Question Upgraded 1060 to 1660 but Getting Lower FPS (please help)

Skankie

Reputable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi Guys,

I got hold of a used gtx 1660 6gb for a good deal, so I agreed to give it to my friend to upgrade his gtx 1060 3gb.

He is running:
i5 7500 3.4GHz
Asus H110M-R
8gb DDR4 2400MHz in single channel
Aerocool Integrator 500w psu

On paper it should have been a nice upgrade, I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't give at least a 10-20% fps boost. But after running before and after benchmarks such as Heaven Unigene and R6 Siege in game benchmark the 1660 was performing WORSE, with between 5-10fps less than the 3gb 1060.

I knew that there could potentially be some bottlenecking from the cpu, but thought it would still be scoring more overall. There was no freezes or lag spikes, just consistent lower fps.

I also know his ram situation is not ideal and I am looking to find him another 8gb to run dual channel as we speak, but as this variable was not changed before and after I don't think it comes into the equation.

I used DDU to remove all old drivers and ensured the latest were installed for the 1660. Temperatures were fine, in fact a lot lower for the 1660 which is expected being a newer card. Even checked every source possible (apart from taking the card apart) such as CPU-Z to make sure I wasn't scammed and the card is what it says it is!

There's only one thing that I didn't do because I didn't think of it at the time, and that was a bios update. But would that really make the card jump from an average of 50fps in Heaven benchmark on extreme to 80fps? Doubtful.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!