upgrading bios for WinXP SP2 install

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

My point is proved. You are a bald faced liar. The quote below is NOT what
you last posted.

> Don't YOU even read what you write?
>
> I'll provide you a quote from your post:
>
> "NOT FLASHING in the long run will cause more folks more grief and destroy
> more mobos than flashing."
>

> So, YES, you DID make such a claim. Proof please?
>
> Tom
> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >> But once again. I asked for specific examples and all you have are
> > insults.
> >>
> >> Examples, preferably links to reputable sources, of motherboards that
> >> have
> >> failed because you did NOT upgrade the bios please.
> >
> > I made NO such claim and you prove yourself again to be a bald faced
liar.

> >> Tom
> >> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

No, it was a quote from YOUR post. Is English a second language for you?

> My point is proved. You are a bald faced liar. The quote below is NOT
> what
> you last posted.

>> Don't YOU even read what you write?
>>
>> I'll provide you a quote from your post:
>>
>> "NOT FLASHING in the long run will cause more folks more grief and
>> destroy
>> more mobos than flashing."
>>

>> So, YES, you DID make such a claim. Proof please?
>>
>> Tom
>> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>> > insults.

>> > I made NO such claim and you prove yourself again to be a bald faced
> liar.

Tom,

As someone said earlier "Please don't feed the trolls" aka Energy Monster.

"Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox12.net> wrote in message
> Hi group,
> Dell recommends flashing your bios to make sure you have the latest one,
> if you install XP SP2.
>
> Is that really necessary? I've heard nothing but horror stories about
> flashing bios, and since I've already upgraded to SP2, I'm not having any
> noticable problems.

SP2 does some weird stuff. It gets involved in the BIOS which gets involved
in the CPU microcode. And for low enough microcode revisions, a few systems
will no longer boot XP. I would classify it as a "totally bad kharma 10
hour fix with much hair pulling" bug. (Fix time will vary depending on
accessibility to another system with a floppy or burner and an internet
connection)

The good news: this is a Prescott bug affecting revision levels 8 or below
on NON-Intel motherboards. So far, I haven't heard of any affected Dells.
It affects seven or so motherboard manufacturers other than Intel.

The bad news: it proves that a major system change or OS change can **** up
your system. (This is a very important line, re-read it if necessary)

Upgrade the BIOS.

The posters here mean well but aren't really thinking on their own. You
SHOULD upgrade. Someone started this rule-of-thumb of not upgrading the
BIOS if it isn't broken. It caught on in a dangerous way. Things have
changed a bit. A lot actually. And that rule of thumb is no longer
meaningful.

I wouldn't keep looking for updates. I would just make sure your i's are
dotted and t's are crossed whenever you make a big change. And upgrading
the BIOS is part of that.

Dell said so. :)

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:19:52 GMT, Craig Willis wrote in

> SP2 does some weird stuff. It gets involved in the BIOS which gets involved
> in the CPU microcode. And for low enough microcode revisions, a few systems
> will no longer boot XP. I would classify it as a "totally bad kharma 10
> hour fix with much hair pulling" bug. (Fix time will vary depending on
> accessibility to another system with a floppy or burner and an internet
> connection)

Works fine here. With the original BIOS.

> The good news: this is a Prescott bug affecting revision levels 8 or below
> on NON-Intel motherboards. So far, I haven't heard of any affected Dells.
> It affects seven or so motherboard manufacturers other than Intel.
>
> The bad news: it proves that a major system change or OS change can **** up
> your system. (This is a very important line, re-read it if necessary)

No kidding. ;-)

> Upgrade the BIOS.

Why? SP2 and everything else works fine. Again, why would someone want to
mess with something that is working?

> The posters here mean well but aren't really thinking on their own. You
> SHOULD upgrade. Someone started this rule-of-thumb of not upgrading the
> BIOS if it isn't broken. It caught on in a dangerous way. Things have
> changed a bit. A lot actually. And that rule of thumb is no longer
> meaningful.

That someone was probably the person who rendered a couple motherboard's
inoperative. Hence the rule-of-thumb to not mess with the BIOS unless you
have a problem.

> I wouldn't keep looking for updates. I would just make sure your i's are
> dotted and t's are crossed whenever you make a big change. And upgrading
> the BIOS is part of that.

When there is a problem.

> Dell said so. :)

Yes, they do. A lot. I believe that is geared more toward what I like to
call, the AOL-type computer user. Someone who doesn't really know how
their computer works but doesn't care so long as it works. When it doesn't
they don't care why, they just want Dell (or Best Buy or CompUSA or
whoever) to fix it for them even if all it means is defraging their hard
drive or something easy.

As for the rest of us, I'll stick to leaving it alone until it's broken.
Then maybe I'll give some consideration to upgrading the BIOS.

BTW, your name isn't Ron is it? ;-)

Anyway, a storm is coming. Hmmm... maybe you all are right. I really
should upgrade my BIOS. After all, what are the chances of the power going
out? ;-)

Dave
Who knows the chances, but maybe 75% of the folks out there don't. And
they are the ones calling up Dell to ask why their computer isn't working
anymore.
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"Craig Willis" <cwillis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox12.net> wrote in message
>> Hi group,
>> Dell recommends flashing your bios to make sure you have the latest one,
>> if you install XP SP2.
>>
>> Is that really necessary? I've heard nothing but horror stories about
>> flashing bios, and since I've already upgraded to SP2, I'm not having any
>> noticable problems.
>
> SP2 does some weird stuff. It gets involved in the BIOS which gets
> involved in the CPU microcode. And for low enough microcode revisions, a
> few systems will no longer boot XP. I would classify it as a "totally bad
> kharma 10 hour fix with much hair pulling" bug. (Fix time will vary
> depending on accessibility to another system with a floppy or burner and
> an internet connection)
>
> The good news: this is a Prescott bug affecting revision levels 8 or
> below on NON-Intel motherboards. So far, I haven't heard of any affected
> Dells. It affects seven or so motherboard manufacturers other than Intel.
>
> The bad news: it proves that a major system change or OS change can ****
> up your system. (This is a very important line, re-read it if necessary)
>
> Upgrade the BIOS.
>
> The posters here mean well but aren't really thinking on their own. You
> SHOULD upgrade. Someone started this rule-of-thumb of not upgrading the
> BIOS if it isn't broken. It caught on in a dangerous way. Things have
> changed a bit. A lot actually. And that rule of thumb is no longer
> meaningful.
>
> I wouldn't keep looking for updates. I would just make sure your i's are
> dotted and t's are crossed whenever you make a big change. And upgrading
> the BIOS is part of that.
>
> Dell said so. :)

......and, of course, Dell will be glad to sell the poster a replacement
system board at confiscatory prices and you'll be more than happy to install
it for him should a power bump or a corrupted or damaged floppy diskette
cause his flash go badly.

Please note that Dell also said that its own Dimension XPS B wasn't
compatible with WinXP, or that its XPS R couldn't use DIMMs of capacities
higher than 128mb (or handle a maximum capacity of more than 384mb), or that
the XPS T would only support a PIII 850mhz CPU at it's maximum range, or....

I do mean well when I advise not to flash one's BIOS on a casual whim, but
rather to do so ONLY to gain necessary system function or to correct present
errors or malfunction.

It's generally a lot easier to recover from a faulty service pack or OS
install than to do so from a bad flash.

To me, that's plenty meaningful - right now in the present.

Speaking of meaningful, here's a phone number you'll want to jot down:
800-999-3355 Ext 69937. That's Dell spare parts.

Stew

"Craig Willis" <cwillis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox12.net> wrote in message
> > Hi group,
> > Dell recommends flashing your bios to make sure you have the latest one,
> > if you install XP SP2.
> >
> > Is that really necessary? I've heard nothing but horror stories about
> > flashing bios, and since I've already upgraded to SP2, I'm not having
any
> > noticable problems.
>
> SP2 does some weird stuff. It gets involved in the BIOS which gets
involved
> in the CPU microcode. And for low enough microcode revisions, a few
systems
> will no longer boot XP. I would classify it as a "totally bad kharma 10
> hour fix with much hair pulling" bug. (Fix time will vary depending on
> accessibility to another system with a floppy or burner and an internet
> connection)
>
> The good news: this is a Prescott bug affecting revision levels 8 or
below
> on NON-Intel motherboards.

No, it affected Intel mobos too during RC2. Intel came out with the fix on
about Aug. 7 but many in distribution did NOT have the fix yet. Those Intel
mobo user hung unless of course they were intelligent and 'always flashed
the latest mobo BIOS carefully'. Some non-Intel mobos already had an
appropriate BIOS before this. Some didn't get it until later in August.

> So far, I haven't heard of any affected Dells.
> It affects seven or so motherboard manufacturers other than Intel.

Only when using a Prescott or Celeron D.

> The bad news: it proves that a major system change or OS change can ****
up
> your system. (This is a very important line, re-read it if necessary)

Yes, this was a major faux paux by both MS and Intel as the issue was
originally detected in June under RC2.

The important issue for this thread is that it has become industry standard
for BIOSs to be black boxes. Very little about them is documented including
but not limited to which microcode levelS are included in which BIOS
version. A new BIOS always contains much more than what the readme says.
In fact if there is no superficial/public reason for a new BIOS then one
sees it appear with NO readme.

Back around 2000 when real computer pros realized this about BIOSs and when
new BIOSs began to rarely cause serious problems, most figured out that the
rule of thumb that they used was 'always flash the latest mobo BIOS
carefully'. That's still the correct rule. You'll end up in the long run
spending more time and hassle and dollars by NOT following this rule. The
risk of a bad flash if done carefully is miniscule. One is more likely to
destroy their mobo during a debugging session trying to figure out a bug
that the latest BIOS would have fixed. Stay ahead of any problems and flash
the latest BIOS carefully. They don't create new BIOSs just for fun.
Sooner or later you will get bit by not having the latest mobo BIOS.

In many cases those who followed this rule did NOT suffer from the SP2
Prescott microcode issue described above.

> Upgrade the BIOS.
>
> The posters here mean well but aren't really thinking on their own. You
> SHOULD upgrade. Someone started this rule-of-thumb of not upgrading the
> BIOS if it isn't broken.

Exactly...wannabee experts without long and deep PC experience.

> It caught on in a dangerous way.

And became an old wives' tale.

> Things have
> changed a bit. A lot actually. And that rule of thumb is no longer
> meaningful.
>
> I wouldn't keep looking for updates. I would just make sure your i's are
> dotted and t's are crossed whenever you make a big change. And upgrading
> the BIOS is part of that.
>
> Dell said so. :)

And very often if you end up in a technical support call debug session then
one of the first things you'll be asked is if you have the latest mobo BIOS
and if not then flash. That is true whether the TS call is for your mobo or
display card or for your GPS mapping program etc. Get ahead of that and
flash preemptively just like installing the latest device drivers or program
fixes or service packs.

"David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message

> Why? SP2 and everything else works fine. Again, why would someone want
> mess with something that is working?

You can't tell when it will stop working nor why it does. Did you also wait
to turn on your virus checker after you HD goes blank?

> > The posters here mean well but aren't really thinking on their own. You
> > SHOULD upgrade. Someone started this rule-of-thumb of not upgrading the
> > BIOS if it isn't broken. It caught on in a dangerous way. Things have
> > changed a bit. A lot actually. And that rule of thumb is no longer
> > meaningful.
>
> That someone was probably the person who rendered a couple motherboard's
> inoperative. Hence the rule-of-thumb to not mess with the BIOS unless you
> have a problem.

A cretin destroyed a couple of mobos and created a cretin rule...we all
figured that out. Now the cretin rule should die a proper death.

> "Craig Willis" <cwillis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Jeff Gillan" <nospamever@cox12.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi group,
> >> Dell recommends flashing your bios to make sure you have the latest
one,
> >> if you install XP SP2.
> >>
> >> Is that really necessary? I've heard nothing but horror stories about
> >> flashing bios, and since I've already upgraded to SP2, I'm not having
any
> >> noticable problems.
> >
> > SP2 does some weird stuff. It gets involved in the BIOS which gets
> > involved in the CPU microcode. And for low enough microcode revisions,
> > few systems will no longer boot XP. I would classify it as a "totally
bad
> > kharma 10 hour fix with much hair pulling" bug. (Fix time will vary
> > depending on accessibility to another system with a floppy or burner and
> > an internet connection)
> >
> > The good news: this is a Prescott bug affecting revision levels 8 or
> > below on NON-Intel motherboards. So far, I haven't heard of any
affected
> > Dells. It affects seven or so motherboard manufacturers other than
Intel.

> > The bad news: it proves that a major system change or OS change can
****
> > up your system. (This is a very important line, re-read it if
necessary)

> > Upgrade the BIOS.
> >
> > The posters here mean well but aren't really thinking on their own. You
> > SHOULD upgrade. Someone started this rule-of-thumb of not upgrading the
> > BIOS if it isn't broken. It caught on in a dangerous way. Things have
> > changed a bit. A lot actually. And that rule of thumb is no longer
> > meaningful.
> >
> > I wouldn't keep looking for updates. I would just make sure your i's
are
> > dotted and t's are crossed whenever you make a big change. And
upgrading
> > the BIOS is part of that.
> >
> > Dell said so. :)
>
> .....and, of course, Dell will be glad to sell the poster a replacement
> system board at confiscatory prices and you'll be more than happy to
install
> it for him should a power bump

One doesn't flash carefully in an enviroment where a power 'bump' is likely.
Being cautious in that fashion the odds of your mythical power 'bump' during
the 15 second critical period of the flash becomes miniscule.

> or a corrupted or damaged floppy diskette

Floppy problems NEVER cause bad flashes...get a clue.

> cause his flash go badly.
>
> Please note that Dell also said that its own Dimension XPS B wasn't
> compatible with WinXP, or that its XPS R couldn't use DIMMs of capacities
> higher than 128mb (or handle a maximum capacity of more than 384mb), or
that
> the XPS T would only support a PIII 850mhz CPU at it's maximum range,
or....

> I do mean well when I advise not to flash one's BIOS on a casual whim, but
> rather to do so ONLY to gain necessary system function or to correct
present
> errors or malfunction.
>
> It's generally a lot easier to recover from a faulty service pack or OS
> install than to do so from a bad flash.

NO, it's often easier to recover from a problem flash. Most the time an
interrupted flash does NOT end with an unbootable system.

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:19:52 GMT, Craig Willis wrote in

<snip>
> As for the rest of us, I'll stick to leaving it alone until it's broken.
> Then maybe I'll give some consideration to upgrading the BIOS.
>
> BTW, your name isn't Ron is it? ;-)
>
> Anyway, a storm is coming. Hmmm... maybe you all are right. I really
> should upgrade my BIOS. After all, what are the chances of the power
> going
> out? ;-)

Hi David -

I snipped most of your reply. I'm not in the mood to reply per jab. And
most of what you write is nonsense. There are obvious power failure
warnings in the BIOS instructions. A thunderstorm is in there... And then
ther's the typical well padded layer of common sense /most/ people possess.

As you dismiss Dell tech support's advice, what are your credentials and why
have I not seen the Casey Inspiron series?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
> It's generally a lot easier to recover from a faulty service pack or OS
> install than to do so from a bad flash.

More people die in cars than in planes. So what?

> To me, that's plenty meaningful - right now in the present.

> Speaking of meaningful, here's a phone number you'll want to jot down:
> 800-999-3355 Ext 69937. That's Dell spare parts.

That's clever but statistically worthless. I googled Dell + FAILED +
BIOS + FLASH. I found nothing that overwhemingly confirmed your
fears. A few people tried to flash from Intel's site. And a few people
spill coffee on there computers.

Where's the proof that 90% of this thread isn't fear mongering?

"Brian" <brian@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > It's generally a lot easier to recover from a faulty service pack or OS
> > install than to do so from a bad flash.
>
> More people die in cars than in planes. So what?
>
> > To me, that's plenty meaningful - right now in the present.
>
> > Speaking of meaningful, here's a phone number you'll want to jot down:
> > 800-999-3355 Ext 69937. That's Dell spare parts.
>
> That's clever but statistically worthless. I googled Dell + FAILED +
> BIOS + FLASH. I found nothing that overwhemingly confirmed your
> fears. A few people tried to flash from Intel's site. And a few people
> spill coffee on there computers.
>
> Where's the proof that 90% of this thread isn't fear mongering?

No such proof is needed as that is intuitively obvious to all but a few
wannabee PC experts.

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 04:52:42 GMT, Craig Willis wrote in

>> As for the rest of us, I'll stick to leaving it alone until it's broken.
>> Then maybe I'll give some consideration to upgrading the BIOS.
>>
>> BTW, your name isn't Ron is it? ;-)
>>
>> Anyway, a storm is coming. Hmmm... maybe you all are right. I really
>> should upgrade my BIOS. After all, what are the chances of the power
>> going out? ;-)
>
> Hi David -
>
> I snipped most of your reply. I'm not in the mood to reply per jab. And
> most of what you write is nonsense. There are obvious power failure
> warnings in the BIOS instructions. A thunderstorm is in there... And then
> ther's the typical well padded layer of common sense /most/ people possess.

Yes, common sense to me is to not try and fix that which is not broken. I
do apologize for the smart-ass tone of my post. I did perhaps come off a
little strong. :)

> As you dismiss Dell tech support's advice, what are your credentials and why
> have I not seen the Casey Inspiron series?

I dismiss any advice which basically tells someone to upgrade their BIOS
just because a new version is available. But to each their own. My system
is working just fine with the A01 BIOS (I have an 8400). If I run into a
problem which the A02 says it might fix or I have exhausted all other
possibilities, I might upgrade it. But as it is, it works fine so why mess
with it?

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

"Brian" <brian@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> It's generally a lot easier to recover from a faulty service pack or OS
>> install than to do so from a bad flash.
>
> More people die in cars than in planes. So what?
>
>> To me, that's plenty meaningful - right now in the present.
>
>> Speaking of meaningful, here's a phone number you'll want to jot down:
>> 800-999-3355 Ext 69937. That's Dell spare parts.
>
> That's clever but statistically worthless. I googled Dell + FAILED +
> BIOS + FLASH. I found nothing that overwhemingly confirmed your
> fears. A few people tried to flash from Intel's site. And a few people
> spill coffee on there computers.
>
> Where's the proof that 90% of this thread isn't fear mongering?

You're hyping the thread if anyone is. "Fear-mongering" is a really cheesy
phrase used by people who listen to politicians too much. You're suggesting
there is no risk. I'm suggesting that flash failures are rare, but when they
occur, one is basically screwed.

Since you need help with web searches, go here: (pick a thread)

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?q=BIOS+flash+system+dead

Stew

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
> You're hyping the thread if anyone is. "Fear-mongering" is a really cheesy
> phrase used by people who listen to politicians too much. You're suggesting
> there is no risk. I'm suggesting that flash failures are rare, but when they
> occur, one is basically screwed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/536745.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/844497.stm
(I clipped all the smaller news sources)

The implications are left as an exercise. If you don't get it, an
explanation won't help.

> Since you need help with web searches, go here: (pick a thread)
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?q=BIOS+flash+system+dead

I trimmed your search above. Too many key words produced too many low
scoring hits.

flash+dead hit 67,000 times.
dropped+dead hit 46,500 times.
coffee+dead hit 20,000 times.
liquid+dead hit 20,000 times.
lightning+dead hit 20,000 times.

Don't:
move your computer unless necessary (1)
drink coffee near your computer (2)
drink any liquids nearby for that matter
have potted plants with water near the computer
leave the computer plugged in during a lightning storm (3)

All of these things have risks associated with them. Further, the risks
are the same order of magnitude.

I will guarantee you that every person here has needlessly risked one of
the above. Flashing the bios is "spooky." Hence all the bad advice.

Flash the bios when the manufacturer recommends it. It pretty much
wraps up the thread.

(1) Or... Remember the number of times you flashed the system? Never
move the computer more than that number.
(2) Unless absolutely necessary? Any caffeine addicts? :)
(3) Properly grounded... as in earth ground... as in driving a rod
into the lawn. Plus disconnecting the computer, the modem cable,
and any other miscellaneous connections to the house to have
complete coverage.

> S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> You're hyping the thread if anyone is. "Fear-mongering" is a really
>> cheesy
>> phrase used by people who listen to politicians too much. You're
>> suggesting
>> there is no risk. I'm suggesting that flash failures are rare, but when
>> they
>> occur, one is basically screwed.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/536745.stm
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/844497.stm
> (I clipped all the smaller news sources)
>
> The implications are left as an exercise. If you don't get it, an
> explanation won't help.
>
>> Since you need help with web searches, go here: (pick a thread)
>> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?q=BIOS+flash+system+dead
>
> I trimmed your search above. Too many key words produced too many low
> scoring hits.
>
> flash+dead hit 67,000 times.
> dropped+dead hit 46,500 times.
> coffee+dead hit 20,000 times.
> liquid+dead hit 20,000 times.
> lightning+dead hit 20,000 times.
>
> Don't:
> move your computer unless necessary (1)
> drink coffee near your computer (2)
> drink any liquids nearby for that matter
> have potted plants with water near the computer
> leave the computer plugged in during a lightning storm (3)
>
> All of these things have risks associated with them. Further, the risks
> are the same order of magnitude.
>
> I will guarantee you that every person here has needlessly risked one of
> the above. Flashing the bios is "spooky." Hence all the bad advice.
>
> Flash the bios when the manufacturer recommends it. It pretty much
> wraps up the thread.

<snip>

The thread was wrapped up when you closed your mind, which was at the
beginning of same.

I admire your steadfast ignorance, and as such there's nothing I can add to
such unabated arrogance.

Regards,

Stew

On 5 Oct 2004 22:22:48 GMT, Brian wrote in

> What's with the name calling?

[snip!]

> You morans know better than the chip manufacturers, system builders,
> and OS authors, right?

Yes, when it comes to *my* computer I know better what it needs than any of
those folks.

And yes, what is with the name calling?

> "Brian" <brian@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > S.Lewis <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >> It's generally a lot easier to recover from a faulty service pack or OS
> >> install than to do so from a bad flash.
> >
> > More people die in cars than in planes. So what?
> >
> >> To me, that's plenty meaningful - right now in the present.
> >
> >> Speaking of meaningful, here's a phone number you'll want to jot down:
> >> 800-999-3355 Ext 69937. That's Dell spare parts.
> >
> > That's clever but statistically worthless. I googled Dell + FAILED +
> > BIOS + FLASH. I found nothing that overwhemingly confirmed your
> > fears. A few people tried to flash from Intel's site. And a few people
> > spill coffee on there computers.
> >
> > Where's the proof that 90% of this thread isn't fear mongering?
> >

> You're hyping the thread if anyone is. "Fear-mongering" is a really cheesy
> phrase used by people who listen to politicians too much. You're
suggesting
> there is no risk.

The risk is miniscule. To suggest otherwise is FEAR-MONGERING.

> I'm suggesting that flash failures are rare,

VERY rare when done carefully and a flash failure often does NOT result in a
dead mobo.

> but when they
> occur, one is basically screwed.

Nonsense. The expense of a dead mobo is only about $100 and usually less.

You've been completely outclassed. As usual for someone so humiliated you
digress to personal attacks.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:nZB8d.145788

> The thread was wrapped up when you closed your mind, which was at the
> beginning of same.
>
> I admire your steadfast ignorance, and as such there's nothing I can add
> such unabated arrogance.
>

> Regards,
>
> Stew

That is a low end motherboard.
In any event, $100 is far to much to spend because an unnecessary
update went bad.
You have admitted there is a chance.
However slight is not relevant.
If the update is not needed, the risk is to high.
Or will you personally guarantee the flash will be successful?
If your answer is no, the risk seems to much even for you.
If yes, post your contact information, and the word can get out that
you will take care of it at your expense.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> The risk is miniscule. To suggest otherwise is FEAR-MONGERING.
>
>> I'm suggesting that flash failures are rare,
>
> VERY rare when done carefully and a flash failure often does NOT
> result in a
> dead mobo.
>
>> but when they
>> occur, one is basically screwed.
>
> Nonsense. The expense of a dead mobo is only about $100 and usually
> less.

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

David Casey <sgtcasey@ih8spamcableone.net> wrote:
>> What's with the name calling?

> [snip!]

>> You morans know better than the chip manufacturers, system builders,
>> and OS authors, right?

> Yes, when it comes to *my* computer I know better what it needs than any of
> those folks.

Apparently not just *your* computer. You're challenging an entire
industry based on no credentials that I have seen.

> And yes, what is with the name calling?

You seem to speak dumbass more fluent than reason. So I switched to
your language. I think we connected!

On 5 Oct 2004 23:30:16 GMT, Brian wrote in

>> Yes, when it comes to *my* computer I know better what it needs than any of
>> those folks.
>
> Apparently not just *your* computer. You're challenging an entire
> industry based on no credentials that I have seen.

Not really, I merely made known my opinion that upgrading the BIOS simply
because an update is there isn't a good idea. Why should I fix my computer
if it's not broken? Even more why I should fix my computer if it's not
broken *and* risk losing the use of it?

Do you jump at every new driver or version of a program out there even if
the old version works fine for you? Are you one of those people who then
whine all over a forum somewhere, "Wahhhhh I upgraded to
Make-Me-Look-Stupid v4.3 and now it won't make me look as stupid as v4.2!!
Someone helpppppppppppp!"

You and your buddy Ron seem to think someone else knows what is best for my
desktop machines. Wrong. If I were merely another clueless computer user
then perhaps I'd jump when commanded by the almighty Dell company and line
up at the counter to upgrade my BIOS even if the system was working fine.

But since I'm not, I'll leave my working desktop just that. Working.
Granted the chance of a bad BIOS flash is small, I know I've flashed my
share of BIOS's in the past, but why take that chance? It's not like a bad
graphics card driver or bad printer driver that you can just uninstall and

In the future if something comes along that causes a problem then I'll look
into an upgraded BIOS as a possible solution. Not before. Why is this so
hard to understand for you two?

>> And yes, what is with the name calling?
>
> You seem to speak dumbass more fluent than reason. So I switched to
> your language. I think we connected!

No, I was pointing out your hypocrisy which you showed yet again. ;-)

"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
> That is a low end motherboard.
> In any event, $100 is far to much to spend because an unnecessary
> update went bad.
> You have admitted there is a chance.
> However slight is not relevant.

WACKO! You are a confirmed fear-monger.

> If the update is not needed, the risk is to high.

You are a balf faced liar too.

> On 5 Oct 2004 23:30:16 GMT, Brian wrote in
>
> >> Yes, when it comes to *my* computer I know better what it needs than
any of
> >> those folks.
> >
> > Apparently not just *your* computer. You're challenging an entire
> > industry based on no credentials that I have seen.
>
> Not really, I merely made known my opinion that upgrading the BIOS simply
> because an update is there isn't a good idea. Why should I fix my
computer
> if it's not broken?

You couldn't detect when it was broken.

> Even more why I should fix my computer if it's not
> broken *and* risk losing the use of it?

You risk of "losing the use of it" is HIGHER if you don't keep the BIOS
current.

> Do you jump at every new driver or version of a program out there even if
> the old version works fine for you?

YOU BET!

> Are you one of those people who then
> whine all over a forum somewhere, "Wahhhhh I upgraded to
> Make-Me-Look-Stupid v4.3 and now it won't make me look as stupid as v4.2!!
> Someone helpppppppppppp!"

Change your diapers.

Ron;
Can you prove your statements?
If not perhaps you should study the meaning of slander.

You previously stated "All the true computer experts..."
You can not support this statement because it is FALSE, you can not
even define it or you would.

"fear-monger"
Those who are insecure in their position often feel it necessary to
put labels on others who disagree with them.
I never suggested the possibility is great, in fact I said otherwise.
You also have not proven the necessity of upgrading when not
necessary.
People are usually smart enough to know there are risks.
Why do you desire to deny them information?
Why do you feel you know more about everyone's computer needs?
If there is no risk, that is one thing, but there is a risk and you
clearly will not back up your idea that there is no risk.

Could you stick to facts and post something to prove your point?
You have failed to answer any question that asks for you to prove the
statements you make leading many to believe you are incapable of
supporting your position without insulting those with a differing
opinion.

You are so unsure yourself that you feel the need to ignore most of
what I ask...maybe because if you could answer, you would be proven
wrong.
How convenient for you to ignore what proves you wrong.

you about.
You ignored all of them.
The only reasonable conclusion is you are unable to support your
position.
Even if your assertions are true, you have shown yourself incapable of
supporting them other than parroting what you think you may know...but
you have no source.
Prove me wrong...you can not.