Upgrading gaming pc with about a $2000 budget

Plexs

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Ok so I have the Asia Maximus IV extreme Z mobo. I want to build off of that. I have currently use the i7-2600k CPU 3.4ghz. My gpu is a hydro copper GeForce 590. I'm running 3 monitors and wish to keep it that way. Basically what I'm asking is, what I can work with using my current mobo?

Looking for:

Maybe new processor
1,2 or 3 new gpu for under $1500 (this is most important, looking to run my 3 monitors at max graphics for gaming)

Maybe new memory

Solution
This is probably your best upgrade option if gaming on three monitors is your biggest priority:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($554.00 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($554.00 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1232.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-13 19:07 EST-0500
Are they 1080p monitors or higher resolutions? Your CPU is still relevant and upgrading to another at this time might not make a lot of sense as you won't get a significant performance increase for your investment. The GPUs are where you want to upgrade right now and possibly the RAM depending on what you currently have.

What are your full current hardware specs including PSU model?

This is probably your best upgrade option if gaming on three monitors is your biggest priority:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1232.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-13 19:07 EST-0500

Solution

Plexs

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not sure if the monitors are 1080p but they are Asus 24". I'm using corsair dominator 8g ram and as for the power supply I'm using a 1000w silver stone. I'm looking to upgrade my gpu because my system is liquid cooled and it was giving me problems for a while and I think I damaged my gpu. As of now I can't run all there monitors at the same time and after about 30 min of gaming I get the blue screen of death. My gpu is crapping out on me.

What is the model number of your Silverstone PSU? Probably dual 970's would be ideal for you. Maybe even a single 970 or 980. Either of those can do Nvidia surround on 1080p. Dual cards will probably allow Ultra settings in most every title though.

Silverstone is another of those companies that has some fairly decent units, and a lot of really crappy ones, but none that are exceptional that I'm aware of. A change in PSU quality may be a foregone conclusion if you decide to go with dual cards. Seasonic, Antec, EVGA, XFX, Superflower and some of the Rosewill units are the better choices. I recommend avoiding Corsair, Cooler Master and Thermaltake PSU's altogether. They make a few really decent units, but they're almost always overpriced as compared to equal or better quality units sold by the other companies I listed. For any gaming card you want a Tier 2B or higher listed unit and for top shelf graphics cards, especially when dual or more cards are used, you probably want a Tier 2A or Tier 1 unit.

PSU Tier list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

It's even extremely possible that your problem isn't the GPU at all, but the PSU. It could go either way on that. Let me know the model.

For future reference, DO NOT pay attention to 80plus ratings. Otherwise good units will ALMOST always have a good 80plus rating, except in a few cases like the Antec VP-450 for example, which is a VERY good unit, but does not qualify for an 80plus rating because it does not have a PFC circuit.

MANY really crappy units have 80plus ratings, most of which are inaccurate or outright fakes. It really doesn't matter how efficient the unit is if it only lasts two days or two weeks. It's just not a good criteria for judging a power supply. If it's a higher tiered unit and has 80plus, so much the better. If it's tiered low and shows 80plus, it's likely to be crap.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/power-supplies-with-fake-80-plus-badges/1054

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/#.VN-QeOktFhF