upgraded my service by 45mbs and i see little improvement

thedarcboi

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
My ISP is cox communications and i upgraded my internet service from essential which is 5mbs to premier which is 50mbs in my area according to their website. Now the problem is before upgrading my speed tests would come up at about 1.5-1.8mbs down and a little less than 1mbs up. Now they come up at 6-7mbs down and 3-4mbs up. I was expecting to see a greater improvement given the fact that it was a pretty big jump of service. I suspect my hardware could be causing some slow speeds but that is a BIG deficiency in speed compared to what i should be getting. I am an IT guy, have been for a while but networking is not my strong point yet. I'm using an older cisco dpc2100r2 modem which is DOCSIS 2. and my router is a netgear wnr2000 v3.
Any input would be greatly appreciated

thedarcboi

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

Well the person who did the upgrade for me didn't really ask any questions. It was a fairly quick conversation. I'm amusing he jumped on the opportunity for an upgrade because its + points for them.

thedarcboi

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

Thank you for the info, I'm going to have to upgrade the modem first and then see how things go from there.