[SOLVED] Upgrading from i3-2120 to i7-2600 on MOBO H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX (Cupertino2) 1.02

Jun 3, 2021
Hello,
i swapped my CPU with an i7-2600 (compatible with the MOBO as stated here) but when booting I get no signal on the monitor either via integrated VGA or via HDMI of my GPU Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X OC 2GB. Moreover the GPU fans don't spin, USB ports don't work (keyboard and mouse don't light up).

BIOS has been updated to version 7.16 3/23/2012 using the tool from here.
I get the same results after resetting the BIOS (following the procedure in "Jumper Settings" section on the same page here) and after removing one or both sticks of RAM.

Do you know why?
Thanks in advance for your replies (if you need further details do not hesitate asking) and sorry for my English.

Solution
One common cause is a bent pin in the cpu socket.
It is all too easy to do if you needed to smoosh the cpu around to get it seated.
Take the 2600 out and inspect the socket carefully.
If you see a bent pin, try to straighten it using a needle or have a jeweler do it.

Try the 2120 again.
If it works, you may have bought a defective processor.
Intel processors are very reliable, do not be too quick to assume the chip is defective.
Look first to other solutions.

Did you clean off the old cpu cooler paste when you removed it, and did you apply new?
Did you reconnect the cooler fan cable?
A motherboard will not usually start without a running cpu cooler fan.
Hello,
i swapped my CPU with an i7-2600 (compatible with the MOBO as stated here) but when booting I get no signal on the monitor either via integrated VGA or via HDMI of my GPU Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X OC 2GB. Moreover the GPU fans don't spin, USB ports don't work (keyboard and mouse don't light up).

BIOS has been updated to version 7.16 3/23/2012 using the tool from here.
I get the same results after resetting the BIOS (following the procedure in "Jumper Settings" section on the same page here) and after removing one or both sticks of RAM.

Do you know why?
Thanks in advance for your replies (if you need further details do not hesitate asking) and sorry for my English.
did it work when switched back to your 2120?

Try to download this bios, and after you extract it, just run the installer.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Yup the HP page for that mobo does indicate the 2600 is supported.

Have you seen and know the CPU is operational?

Double checked all the connections and made sure everything is securely plugged in, none of the pins have backed out of the connector, etc.?

Are you still on the stock power supply? I see you mention the R9 GPU, so would assume you have upgraded that?
Might be more helpful to us to list complete specs.

It is all too easy to do if you needed to smoosh the cpu around to get it seated.
If you see a bent pin, try to straighten it using a needle or have a jeweler do it.

Try the 2120 again.
Intel processors are very reliable, do not be too quick to assume the chip is defective.

Did you clean off the old cpu cooler paste when you removed it, and did you apply new?

Solution
Jun 3, 2021
did it work when switched back to your 2120?

Try to download this bios, and after you extract it, just run the installer.
Thank you for the quick response
Yes it works with the i3-2120 when I switch back.
Sorry but I am unsure about flashing the BIOS from unknown sources.
However the BIOS version is already at version 7.16 which is the latest released by HP, why should I flash again?

Yup the HP page for that mobo does indicate the 2600 is supported.

Have you seen and know the CPU is operational?

Double checked all the connections and made sure everything is securely plugged in, none of the pins have backed out of the connector, etc.?

Are you still on the stock power supply? I see you mention the R9 GPU, so would assume you have upgraded that?
Might be more helpful to us to list complete specs.

I bought the CPU online and the seller told me that it worked on his computer. Unfortunately I haven't any other method to test it. Anyway the CPU looks fine from the outside.
When i try the i3-2120 again it works just fine.

It's weird because other people have this MOBO with the i7-2600 like this one or this one.

Is it possible that the BIOS given in the HP site changes depending on the model of the prebuilt computer and doesn't allow to change CPU or is this just conspiracy?:tearsofjoy:

The main components of my PC are:
  • CPU: Intel i3-2120
  • MOBO: H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX (Cupertino2) 1.02
  • RAM: Kingston KVR16N11S8/4 (2 modules for a total of 8GB)
  • PSU: ARESGAME 500W AGV500
  • GPU: Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X OC 2GB
  • SSD: Kingston SA400S37/240G

Try the 2120 again.

The i3-2120 works again when I switch back to it. The seller of the i7-2600 told me that it worked on his machine.
I did all the steps you mentioned.

Thank you everybody for the responses.

Jun 3, 2021
it's from HP, but i gave it the latest microcode update and the ME Firmware update. also added nvme support XD but it's up to you wether you want to use it or not.
That's impressive, but what does it mean ME Firmware and what microcode updates are you referring to?
So this BIOS version is specifically for Cupertino2?
I am worried i will brick the board

That's impressive, but what does it mean ME Firmware and what microcode updates are you referring to?
So this BIOS version is specifically for Cupertino2?
I am worried i will brick the board
Yes, this is specific from it, i downloaded it from the link that you gave above. the ME Firmware and The Microcodes inside the Bios ofc have been updated manually, so when you're about to flash it, if your motherboard does have an ME jumper, short the jumper so that the ME will be flashed too.

Last edited: