Upgrading Haswell gen in 2016

mamarc_minted

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
So I was planning to upgrade my i3-4160 to i5-4690 (non k). . is it still worth it to upgrade haswell generation in December 2016? I know skylake is better but if I upgrade to skylake I would have to spend another mobo and DDR4 ram and proc as compared to proc only on haswell. So I need advice :(

Solution
Yes, worth the improvement if you feel that you are lacking for CPU power.

However, you could also look into picking up a used i7-4770 or 4790 for about the price that you may spend on a new i5 and be set on processor power for a couple years.

Skylake/Kaby Lake will not be worth the performance improvement to justify the cost to build around it.
Yes, worth the improvement if you feel that you are lacking for CPU power.

However, you could also look into picking up a used i7-4770 or 4790 for about the price that you may spend on a new i5 and be set on processor power for a couple years.

Skylake/Kaby Lake will not be worth the performance improvement to justify the cost to build around it.

Solution

This +1, I have an i7 4790 paired with a gtx 1070 and I plan on using it for a long time. It's better than the i5 6600k and on par with the i7 6700. So if you can afford the i7 it's definetly wortht the upgrade, I came from an i3 4160 aswell btw :p

Latest posts