Question Upgrading from gtx1080 and want to switch to AMD

Jan 8, 2023
I want to upgrade from my current gtx1080 to an AMD card. I'm told they play better with Linux and my gtx1080 is starting to grow a little long in the tooth. I would like to find a more modern card with similar power draw. I have an ASUS z170-a motherboard.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I want to upgrade from my current gtx1080 to an AMD card. I'm told they play better with Linux and my gtx1080 is starting to grow a little long in the tooth. I would like to find a more modern card with similar power draw. I have an ASUS z170-a motherboard.

Your not mentioning your rest of your system, but assuming that if you're still using an 100 series board, your processor and ram are way behind today's specs, and if you really looking for an upgrade, I'd suggest you look towards upgrading that motherboard and cpu and ram, and keeping the 1080, you don't say either if it is a Ti variant, but a normal gtx 1080 is a powerful card none the less and with the above mentioned components upgrade instead of a newer card now for way to much money as I see it you'll have tons of extra performance to squeeze out.

Then once your components are all up to date and you have a proper PSU as well, you should only then start looking at finding something new gpu related for your system.