Upgraded from i5 to i7 4790k on an ASUS Z87-A Motherboard - Red CPU Light, No Boot, NO Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambroom

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Hello,

Please note I am note very computer savvy.

I recently upgraded the processor on my computer from a 4th gen i5 (I don't know the exact model) to an i7 4790k. I am having a problem where the power turns on however there is no beep, the screen does not turn on, and the computer overall does not boot up. The CPU LED light is also on steady red.

I updated the BIOS, I cleared the CMOS. I tried taking the CPU out and putting it back in and it won't boot up.

I did put the i5 back in and the computer ran fine so I know that it is not the motherboard.

I also made sure that the Z87-A Motherboard is compatible with this processor.

I checked the chip and there was no noticeable damage, I even looked with a magnifying glass.

I am not sure what else could be wrong. Here are the specs of my computer that I am aware of as I built this with a friend 2 years ago:

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
Current (Non functioning CPU): Intel i7 4790k
NIVIDEA 660Ti Graphics Card
WD 1Tb Hard Drive
RAM: 8GB (2x 4GB 1600Mhz)
650w Power Supply

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

ambroom

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

Thank you for your quick reply!

I am pretty sure. I did do the update with the i5 installed and in the BIOS the version number did change to the latest one which is 2103.

I did the download following several tutorials that guidied me through the process. And it did say the update was successful.

However it does not operate with the new chip in.

ambroom

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

I bought the i7 New. Unfortunately I only have this PC to test it on. I do have that same friend who helped me build it coming tomorrow to try and figure it out if tye answer isn't found.

after my ''last'' 3 asus [were a joke] i'll assume its asus . rma the cpu or try it in another compatible motherboard to insure its just not bad ??

also read all the footnotes from the bios's list to see if you did not need to follow a hoop jump ? seems like you cant just ''jump up'' bios updates

like this tool thing ?

''3. Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool.

or ?

''Note: Must apply the attached BIOS updater tool first before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors.

plenty come here with this issue your not the first when going to a refresh chip

good luck

ambroom

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

That's my fear. I'm hoping that's not the case since I got it, pick up only from a store that was and hour away. If I have to return it I may bring in my pc and have them install it...

ambroom

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

However the PC still works when I put the old CPU back in. It makes me think it's a problem with the CPU, even though it's brand new. I'll be calling the store as soon as they open today.

ya, ok your not getting what I'm pointing out on this

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/304073-cpu-error-on-asus-z87-a-with-i3-4160/

CONS..
'' The BIOS needed an update before my i7-4790k would post, and out of three ways to update the bios, the CPU only worked after using the Windows utility method. The built-in & DOS utilities appeared to work... BIOS would flash and machine would post with an i3 CPU, but the i7-4790k only worked after using the windows utility (available for download from ASUS).
I found this to be bizarre and annoying but not difficult if you are aware of the issue. Thanks Google.''

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131981

ambroom

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

Hello,

Thanks for your answer! I did not understand what you were saying but now I do understand. I did do the flash through the BIOS and currently have the 2103 version. However I could not figure out how to use the updater tool as you pointed out.

Every time I unzip the file it says I need another download on my computer to run the updater an "Intel Management Engine Interface" Driver. So I searched ASUS' website for the latest version of that, installed it and then attempted to run the updater again and it would not let me. Therefore I can not update the BIOS through windows.

As a precaution I did exchange the i7 4790k for a new one and am having the exact same issue.

ya, I don't know things as this is why I ditched asus seems there more on hype the quality and good support whay I said my ''LAST'' 3 asus were my last

I prefer to use my computer then tinker with it or do hoop jumping and that's about all I got from my last asus . there nothing near the asus I grew up with any more - high on hype low on quality

I guess go to like asus forums and see if some one got a step by step on how to ? if not trade the refresh chip in for a 4770k that should work out of the box ??

ambroom

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

Well, I got the update to work through windows however my computer restarted halfway through and destroyed the motherboard... so now I am screwed and need a new motherboard and I might as well go for a new generation since I have to sink more money into my build.

It never ends.

tough call if nothing but the mother board got bit may try a z97 that the refresh chips should work right out of the box ?

I replaced my asus's with 2 asrocks and a gigabyte with the asrock z87 you just flash as normal none of that hoop jumping and if it goes bad it got a socketed bios chip for easy replacement

sorry for your loss but being a ex-asus owner I do know the score and felt the pain $$

Status
Not open for further replies.