upgrade v3 2000 to Geforce MX?

G

I have a Duron 700 oc'd to 900 on an Asus A7, 128mb ram and a voodoo3 2000. I have a few questions. I have been thinking about upgrading my video card, but at this point in time can only afford to spend around $150. Should I get a Geforce MX card or one of the regular Geforce cards(not GTS or ultra)? Also, if I were to get one of these cards, would I get a significant performance increase?

G

Well, I think you can buy a GF2 32meg DDR for around $150... just check <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">pricewatch</A>

(Note: I found one for $152)

G

It is not always worth to buy a brandless gf2, cos a few of them has made with low quality components, so not only the stability, but the picture quality won't be as good as with a brand one. So if you have the opportunity, try out before buy it.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For the speed difference from a GeForce 2 MX and a GeForce 2 GTS DDR....i'd save your money a little longer and get a real video card, the GeForce 2 GTS. The MX is a watered down version of the GTS

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

*sigh*

It's not brandless. It's VisionTek. And like I have said several times before, I've heard nothing but good stuff about them in card reviews, and their website at least appears to be well kept and up to date.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know about more speed but you'll get 32-bit color. Worth the money right there.

As for MX vs GTS, I think it depends on what resolution you plan to use. Up to and including 1024X768 you might be able to measure the difference but you won't "see" the difference. Even at 1280X1024 you will probably still get adequate framerates with the MX. At higher resolutions than that you need every bit of speed you can get.

G

Do it!!

I replaced my old Voodoo3 2000 with a GeForce 256 and there was SO much difference. It's not just for the speed, the picture quality and shading will look so much better. I'll never buy a Voodoo card again, they literally can't compare to NVidia.

A GeForce2 Ultra MX with DDR for $150 would be outstanding. You won't regret it.

G

You should see an significant difference, but is the 2000 runing that poorly on the unit that you need to upgrade now.
Nvidia and others will be rooling out new cards in less then 6months. At the very least you will be able to get a top end geforce for 1/2 the price.

take care and best wishes what ever you go with.

G

I just upgraded from a V3-3000 to a Geforce2 MX and I have to agree that the 32bit color is definately better. I play Q3 most often and I get 70+fps in 800x600 32bit color(game tweaked). Thats more than 15+ fps than the voodoo could ever do in 16bit 800x600. 32bit colour was just a bonus, what I noticed most was the LOD and just overall game performance. My next adventure, DDR all around! OH YEAH!

G

Thank you to everyone who responded. I think on my way home from college today I will check and see if I can pick up a Geforce 256 or 2mx, which ever I can get a better deal on. I went to my friend's place last night to see how his Geforce 256 would do on 3dmark 2000 and it blew mine away easily. He got somewhere around 4000, while the best I can do is about 2600. And he even has a slower cpu than I, a Pentium III 600. Thanks again, and happy gaming everyone.