Question Upgraded hardware constantly getting black screen on Windows install

dedsall78

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I recently upgraded my hardware as my motherboard and CPU were getting a bit old and my casing had been pretty worn out as well. So, I bought a ROG Strix B55-F Gaming Wifi II motherboard and a AMD Ryzen 5600X, as well as a new casing. Put everything together and transferred my old pieces of hardware (GPU, RAM, etc) over to my new system. I deleted all my previous partitions and then set on installing Windows 11, which I just bought for this new system.

Install goes fine. I start my system up and start upgrading some of the components. During the installation... black screen, screen comes back up, and black screen again. Screen stays black and never recovers again. During this time, the HD light is constantly going off and on with activity. Try restarting my system and it won't boot up.

So, I try a reinstall. I figure it might be my GPU drivers that need upgrading immediately. Reinstall and go install the GPU drivers. Same thing. Starts flickering a black screen (which you'd expect with a GPU driver update) but then it, again, goes to a black screen and then just never recovers... again, the HD drive is constantly flickering activity.

I reinstalled Windows 11 again, I thought, maybe it's a BIOS issue. However, the website lists only a beta BIOS update and I'm not sure if I should downloading that. I saw the chipset update and thought, hey, maybe that will work. Go to download it. Once I even open up the zipped download, black screen, flicks back on... try to run the setup... black screen and it never comes back again.

I've tried reinstalling Windows about 5 or 6 times now and it's always the same black screen that pops up at some point. The furthest I've gotten is, at one point, I was able to install my GPU drivers and a couple other small programs. I thought it was actually working. Then some Windows updates started installing... upon reset of the computer, it went to a black screen again and wouldn't recover.

I'm at a loss as to what's going on here. It sounds like a hardware issue (so I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for it) but I don't really know what to check or how to go about this.

I should also point out that I tried reinstalling Windows 10, thinking it was a Windows 11 issue, but I encountered the same problem.

Any help or direction as to what I should check would be appreciated.

dedsall78

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thank you all for the replies. Here are more specific details:

Motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi II
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
GPU: ASUS Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti (Unfortunately, I have no other computer here to test it on; it is only 1 year old though)
RAM: Kingston 32 GB DDR3
SSD: 1 ~800 GB, 1 ~300 GB (Don't have the exact numbers on me right now)
Power supply: Thermaltake 550 W (around 4 years old)

Actually, as I answer these questions, I'm beginning to think it's a power supply issue. I did a quick scan on the net and the newegg site stated that I would need between 500-599W of power for this rig. My last setup worked fine although it may have been right at the max requirements for power. It's a possibility that the upgraded motherboard and CPU pushed the power supply just over the limit. That would explain why it would work initially but then just go black screen at random intervals during driver / windows updates. That's my thoughts at this point. Does that make sense to others here?

If someone has other ideas, let me know. Otherwise, I'm likely to go pick up another power supply at the store.

dedsall78

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Unfortunately, it's not the Power Supply. I upgraded to a Gigabyte 650W and still got the black screen upon installing the ASUS Armory Crate software bundle.

Any other ideas of what I should be checking?

TRENDING THREADS