arturukas14

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018
Hello, I currently have 1060 6gb with ryzen 5 2600, 16 ram and good ssd storage. My motherboard is ASrock B450M pro4 that i believe has AMD AM4 socket. My PSU is 550w Corsair.
I kinda want an upgrade. I was thinking to buy rtx 3070 if possible and a ryzen 5 3600 to pair with it.

Here are my questions:
*Will the 3600 botlleneck rtx 3070?
*Will my PSU be enough for this?
*Will my motherboard be able to maybe socket the new 5600 and if it could with some sort of bios flash is it worth buying over 3600.
*Should i buy amd new card instead and pair it with upcomming 5600 ryzen cpu? If so will my PSU and motherboard be enough?
*And lastly, what are your opinions? Would i see a massive jump in performance from this upgrade comparing to my current system? Maybe you have other suggestions? Im by no means rich and I want to get best value for buck and upgrade to a system to where I would not need another upgrade for like 3-5 years or smth.

Solution
The answer is always "it depends" It depends on the game. It depends on the settings. It depends on what performance target you're trying to get

For the most part I don't see an issue achieving at least 60 FPS in most games, regardless of resolution/quality.

Will my PSU be enough for this?
It should be enough

Will my motherboard be able to maybe socket the new 5600 and if it could with some sort of bios flash is it worth buying over 3600.
Currently no formal announcement of compatibility has been made.

Should i buy amd new card instead and pair it with upcomming 5600 ryzen cpu? If so will my PSU and motherboard be enough?
If you're talking about the RX 6800, then wait and...
The answer is always "it depends" It depends on the game. It depends on the settings. It depends on what performance target you're trying to get

For the most part I don't see an issue achieving at least 60 FPS in most games, regardless of resolution/quality.

Will my PSU be enough for this?
It should be enough

Will my motherboard be able to maybe socket the new 5600 and if it could with some sort of bios flash is it worth buying over 3600.
Currently no formal announcement of compatibility has been made.

Should i buy amd new card instead and pair it with upcomming 5600 ryzen cpu? If so will my PSU and motherboard be enough?
If you're talking about the RX 6800, then wait and see if it performs to your liking. Otherwise it looks like it has more or less the same power requirements as the 3070.

And lastly, what are your opinions? Would i see a massive jump in performance from this upgrade comparing to my current system? Maybe you have other suggestions?
Upgrading the video card alone should be enough to give you a large jump in performance. I wouldn't worry about the CPU performance.

Solution

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
Will will need a 650W minimum PSU for the 3070. Reading several things it might be better if you get a 700W PSU to make sure you have headroom. That it would be be better to go for a semi-modular PSU to save money.
You will need to upgrade your Motherboard for Ryzen 5000 series To even work. Minimal of a b550 to work for 5000 series processors.
I agree with not needing a CPU upgrade. It is plenty powerful enough to run games. If you do streaming or plan to you will want an R7 but if not keep the processor you have.

arturukas14

Reputable
Aug 30, 2018

Will will need a 650W minimum PSU for the 3070. Reading several things it might be better if you get a 700W PSU to make sure you have headroom. That it would be be better to go for a semi-modular PSU to save money.
You will need to upgrade your Motherboard for Ryzen 5000 series To even work. Minimal of a b550 to work for 5000 series processors.
I agree with not needing a CPU upgrade. It is plenty powerful enough to run games. If you do streaming or plan to you will want an R7 but if not keep the processor you have.

I have a 144hz monitor so my target framerate is 1080p 144fps + on titles like the new cod or warzone andjust other games like that. Are you sure that my r5 2600 will be enough to not bottleneck and the psu will be fine? Also yes i sometimes stream

I should add to my comment about the PSU, as long as it comes with two 8-pin PCIe plugs, it'll be fine. If it has a 6-pin and 8-pin, it should still be fine, but it may not work with some more expensive versions of the 3070 or RX 6800. If it has one 8-pin only, that could limit your options. If it only has one 6-pin PCIe plug, you need to upgrade.

And hotaru every source is saying at least a 650w psu as bare minimum so of you want a 3000 series, that would be needed.
Every source is referencing NVIDIA's requirement, and NVIDIA recommends something more powerful than necessary to cover their bases. My current computer, which has a Ryzen 3700X and a RTX 2070 Super peaks at ~330W from the wall. Accounting for efficiency, say 80 Plus Bronze, this is more like ~270W.

Also look at reviews that do total system power consumption. For example, KitGuru reported 385W from the wall, with a Core i9-10900K system. Even if we threw in a 80 Plus Titanium at its best case (94%), this is about 360W.

So no, you don't actually need a 650W power supply. I'd say you can go down to 500W as long as the power supply is a high quality one.

TRENDING THREADS