Question Upgrading from 7 3700x to an i7-13700k

wardhsa2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
Hi guys, I was thinking of starting to upgrade my pc however start with the cpu first. I currently have a 1070ti and a ryzen 7 3700x. I mainly play comp. games such as csgo and valorant on 1080p.

I was thinking of upgrading to an i7-13700k. Do you think it is a good decision? Will i get better performance? I won’t be upgrading my gpu at the current time since i own a 360hz 1080p monitor and upgrading to a newer gpu seems not worth it.

This cpu would be a noticeable upgrade while allowing you to keep your present motherboard.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5700x

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JmhFf7/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-34-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000926wof
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X $192.99

5700x.jpg

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Would do the above and easy enough cpu swap, long as bios is updated to accept 4th gen. Intel cpus require different motherboard, not compatible with Amd and vice versa. Reason why i said new motherboard to go with. Seems you didn't understand that, it's all good.

For the system you have i would put in a 5800x3d and call it a day.

The socket you have now is at the end of life as amd has moved to the AM4 socket, and the Intel 13th gen is also at the end of life as Intel will be moving to a new socket with the 14th gen.

Theres no reason to spend $600-700 to move to an intel platform with a fresh windows install, when you can swap to a 5800x3d and get almost the same performance and not having to reinstall windows.

Reactions: GarrettL and Vic 40

wardhsa2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
Would do the above and easy enough cpu swap, long as bios is updated to accept 4th gen. Intel cpus require different motherboard, not compatible with Amd and vice versa. Reason why i said new motherboard to go with. Seems you didn't understand that, it's all good.
I do ofcoarse know that an intel cpu won't be compatible with my current motherboard, but i have got enough money to spent on a good cpu upgrade thats why i was thinking of getting the best intel cpu out there with ddr5 ram.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I do ofcoarse know that an intel cpu won't be compatible with my current motherboard, but i have got enough money to spent on a good cpu upgrade thats why i was thinking of getting the best intel cpu out there with ddr5 ram.

Good. Crisis averted. Because saying upgrade cpu first was starting to look like it.

Hi guys, I was thinking of starting to upgrade my pc however start with the cpu first. I currently have a 1070ti and a ryzen 7 3700x. I mainly play comp. games such as csgo and valorant on 1080p.

I was thinking of upgrading to an i7-13700k. Do you think it is a good decision? Will i get better performance? I won’t be upgrading my gpu at the current time since i own a 360hz 1080p monitor and upgrading to a newer gpu seems not worth it.
What country are you located and what is your budget?

Apr 7, 2023
Honestly overkill, since valorant/csgo at 1080p don't require a lot of resources. Also currently you can buy a 5900X at a similar/lower price while also being able to keep your motherboard.