[SOLVED] Upgrade Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 7

Oct 3, 2019
Really considering buying this X1 Carbon to dual boot linux/windows for a web development machine. The base price is good, but $800 CAD to upgrade to a "1TB Solid State Drive, M.2 PCIe-NVMe, Opal" is crazy. I can get this 1TB drive for $132 CAD or a 2TB for $400 CAD on Amazon.

Question is, can I upgrade the RAM and SSD on this X1 Carbon with parts from Amazon/Newegg/etc?

I can't see why I couldn't, but it's been 15 years since I've done any hardware upgrades.

Solution
My reading says that the ram on the x1 carbon is soldered and not upgradeable.
Likely for weight savings.
The single m.2 80 ssd is replaceable.
There is a second m.2 40 slot but there are few ssd devices of that size.

For a dual boot system, I suggest instead the thinkpad extreme gen2.
I bought one and it really is expandable.
Buy the 8gb ram version. You can add a second 8gb from crucial for much less than buying it already installed. I did that with no issue.
That also gets you dual channel operation.

It has two m.2 pcie nvme slots, the first will be populated with the default os and minimal software on a 240gb drive.
There is no reason why you can't install a second drive for dual boot operation.
Or, for that matter, you can...
My reading says that the ram on the x1 carbon is soldered and not upgradeable.
Likely for weight savings.
The single m.2 80 ssd is replaceable.
There is a second m.2 40 slot but there are few ssd devices of that size.

For a dual boot system, I suggest instead the thinkpad extreme gen2.
I bought one and it really is expandable.
Buy the 8gb ram version. You can add a second 8gb from crucial for much less than buying it already installed. I did that with no issue.
That also gets you dual channel operation.

It has two m.2 pcie nvme slots, the first will be populated with the default os and minimal software on a 240gb drive.
There is no reason why you can't install a second drive for dual boot operation.
Or, for that matter, you can upgrade the original ssd to a larger drive.
I use samsung ssd devices because their ssd migration app does an easy job of moving a Windows C drive.

One unique task is to disable the non removeable battery before doing any maintenance.
This video shows how.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vvLexQZUos

Solution