Upgraded PC is garbage.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tiress

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
Ever since I upgraded my PC I have been running into so many problems I didn't have before. For example: Screen tearing, micro stutter/stutter, choppy gameplay even above 60 fps, if fps drops to 59 it feels like 20, Overall FPS does NOT feel smooth, varying ranges of FPS on certain games, on low settings I get the same FPS as Ultra. Just a whole bunch of * after I decide to upgrade my GPU,CPU and RAM for $600. Basically my PC has turned into a piece of *. Thanks!

Tiress

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

if it's not my GPU then why wasnt this happening when I had my 750 Ti

adiec

Honorable

did you have the same display ?

Tiress

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

Yeah. i'll try and get you a video

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. So you have a good gpu, good cpu, decent monitor, fresh install of windows. What about motherboard drivers. Windows uses generic drivers for everything, it's a basic 'ok let's work' thing. Doesn't have to work well, just work. But, just as you need the nvidia drivers to get anything more than a basic screen, you'll also need motherboard drivers to use the full potential of the Sata controller, USB controller, pcie, Lan etc. Get those installed, see what happens. Is windows fully updated to the last revision? Or was it an older revision, maybe the original on disc/USB?

Tiress

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

I haven't really upgraded my MOBO since I got it. Are you suggesting that I should upgrade my mobo or flash it or whatever? And yes, it is the latest version of windows.

adiec

Honorable

they are suggesting that you make sure you have installed all the correct drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturers website and not just using the ones windows has installed . windows likes to install generic drivers for a few things.

Tiress

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

yeah im not sure how to install the new drivers, it gives me a bunch of .sys .inf and .cat files I think or something like that. On monday im gonna re install my GPU and CPU to make sure I didn't screw up in that process. If that doesn't work then i'm going to try and get a new monitor sometime in the future and I guess I will have to live with it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Save all the drivers to one folder that offers easy access. Hit 'Start' and type in Device Manager. From there, go through the list and update all the things you downloaded, so if dl a Sata driver, then find the Sata controller, hit update, point the search towards the folder you have. Many of those drivers should be auto executing anyways. I'd you are using msi live update, it should have an auto loader for those too. I have a z77 board, so trust me when I say it's been ages since I had to do all this... But I remember doing it. In Device Manager, make note of any yellow warning tags if there are any, this'll be a driver error or lack of necessary driver for your hardware, usually a dead giveaway that something is up.

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Curious...what game are you playing? a 750 TI may have been playing the game in far less detail than your 1060 was there's a chance you wouldn't have experienced what you are now because you were playing it on lower quality.

To have this issue with a new 1060 is interesting, and to say that low was giving you same fps as ultra is very odd which is what makes me think the game you are playing might be unstable (kind of like when the first Watch Dogs released, or Assassins Creed Unity's launch fiasco).

Can you check if your pc is running hot? maybe a fan or something stopped working, dusty or bad air flow or you accidentally put too much thermal paste and your cpu is running hot affecting performance.

if its a game that's been around for a while then all I can really say is your best bet is to first make sure you plugged everything in right and backup your important files (music, movies, pictures, documents) and then do a fresh install of windows 10 (or 7 if that's what you're using) and like the others have mentioned install drivers from the manufacturer, download your GPU installation file onto a usb stick (download other drivers too), do you fresh install then install off of usb stick so you don't have to go looking for it (makes it quicker).

You really shouldn't be having any issues with the parts you bought, they're plenty quick to handle most games, just make sure Nvidia didn't preset your game's resolution to 4k, that's what happened to me with my 970 but i was running on a 1080p monitor and it preset Arkham Knight to 4k....I was blown away by the detail but the lag, stutter, tearing was crazy and I was so confused then I noticed the resolution and was like wth? lol after I changed that to 1080 ultra, it was perfect.

Tiress

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016

Battlefield and Minecraft mostly. The tearing is BAD in Arma 3. I didn't see that my PC was running hot but since this thread I have re-installed windows on an SSD and re-installed all my parts so i'm going to see if that fixed it. I put about a pea size of thermal paste but I think I might of put a tad too much on. But what's this thing about 4K resolution being automatically set and where can I find it? I swear if that has been the problem all of this time i'm going to flip.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a nvidia gtx, so I'm going to assume (hmm) that you also are using GeForce Experience, or it's at least operating. If you are, and especially if it's set to automatically optimize any games it finds/you download, then it's going to optimize to the best of its ability. On my gtx970, that means Skyrim was automatically set for 4k DSR, with max ultra settings, which uses a significant amount of cpu/gpu power (Skyrim isn't all that extensive on an i7/970 so I had plenty of power). It also gave a very good picture at the cost of some fps. And I run 1080p monitors. GE has extensive settings, far and above what you'll actually find in any game, so if your game doesn't have a viewing distance (for instance) GE does and it'll override the games coded default, because it's a gpu setting, not a game setting. It means when you set medium in game, the game only changes what it is coded to change, GE will play with anything else, on a gpu level. Many don't like GE, just for that reason, optimized games might look better, but perform worse than what the user is expecting.

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013

100%

That was my problem especially when i was running 1080 monitors and it was trying to run in 4k haha.

@Tiress that could be your issue, where you saw CSGO set to 3840x2160, DSR is probably on,

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3587/~/how-to-enable-dynamic-super-resolution-in-games.

When you right click your desktop or the nvidia icon in task bar click on control panel > manage 3d settings, look for DSR and turn it off.

Then in your GeForce Experience go to the game that you want to optimize and ensure that DSR is turned off and your resolution is correct.

Hopefully that fixes the problem