[SOLVED] upgrading from i5 to i7

stan10

Honorable
May 23, 2013
I have an hp envy 17 inch with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz processor , I would like to know if its possible to upgrade the processor from i5 to i7, if yes, based on the processor specs Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz what type of i7 processor would be good to upgrade to

Solution
I would like to get a Zbook but I don't have the money for that now so I am thinking of using this laptop for about a year or 2 more years, surely upgrading to i7 would be a lot more affordable than buying a new laptop right? if you don't mind me asking, why do you think upgrading isn't not worth it?
It maybe affordable but the the performance boost you'll get is not the worth. If you really want to see some improvement, upgrade the storage to ssd and upgrade the ram (general use) if you use your laptop for a specific purpose that need better thread handling then it's a different story.......

Kakarot07

Reputable
Sep 20, 2016
I have an hp envy 17 inch with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz processor , I would like to know if its possible to upgrade the processor from i5 to i7, if yes, based on the processor specs Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz what type of i7 processor would be good to upgrade to
Yes @stan10 you can upgrade you laptop to i7 4702MQ, description here : https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...4702mq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz.html
but I won't recommend it because it's not worth it, If were you, I would go for a new laptop instead of investing in this one ;)

stan10

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Yes @stan10 you can upgrade you laptop to i7 4702MQ, description here : https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...4702mq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-20-ghz.html
but I won't recommend it because it's not worth it, If were you, I would go for a new laptop instead of investing in this one ;)

I would like to get a Zbook but I don't have the money for that now so I am thinking of using this laptop for about a year or 2 more years, surely upgrading to i7 would be a lot more affordable than buying a new laptop right? if you don't mind me asking, why do you think upgrading isn't not worth it?

Kenton82

Reputable

What are you trying to run on this? I use the same CPU on my Toshiba Lappy. What are the rest of the specs?...
K

Kakarot07

Reputable
Sep 20, 2016
It maybe affordable but the the performance boost you'll get is not the worth. If you really want to see some improvement, upgrade the storage to ssd and upgrade the ram (general use) if you use your laptop for a specific purpose that need better thread handling then it's a different story.......

Solution

TRENDING THREADS