I previously built my current PC as my other one died and I had to budget pretty hard on so it's not really what I want, I'm unsure whether I will sell it and build a brand new one or try to upgrade but I think I'm slightly limited on how much I can actually upgrade. I haven't looked too much into a new build because I'm still unsure. Also as GPU's are currently more expensive so I'm unsure if I should wait but some help would be great.

Current build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX 580 8GB
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB(2x8) 3200MHz
Motherboard: MSI B450M Pro M2 Max
PSU: Seasonic Gold 550W

Thanks!

Frankly, I would wait till GPU prices are back to normal. A new CPU won't do a whole lot for you, with that GPU.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
For $1000 AUD budget, an upgrade is pretty much out of the options. You can blame GPU prices to that. CPUs aren't cheap either but not as much over priced as GPUs and changing just one of those won't be much of an upgrade. GPU alone will most likely cost 1k (if not more) unless you want to try your luck with used 20XX series and get extremely lucky with a card that is in good condition and works for few more years without issues.

logainofhades

Titan
If you are after a current gen Ryzen 5 or 7, the prices are at or below MSRP, right now. You can get the 5900x, for MSRP, from AMD direct, right now, also. Same for the 5950x. All a CPU upgrade would accomplish is possibly improve min FPS in very select CPU heavy titles, and give them some breathing room, for that future GPU upgrade. Save the cash, and wait it out.

Solution

Xavierol1

Reputable
May 1, 2020
Yeah I was thinking just to wait it out but in the meantime buy a new CPU cooler because I've only got the stock one and buy a new HDD and maybe SSD because low on storage at the moment

Reactions: Why_Me

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I would maybe look at replacing the PSU in anticipation for a new GPU. I would expect a 250-300 watt GPU.

CPU-wise, no point in upgrading unless you go for top of the line GPU and CPU pretty much.