Question Upgrading Intel SSD (pcie) to Samsung

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
I currently have a z370 gigabyte motherboard with an intel 660p 512 GB pcie. I also have an extra TB hhd for extra storage. Planning to upgrade to a 1tb samsung evo or evo plus and clone the intel ssd. Questions I have....

1. Any known issues with this?
  2. Would this work best in the pcie slot or the M.2?
  3. Will both ssd's work in tandem or will there be conflicts?

Link to board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-3-rev-10#kf

Explanations welcome and thanks.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
  1. No issues with these specific drives. People generally recommend a fresh installation over a clone. But since the earliest you could've bought that drive is August, you probably haven't accumulated enough cruft to make it necessary.
  2. There should be no difference. Since you have two M.2 slots, I would recommend installing the new SSD in the one closest to the CPU and the old in the one furthest. I bet the second slot is handled by the PCH and not the CPU directly. That won't really be a problem because the 660p is not capable of saturating a PCIe x4 connection.
  3. They should work just fine. Just make sure the correct drive comes first in the BIOS boot order.

Reactions: jxburton20

jxburton20

Prominent
Sep 14, 2018
  1. No issues with these specific drives. People generally recommend a fresh installation over a clone. But since the earliest you could've bought that drive is August, you probably haven't accumulated enough cruft to make it necessary.
  2. There should be no difference. Since you have two M.2 slots, I would recommend installing the new SSD in the one closest to the CPU and the old in the one furthest. I bet the second slot is handled by the PCH and not the CPU directly. That won't really be a problem because the 660p is not capable of saturating a PCIe x4 connection.
  3. They should work just fine. Just make sure the correct drive comes first in the BIOS boot order.

I've got it all pretty much finished but it's not letting me boot with this order. How should it be adjusted?

34pao7q.jpg