Question Upgrading from a Corsair CX500

MarkT3001

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
I was upgrading from an old Corsair CX500 PSU and accidentally bought a VS650 PSU, not realising that the VS line is supposed to be slightly worse the the CX one, will it still be better than the old power supply because it is 650W?
500W is probably not quite enough for my system.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, what's your system? If you're asking us about wattage, you've left out extremely important information that we would need to give you any kind of useful answer.

On a general level, the older VSs will be worse than an old CX and about equal to a new VS (black/gray/white lettering).

I'd be way more comfortable with a new VS than an old one, to the extent that I'd be willing to use it in budget machines in a pinch. But if your PC really needs more than 500W, then it's also likely it's not a budget machine. Which, again, is why we need actual info.

MarkT3001

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Well, what's your system? If you're asking us about wattage, you've left out extremely important information that we would need to give you any kind of useful answer.

On a general level, the older VSs will be worse than an old CX and about equal to a new VS (black/gray/white lettering).

I'd be way more comfortable with a new VS than an old one, to the extent that I'd be willing to use it in budget machines in a pinch. But if your PC really needs more than 500W, then it's also likely it's not a budget machine. Which, again, is why we need actual info.

System is:
CPU: i7 3770k 3.50GHz
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard: Asrock B75 Pro3-M
Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate 7200rpm
Windows 10 64bit
GPU: Saphire Dual X AMD R9 200 series
Corsair 500watt CX PSU
Samsung Blu ray drive

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Which R9 200? That's a whole series, not an individual GPU and they range from a 150W GPU to a 300W one (or 500W if you have an R9 295X2, but I imagine you'd already be running into trouble with that).

However, I wouldn't be running any R9 on a Corsair VS.

MarkT3001

Prominent
Sep 25, 2019
Well.. That's a pretty old card and never needed that much power to begin with. Your CX500 would have been enough... although it is an older PSU.

Why are you replacing the PSU in the first place? Because it's old and started failing or because you thought you needed more power?

The PSU is old and was told it was probably causing the system to crash.

Interesting. Freezing while Windows is booting up? Hard lock? Like you've waited a long time for it to boot up and it still doesn't boot?

If the PSU wasn't able to put out another power, it would crash in games. Not on start up. And it wouldn't freeze or BSOD. It would restart or shut down.

Sometimes, if you swap out a PSU or unplug a PSU, etc., you discontinue +5VSB to the board and things like Windows fast bootup stop working for a while. So one thing you might want to try is simply clearing the CMOS on your motherboard and do a cold boot.