upgrading bios for WinXP SP2 install

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

You've already been shown clueless in this thread. No further response is
necessary.

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message

Really where?
Where have you shown you can support your own statements?

All you can do to support what you state is say something like "You've
already been shown clueless in this thread"
Another insult without facts from you...no surprise at all.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> You've already been shown clueless in this thread. No further
> response is
> necessary.

He still hasn't responded about how NOT flashing the BIOS can destroy a
motherboard.

I even repeated his quote for him. When challenged he just throws insults
or ignores the quote.

Tom
> Really where?
> Where have you shown you can support your own statements?
>
> All you can do to support what you state is say something like "You've
> already been shown clueless in this thread"
> Another insult without facts from you...no surprise at all.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>> You've already been shown clueless in this thread. No further response
>> is
>> necessary.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 06:45:57 -0400, Tom Scales wrote in

> He still hasn't responded about how NOT flashing the BIOS can destroy a
> motherboard.
>
> I even repeated his quote for him. When challenged he just throws insults
> or ignores the quote.

Now check out his friend Brian. What's up with those two? I guess they
just can't handle the fact some folks like to determine on their own what
is best for their system.

Dave
Damn, hope they don't find out I searched Google to come up with the above
post. *yawn*
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 06:45:57 -0400, Tom Scales wrote in
>
>> He still hasn't responded about how NOT flashing the BIOS can destroy a
>> motherboard.
>>
>> I even repeated his quote for him. When challenged he just throws
>> insults
>> or ignores the quote.
>
> Now check out his friend Brian. What's up with those two? I guess they
> just can't handle the fact some folks like to determine on their own what
> is best for their system.
>
> Dave
> Damn, hope they don't find out I searched Google to come up with the above
> post. *yawn*
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
> US Army Signal Corps!!
>
> http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
>
> Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

I google all of the time, to the point that I had to get glasses. I am no
surreptitious googler. I would google wirelessly in the streets if I had the
ability.

Everyone should google at least now and then. No engineer or technician
knows it all, or even close.

With regards to the Prescott/SP2 issue, I just plain had no idea. I don't
have that chip, and I've not run across a machine with it to make that
mistake (yet). I was personally glad to get the (helpful) heads
up/information from this group.

In the scores of machines I've handled, I've seen perhaps only one half
dozen bad BIOS flashes that killed the mainboard. That's hardly a 'chicken
little', 'hair on fire' number of systems, but sufficient in the end result
to warrant a respectful amount of caution.

I've a Sony VAIO here right now with a BIOS error at pre-POST, showing
between the drive information and the PCI/IRQ tables at boot. The error
does NOT hang the system or cause any *functional* issues with the machine.
The error?:

"BIOS update data incorrect" "CPUID = 00000F29".

A quick google shows that this is not an uncommon error on Asustek
motherboards with mid-2GHz Northwood processors. Lo and behold, another
check reveals the system board in this Sony to be made by ASUS. Additional
searches show that a BIOS flash corrects the error message in some machines
and does not in others.

The machine is out of warranty and was brought to me for software issues
caused by the end user. Now, should I flash it or not?

No way in hell I'm flashing it. The risk of buying this gentleman a new
motherboard over a flash that may or may not correct the small message would
be dumb in my estimation. The machine is running perfectly after repair,
passes all diagnostics and is ready to go.

The end user has not even noticed the error, and I will be sure to discuss
it with him when the PC is delivered.

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:hRS8d.159447

> "BIOS update data incorrect" "CPUID = 00000F29".
>
> A quick google shows that this is not an uncommon error on Asustek
> motherboards with mid-2GHz Northwood processors. Lo and behold, another
> check reveals the system board in this Sony to be made by ASUS. Additional
> searches show that a BIOS flash corrects the error message in some
machines
> and does not in others.
>
> The machine is out of warranty and was brought to me for software issues
> caused by the end user. Now, should I flash it or not?

Hire professional help.

Always flash the latest mobo BIOS but do it carefully.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ron Reaugh wrote:
> "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
>
>>On 5 Oct 2004 23:30:16 GMT, Brian wrote in

> any of

>>>Apparently not just *your* computer. You're challenging an entire
>>>industry based on no credentials that I have seen.
>>
>>Not really, I merely made known my opinion that upgrading the BIOS simply
>>because an update is there isn't a good idea. Why should I fix my
>
> computer
>
>>if it's not broken?
>
> You couldn't detect when it was broken.
>
>> Even more why I should fix my computer if it's not
>>broken *and* risk losing the use of it?
>
> You risk of "losing the use of it" is HIGHER if you don't keep the BIOS
> current.
>
>>Do you jump at every new driver or version of a program out there even if
>>the old version works fine for you?
>
> YOU BET!

Rookie!

<what a dork>

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> the Troll wrote in message
> Always flash the latest mobo BIOS but do it carefully.

No. I don't want to, I don't need to, and anything you say will not persuade
me that it is neccesary.

As with all software, firmware and hardware, I will only upgrade my stuff,
or my employers, when there is a problem with the old stuff, or when the
upgrade has a distinct advantage.

Don't tell me how to maintain my systems. I know better than any so-called
experts what they need.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 02:29:08 GMT, Stubby wrote in

>> Always flash the latest mobo BIOS but do it carefully.
>
> No. I don't want to, I don't need to, and anything you say will not persuade
> me that it is neccesary.
>
> As with all software, firmware and hardware, I will only upgrade my stuff,
> or my employers, when there is a problem with the old stuff, or when the
> upgrade has a distinct advantage.
>
> Don't tell me how to maintain my systems. I know better than any so-called
> experts what they need.

But don't you know? If you don't upgrade your BIOS with every new version
that Dell commands you to your motherboard will be inoperable within a
week!

And don't say you don't have any problems, because problems you (and your
OS) can't see are there unless you upgrade your BIOS!!

Get on it folks!

Dave
Posting from his 8400 using the A01 BIOS and yet the computer *still
works*! <gasp!>
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

Another newbee exposes himself.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message news:lE19d.10990

Jan

In article <UR19d.2750$Pd2.1005334@monger.newsread.com>, mjhuffma@pro-
ns.net says...

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> the Troll wrote in message
> > Always flash the latest mobo BIOS but do it carefully.
> >

> No. I don't want to, I don't need to, and anything you say will not persuade
> me that it is neccesary.
>
> As with all software, firmware and hardware, I will only upgrade my stuff,
> or my employers, when there is a problem with the old stuff, or when the
> upgrade has a distinct advantage.
>
> Don't tell me how to maintain my systems. I know better than any so-called
> experts what they need.

While on this subject, I have what is probably a dumb question.

If one updates their BIOS and then reformats and does a re-install of
the OS, does that revert the BIOS back or does it stay updated? TIA.
--
Cheers!

Jan

"Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <UR19d.2750$Pd2.1005334@monger.newsread.com>, mjhuffma@pro-
> ns.net says...
>>
>> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> the Troll wrote in message
>> > Always flash the latest mobo BIOS but do it carefully.
>> >

>> No. I don't want to, I don't need to, and anything you say will not
>> persuade
>> me that it is neccesary.
>>
>> As with all software, firmware and hardware, I will only upgrade my
>> stuff,
>> or my employers, when there is a problem with the old stuff, or when the
>> upgrade has a distinct advantage.
>>
>> Don't tell me how to maintain my systems. I know better than any
>> so-called
>> experts what they need.
>>

> While on this subject, I have what is probably a dumb question.
>
> If one updates their BIOS and then reformats and does a re-install of
> the OS, does that revert the BIOS back or does it stay updated? TIA.
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Jan

The BIOS version remains unchanged. The BIOS information is stored in the
CMOS chip on the mainboard and is unrelated to your hard disk.

Stew

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Jan wrote:
> In article <UR19d.2750$Pd2.1005334@monger.newsread.com>, mjhuffma@pro-
> ns.net says...
>
>>"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> the Troll wrote in message
>>
>>>Always flash the latest mobo BIOS but do it carefully.
>>
>>No. I don't want to, I don't need to, and anything you say will not persuade
>>me that it is neccesary.
>>
>>As with all software, firmware and hardware, I will only upgrade my stuff,
>>or my employers, when there is a problem with the old stuff, or when the
>>upgrade has a distinct advantage.
>>
>>Don't tell me how to maintain my systems. I know better than any so-called
>>experts what they need.
>
> While on this subject, I have what is probably a dumb question.
>
> If one updates their BIOS and then reformats and does a re-install of
> the OS, does that revert the BIOS back or does it stay updated? TIA.

No, the BIOS is independent of the OS & HDD and is non-volatile.

TRENDING THREADS