[SOLVED] Upgrading from a Asus P6X58D-E MOBO with Intel Core i7 970 to something more current

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
As I mention in the title, I have a now over 8 years old workstation with the following (relevant) specs:

Win 10 Pro
Asus P6X58D-E MOBO
Intel Core i7 970 3200MHz
12.279 GB (DDR3-1333 SDRAM)

The whole thing has been upgraded over the years and currently I have a 500GB SSD for the OS plus 4 X 4TB hard drives for files as well as a couple of external drives.

The old i7 970 is still going strong, but my MOBO limits me to 12GB, which made me King of the Hill in 2010 but is decidedly anemic today.
Fortunately, I have a CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case with every high end fan, a 1000W power supply (and I also have a couple of 500W I could leverage if necessary), so I am fine as far as hard drives, cooling, etc. My video card is only a couple of years old and it's a high end gaming card I dropped $500 on.

I cannot afford to purchase an equivalent CPU/MOBO (Back them just those 2 cost me, I think, $1700) but I would very much like to once again find a good setup that can last me another 5 years at least.
Back in 2010, I got lucky that some of the technology I purchased ended up being around for some time and it's still not exactly ancient.

What I would like is a Motherboard with some degree of future-proofing and as many USB ports (of all kinds) as I can get.
I intend to have at least 32 GB of memory (my policy is to always buy double the memory that comes with commercially sold computers at best Buy and the like) but with the ability to mount more if possible.
For the CPU, I have absolutely no idea what to get. The more I researched it, the more confused I got. Back in the day, my CPU was about $200 cheaper than the 980x for about 3% less performance. It was a no brainer as the next commercially available chip was coal powered by comparison. Today things are not as clear cut.

I am a web developer and programmer, but I also do a lot of graphic design, video editing, music production and some very light 3D work. I do some gaming as well, but a lot less than I used to.

Ideally, I would like to spend no more than $1000 for the MOBO/CPU/RAM combo, but I may be able to go a bit higher if there is a compelling rationale behind it.

Most of all, I'd like this workstation to still be useful 5 years from now.

Thank you

conticreative

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Thank you so much. That’s indeed a very promising start.
I am going to do some more research on the MOBO to see it’s specs but so far it looks pretty good.

As far as RAM, is there anything revolutionary on the horizon I should be aware of? When I built my machine, DDR3 was fairly new and when DDR4 came out I got the impression it wasn’t setting the world on fire.

For my work, being able to keep as many apps open as possible while remaining stable is really important. I may be editing a video and a clients wants me to retouch an Illustrator file while I am keeping 4 or 5 chrome based browsers open and photoshop in the background, maybe a few more things as well.
With my current setup, I find myself being able to do that, but having to restart to keep my system snappy.

I am also interested in faster data transfer from MOBO to Cdrive. I’ll need to check if it has PCIe ssd (is that what is called?) as I think I heard it’s faster than SATA.

Anyway, thank you very much. I’ll post anything I find in case someone else may find it useful.