[SOLVED] Upgraded my computer and now my old HDD/SSD does not show some applications

iTheSlyFly

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
I upgraded my PC today. I upgraded CPU, motherboard, ram, and added another SSD. My problem is that some applications on my old hard drives are not showing certain applications. For example, I had Geforce Experience installed but when I search for it nothing appears. I do see all devices listed in diskmgmt and can access certain applications but not all.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting or ideas of what could be going on?

New system: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS TUF X570, 16gb DDR4 3200 , EVGA 960 FTW, 500 GB WD SSD, 120GB kingston SSD, 1 TB WD HDD

Last edited:
Solution
Your newly installed Windows knows nothing about the apps that were installed on the old windows. Most apps write things to the Windows Registry and the users hidden appdata folder.

You need to reinstall those apps fresh.

For your games that use launchers, like steam, you wont have to reinstall the games, just the launchers. Then add the folder where the games exist to the Apps list of library locations. You probably will have to reverify several games to get them to work right and probably move the game saves from your old users folder & documents over to the new folders.

iTheSlyFly

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
The new SSD is now the boot drive. I have a total of 3 drives. 2 SSD and 1 HDD. In my old build I was using 1 SSD and 1 HDD, bought the new SSD and installed windows on my new SSD and now on my old drives I can't locate games, applications (discord, GeForce experience, Origin, steam, blizzard). I can find my old school files by manually opening file explorer and going to the correct folder path but I am unable to search for the file in the windows 10 start menu.

Ralston18

Titan
What drive letters are being used?

Boot drive(new SSD) = C:

What about the old SSD and HDD.

Not sure about your comment " but I am unable to search for the file in the windows 10 start menu."

What are you doing and where? More information needed.

You should be able to just use "WIN" + "E" and search as needed thereafter.

iTheSlyFly

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
The boot drive is C:
Old SSD is D:
Old HDD is E:

I am trying to access my old games and applications. I did "WIN" + "E" and it brought up file explorer, I then searched in the search bar in the top right corner for discord, steam, GeForce experience and league of legends I get the message "no items match your search". On my E: it shows 105GB free of 931GB but I can't find any of the games or applications installed to this drive. For example, I try and search my pc for league of legends, nothing shows, so I click on E: then proceed to click on the folder labeled Riot games>Riot client> then can run the client through there. (that is just one example)

When I go to control pannel> uninstall a program- it then only shows items installed on my new C:.

popatim

Titan
Your newly installed Windows knows nothing about the apps that were installed on the old windows. Most apps write things to the Windows Registry and the users hidden appdata folder.

You need to reinstall those apps fresh.

For your games that use launchers, like steam, you wont have to reinstall the games, just the launchers. Then add the folder where the games exist to the Apps list of library locations. You probably will have to reverify several games to get them to work right and probably move the game saves from your old users folder & documents over to the new folders.

Solution