Upgrading from a 460 to 660. Use the 460 for..?

insane21m

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Soon I'll be getting this 660, and I'm wondering If I should just keep my 460 in as a Phyx Card. I mean how would that work? I've heard people tell me to just use it as a dead card for Phyx but I don't really understand the concept.

And if not would there be any use for it?

Thanks!

Solution

Yes, the 460 will make a good PhysX card for that system. Just make sure that you play some GPU accelerated PhysX games to take advantage of the performance boost.

You just need an open PCIe slot of any bandwidth (x1, x4, x8, or x16 will all work).

to begin with did your mobo have extra pci-e x16 slot and enough power to support both card in your system? my advice is just use your 660 without the 460 as a dedicated physx. i bet a single 660 should have enough grunt to run the game with high physx enabled with acceptable frame rates. just dump your 460 into your old system or sell it for cheap to get extra cash

insane21m

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Okay guys thanks for the replies.

Here's my full build: http://goo.gl/Mhrw8

Since electricity usage isn't a problem for me, and I don't have an old build to throw it into, how would It be possible to use the 460 as a Phyx card? I mean could I use both the 660 and the 460 for Phyx? I don't really want just acceptable frame rates, I want good ones, ya know what I mean? :??:

Yes, the 460 will make a good PhysX card for that system. Just make sure that you play some GPU accelerated PhysX games to take advantage of the performance boost.

You just need an open PCIe slot of any bandwidth (x1, x4, x8, or x16 will all work).

Solution

insane21m

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

Okay so final questions:

1. Do I have to "do anything" or do I just put it in there?
2. Is there any Phyx software or?