Info Upgraded my RAM, now the system wont boot

Wonderclam

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I decided to upgrade my RAM from 16GB DDR4 to 32GB DDR4 3200

Then my motherboard will not boot. One of the debug led lights up, the bottom one. I can't seem to find it on the manual. The fans all spin, but nothing on the screen.

I decided to put the old RAM back and it worked.

So then I decided to give it another try and put the new RAM in, then it wouldn't boot again. The system will not POST for me to even get in the BIOS

So I put the old RAM back in and now, that doesn't work either.

I made sure to discharge any static on my hands before working on it.

I hope I didn't bork the motherboard.

I had to take out the CPU fan and power connector to the motherboard each time so I could access the RAM slots. I made sure the RAM was seated properly and pushed down on both ends of each of the RAM. I made sure that I was using the same slots as before.

I never moved the case the entire time. It was laying flat during the entire debacle.

Last edited:

Wonderclam

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Yeah, that's my motherboard. I still have the original BIOS when I bought the motherboard, I think. I don't remember ever updating it.

The debug LED is "BOOT"
"Indicates the booting device is not detected or fail"

Which I assume is the hard drive? I thought you could still POST even without a hard drive installed.

The new RAM I bought from Amazon:

Corsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL16 Intel XMP 2.0 Computer Memory - Black (CMK32GX4M2E3200C16)​

The old RAM is G. Skill ripjaws, 2 x 8GB. I don't know the exact model.

I'm at work right now, I'll try when I get home.

clearing cmos should reset the xmp etc. to avoid this again always reset bios to default to remove xmp. before upgrading any component.

also if your planning to upgrade to 9000 series down the line i would avoid msi as a whole as the company is riddled ram issues. more then half on this forum would have a msi motherboard involved in a issue.

Reactions: Wonderclam