upgrading bios for WinXP SP2 install

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

You are the only one who has made statements of fact and unable to
back them up.
You are free to counter my opinion with fact to prove me wrong.
But you are incapable because you lack the facts.
Your need to insult to prove your point actually shows the weakness of
your character.

Good bye Ron.
Come back with facts or do not come back at all.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> Anyone who reads the thread for themselves can see who has the
> information
> and winning arguments and who does NOT!
>
> Where's the beef..did you leave it in the astroid belt on your way
> here or
> is it off in the Ort Cloud?

Is there a full moon out?

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:39:20 GMT, Ron Reaugh wrote in
>
> > There are a number of wackos around who do NOT tell others to do what
they
> > do themselves. Every person I've met in the last 3 years that works on
PCs
> > always flashes their own and the ones they work on/maintain.. That
should
> > be differentiated from some of the patronizing wackos who regard most
all
> > folks as incompetent morons and go around saying "Oh NO, don't do
that..the
> > sky is fallin."
>
> I don't think anyone here was saying that.
>
> > The fact is that the vast majority of folks who have the wherewithall to
get
> > to one of these NGs and ask the appropriate questions and do the
research to
> > find out how HAVE NO PROBLEMS flashing carefully.
>
> I agree, the majority of people who flash upgrade their BIOS have no
> problems at all.
>
> However, even you must admit there is a *chance* of a problem if someone
> loses power during the upgrade or flashes with the wrong BIOS.

Well of course and there is also a chance of giant meteroid impact during
the last byte.

The chance is greater that you'll break your mobo sometime trying to debug
some issue fixed by an undocumented feature of a more recent BIOS than there
is of you ever having the power go out during the 15 second critical flash
period WHICH only about 10% of the time results in a dead BIOS and only a
low percentage on mobos have soldered in BIOSs. Most BIOSs are socketed and
easily replaceable.

> It is this chance that will keep me and *many* others from upgrading a
BIOS
> "just because it's there".

It is THAT IRRATIONAL fear that some uninformed folks suffer
from...frequently such are referred to as phobias.

> > NOT FLASHING in the long run will cause more folks more grief and
destroy
> > more mobos than flashing. YES, mobos do get destroyed while folks are
> > pouring through things trying to debug some arcane issue.
>
> How does not upgrading a BIOS destroy a motherboard? I've been using
> computers since the Apple II+ and have yet to see a motherboard destroyed
> by not upgrading a BIOS or by trying to figure out a problem.

So you never heard of a mobo goin bad or getting destroyed during CPU
insertion, RAM insertions, case installations, cable plugging and removal
etc. etc. These are all things that one may start trying for some arcane
undocumented BIOS bug. You should have seen some of the things some would
be techies tried when their Prescotts failed on SP2. One false move there
and you loose a mobo or the more expensive CPU(HELLO!) with a much higher
probability than flashing. Failed flashes do NOT usually result in a dead
mobo.

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 05:14:06 GMT, Ron Reaugh wrote in

>> However, even you must admit there is a *chance* of a problem if someone
>> loses power during the upgrade or flashes with the wrong BIOS.
>
> Well of course and there is also a chance of giant meteroid impact during
> the last byte.

I wonder which is greater?

> The chance is greater that you'll break your mobo sometime trying to debug
> some issue fixed by an undocumented feature of a more recent BIOS than there
> is of you ever having the power go out during the 15 second critical flash
> period WHICH only about 10% of the time results in a dead BIOS and only a
> low percentage on mobos have soldered in BIOSs. Most BIOSs are socketed and
> easily replaceable.

Again, I don't understand how *not* upgrading to a newer BIOS "just because
it's there" will break in any way a motherboard? Did the old version of
the BIOS not work? What have I been doing for the past month or so since I
got my 8400 with the A01 BIOS version? Sure seems to be working fine so
far. It runs the software I want it to run and connected to the devices I
want it to connect to.

I would rather not upgrade to a new BIOS "just because it's there" than
have to go find a new BIOS chip because I flashed mine and it screwed up.

>> It is this chance that will keep me and *many* others from upgrading a
>> BIOS "just because it's there".
>
> It is THAT IRRATIONAL fear that some uninformed folks suffer
> from...frequently such are referred to as phobias.

You are completely right! I have a phobia of losing the use of one of my
desktop computers because I flashed to a BIOS version I didn't need. Good
call!

>> How does not upgrading a BIOS destroy a motherboard? I've been using
>> computers since the Apple II+ and have yet to see a motherboard destroyed
>> by not upgrading a BIOS or by trying to figure out a problem.
>
> So you never heard of a mobo goin bad or getting destroyed during CPU
> insertion, RAM insertions, case installations, cable plugging and removal
> etc. etc. These are all things that one may start trying for some arcane
> undocumented BIOS bug. You should have seen some of the things some would
> be techies tried when their Prescotts failed on SP2. One false move there
> and you loose a mobo or the more expensive CPU(HELLO!) with a much higher
> probability than flashing. Failed flashes do NOT usually result in a dead
> mobo.

ROFLMAO! I have heard of motherboards being destroyed from the things you
mentioned above. I have also heard of motherboards being destroyed from
bad BIOS flashes.

Since I won't generally go poking around in my system (and pay attention to
the key words here) *unless there is a problem* then I don't see how a CPU
insertion, RAM insertion, case installation, cable unplugging and removal
will effect me. Do you poke around in your computer and unplug and plug
stuff in just because it's there?

BTW, what exactly does an undocumented BIOS bug look like? If said bug is
not documented then I would imagine that means there is no fix for it. So,
flashing to an upgraded BIOS would not solve the problem.

At any rate, feel free to continue this conversation on your own. I did a
little Google searching and I see you aren't being rude on purpose. You're
just like that all the time. Have a good evening!

Dave
Bored playing with the idiot.
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

They always finally expose themselves.

> [...]
> insertion, RAM insertion, case installation, cable unplugging and removal
> will effect me. Do you poke around in your computer and unplug and plug
> stuff in just because it's there?
>
> BTW, what exactly does an undocumented BIOS bug look like? If said bug is
> not documented then I would imagine that means there is no fix for it.
So,
> flashing to an upgraded BIOS would not solve the problem.
>
> At any rate, feel free to continue this conversation on your own. I did a
> little Google searching and I see you aren't being rude on purpose.
You're
> just like that all the time. Have a good evening!
>
> Dave
> Bored playing with the idiot.
> --
> You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!

He couldn't with his wacko positions on Centrinos either. When challenges
with an actual test, he started name calling.

Not sure why he's here, but lets stop feeding the troll.

Tom
> Translation:
> Ron can not prove anything he states as fact therefore his only way out is
> an insult to shore up his position.
> But of course it failed.
>
> You have continued to ignore the questions put before you.
> Good for you!
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>> Ok, so for all to see you jumped-off into wackodom.

This has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read in this
newsgroup.

NOT FLASHING can destroy my motherboard. Exactly how does that happen. I
need to know! I have motherboards that haven't had a BIOS flash in 4-5
years!! OH NO!

Is there a self-destruct circuit? Will it just kill the motherboard or do I
need to evacuate my house? My neighborhood? The entire state? Move to
Australia?

Tell me more!

Tom
"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
<snip>
> NOT FLASHING in the long run will cause more folks more grief and destroy
> more mobos than flashing. YES, mobos do get destroyed while folks are
> pouring through things trying to debug some arcane issue.
> <snip>

Which model Dell Dimension has a socketed BIOS? None of mine do and I have
a 2400, 8100, 4550 and an 8400.

Seems like the pretty common models.

Tom

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
Most BIOSs are socketed and

"Tom Scales" wrote:
> Is there a self-destruct circuit? Will it just kill the motherboard
> or do I need to evacuate my house? My neighborhood? The
> entire state? Move to Australia?
>
> Tell me more!

Considering who has his hand up the Ron Rea-Ugh sock puppet,
you don't know how funny "Move to Australia" is.

*TimDaniels*

BIOS updates are for a reason. A02 for the 8400 fixes many problems. Based
on my experiences with two 8400s, I updated the BIOS with élan!

Also, see step number 4.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090437&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step4

"Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox12.net> wrote in message
> Hi group,
> Dell recommends flashing your bios to make sure you have the latest one,
> if you install XP SP2.
>
> Is that really necessary? I've heard nothing but horror stories about
> flashing bios, and since I've already upgraded to SP2, I'm not having any
> noticable problems.
>
> Do I need to upgrade my bios? (I have a Dell Dimension 8250.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice,
> Jeff

At the risk of prolonging this let me add one suggestion that I have not
seen mentioned. I have flashed dozens of systems without a hiccup and find
the procedure foolproof. But I do not flash any system unless it is powered
through my UPS. Let the power go out as much as it may at least I know that
the UPS will keep the system powered. It has never happened but is one added
bit of insurance and flashing the BIOS aside, is a very good idea for all
users.

Regards,
John O.

> BIOS updates are for a reason. A02 for the 8400 fixes many problems.
> Based on my experiences with two 8400s, I updated the BIOS with élan!
>
> Also, see step number 4.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090437&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step4
>

> "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox12.net> wrote in message
>> Hi group,
>> Dell recommends flashing your bios to make sure you have the latest one,
>> if you install XP SP2.
>>
>> Is that really necessary? I've heard nothing but horror stories about
>> flashing bios, and since I've already upgraded to SP2, I'm not having any
>> noticable problems.
>>
>> Do I need to upgrade my bios? (I have a Dell Dimension 8250.)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your advice,
>> Jeff

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ron Reaugh wrote:
> "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>If everything is running OK let it alone.
>

> NO, don't wait for a problem. Preempt any problems. Always flash the
> latest BIOS carefully.

Beware of posters who say "always" & "never"!

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:19:22 GMT, Ron Reaugh wrote in

>>>NO, don't wait for a problem. Preempt any problems. Always flash the
>>>latest BIOS carefully.
>>
>>Wrong answer.
>
> You are wrong. That's 1998 think. All the true computer experts figured
> about 2000 that flashing the latest BIOS was always the best procedure.

Beware of posters who use "all true compter experts", as well! :)

The general rule is "beware of people who use absolutes", e g., "all",
"never", "always", "the only possible conclusion ...", etc.

Old TVs were black & white, the real world is not.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

David Casey wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 04:39:20 GMT, Ron Reaugh wrote in
>
>>There are a number of wackos around who do NOT tell others to do what they
>>do themselves. Every person I've met in the last 3 years that works on PCs
>>always flashes their own and the ones they work on/maintain.. That should
>>be differentiated from some of the patronizing wackos who regard most all
>>folks as incompetent morons and go around saying "Oh NO, don't do that..the
>>sky is fallin."
>
> I don't think anyone here was saying that.
>
>>The fact is that the vast majority of folks who have the wherewithall to get
>>to one of these NGs and ask the appropriate questions and do the research to
>>find out how HAVE NO PROBLEMS flashing carefully.
>
> I agree, the majority of people who flash upgrade their BIOS have no
> problems at all.
>
> However, even you must admit there is a *chance* of a problem if someone
> loses power during the upgrade or flashes with the wrong BIOS.

It's not necessary, BTW, to have a problem flashing the BIOS to have a
problem afterward. Case in point, I successfully flashed my 4550 to BIOS
A08, which ran fine. However, afterward my 4550 wouldn't boot. Being a
computer professional myself, I had the previous good BIOS (A06) on a
floppy, so recovery was simply reflash the BIOS back to A06. Problem
solved. I will post an absolute in this case - always have a way to undo
a change.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ron Reaugh wrote:

<snip

>>How does not upgrading a BIOS destroy a motherboard? I've been using
>>computers since the Apple II+ and have yet to see a motherboard destroyed
>>by not upgrading a BIOS or by trying to figure out a problem.
>
> So you never heard of a mobo goin bad or getting destroyed during CPU
> insertion, RAM insertions, case installations, cable plugging and removal
> etc. etc.

Why is it everything you say sounds dirty?

BTW, we're discussing BIOS upgrades here, not CPU and/or RAM
"insertions". If you're destroying mobos performing these functions, it
speaks volumes about the level of your vaunted expertise.

> These are all things that one may start trying for some arcane
> undocumented BIOS bug. You should have seen some of the things some would
> be techies tried when their Prescotts failed on SP2. One false move there
> and you loose a mobo or the more expensive CPU(HELLO!) with a much higher
> probability than flashing. Failed flashes do NOT usually result in a dead
> mobo.

Isn't "mobo goin" the hot new rap star?

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 02:17:36 GMT, Ron Reaugh wrote in

>>>One never knows what a new BIOS has to offer. Most of the changes, fixes
>
> and
>
>>>new features in a new BIOS are NOT documented. Ever see a listing of
>
> which
>
>>>CPU microcode version is contained in any given BIOS?
>>
>>Sure you do have an idea what a new BIOS version has to offer. There is
>>usually a text file of some sort that outlines the changes from the
>>previous version.
>
> Yep and if you'd been around awhile you'd know that such files almost never
> contain the full list of what was done in a new BIOS. Have you ever seen in
> any of those readme's any mention of CPU microcode versions or did you know
> such even existed?

I'll bet Ron sleeps with his tinfoil hat securely on to prevent the
black helicopters from reading his thoughts. Talk about a mobo failure!!!

> He couldn't with his wacko positions on Centrinos either. When challenges
> with an actual test, he started name calling.

You are a bald faced liar.

But once again. I asked for specific examples and all you have are insults.

Examples, preferably links to reputable sources, of motherboards that have
failed because you did NOT upgrade the bios please.

Tom

> Which model Dell Dimension has a socketed BIOS? None of mine do and I
have
> a 2400, 8100, 4550 and an 8400.

Ah so Dell's mobos are weak in this arena.

> BIOS updates are for a reason.

Only the most feeble don't get that FACT.

> A02 for the 8400 fixes many problems.

And many fixes are NOT documented which provides a GREATER incentive to
flash the latest BIOS.

> Based
> on my experiences with two 8400s, I updated the BIOS with élan!

Always flash the latest BIOS carefully.

> Also, see step number 4.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090437&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19#step4

> "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox12.net> wrote in message
> > Hi group,
> > Dell recommends flashing your bios to make sure you have the latest one,
> > if you install XP SP2.
> >
> > Is that really necessary? I've heard nothing but horror stories about
> > flashing bios, and since I've already upgraded to SP2, I'm not having
any
> > noticable problems.
> >
> > Do I need to upgrade my bios? (I have a Dell Dimension 8250.)
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your advice,
> > Jeff

Beware of trolls.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message news:EkV7d.28464

> A08, which ran fine. However, afterward my 4550 wouldn't boot. Being a
> computer professional myself,

A very dubious claim considering your posts.

> But once again. I asked for specific examples and all you have are
insults.

> Examples, preferably links to reputable sources, of motherboards that have
> failed because you did NOT upgrade the bios please.

I made NO such claim and you prove yourself again to be a bald faced liar.

> Tom
> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >> He couldn't with his wacko positions on Centrinos either. When
> >> challenges
> >> with an actual test, he started name calling.
> >
> > You are a bald faced liar.

Don't YOU even read what you write?

I'll provide you a quote from your post:

"NOT FLASHING in the long run will cause more folks more grief and destroy
more mobos than flashing."

So, YES, you DID make such a claim. Proof please?

Tom

>> But once again. I asked for specific examples and all you have are
> insults.
>>
>> Examples, preferably links to reputable sources, of motherboards that
>> have
>> failed because you did NOT upgrade the bios please.
>
> I made NO such claim and you prove yourself again to be a bald faced liar.
>

>> Tom
>> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > You are a bald faced liar.