[SOLVED] Upgrading monitor - help

TheObserver

Reputable
May 24, 2016
I am stuck on which monitor to choose, im confused on what i should care about. Do i NEED 144hz rate? IPS/VA/TN? Do i NEED Gsync? (seems hard to find one with gsync too btw)

My current g card is nvidia gtx 750ti (though i have been thinking about upgrading)

I would like to have a higher refresh rate as well as a better picture but my budget is limited.

I'm currently using hp w2207, this has lasted me for over 10 years never once had a problem but the color/brightness isnt great and i would like better picture quality.

I am only a casual gamer, i mostly watch videos/shows/browse internet.

A few i found so far:

(i like this one but worried about the TN panel)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYHZ6R...ascsubtag=tomshardware-8167940258512878782-20

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-proprie...s+monitor&qid=1569941440&s=electronics&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGMQGDT/ref=psdc_1292115011_t1_B06ZYHZ6R6

Solution
  1. Up to you. Do you think you care about high refresh rate and FPS?
  2. IPS/PLS will get you bright colors and great viewing angles, VA will typically get you decent colors and good viewing angles. TN is poor color, poor viewing angles, but very fast response times
3)G-sync is to prevent tearing, and is a premium option. There should be plenty of cheaper FreeSync options out there that are compatible. (Though I'm not 100% sure with older GPUs like the 750ti, late models certainly support freesync over display port.)

$200 G-sync is certainly the cheapest I have seen, so I might lean towards that. Since Nvidia makes the FPGA scaler, you can be assured it is quite decent. How good the LCD is, not sure. But Hopefully decent to meet...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Up to you. Do you think you care about high refresh rate and FPS?
  2. IPS/PLS will get you bright colors and great viewing angles, VA will typically get you decent colors and good viewing angles. TN is poor color, poor viewing angles, but very fast response times
3)G-sync is to prevent tearing, and is a premium option. There should be plenty of cheaper FreeSync options out there that are compatible. (Though I'm not 100% sure with older GPUs like the 750ti, late models certainly support freesync over display port.)

$200 G-sync is certainly the cheapest I have seen, so I might lean towards that. Since Nvidia makes the FPGA scaler, you can be assured it is quite decent. How good the LCD is, not sure. But Hopefully decent to meet Nvidia's seal of approval.

Though the Sceptre is tempting.

BenQ is the safe option. A basic monitor, but not terribly expensive.

I think you should sit back and see what graphics cards you might buy in the near future and what monitor you want to go along with it. Nothing wrong with over-buying on a monitor now and getting a faster GPU later, but you might be a little disappointed in the immediate.

Reactions: vyrule
Solution

vyrule

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
I'd highly recommend this monitor AOC 27" 1440p. I was skeptical at first given the price being so cheap (probably about the same price in USD), but I've been running it for two years now with no dead pixels/issues. no 1080p monitor will give as sharp a picture (without paying a lot) than jumping up to 1440p. yes its TN and as a casual user (mostly video) IPS is preferable, but the higher resolution makes a huge huge difference. Its freesync, but i wouldn't worry as you can just not use it, and if the focus is less on games, it shouldn't be an issue

Obviously, you're running a lesser card, and the 750 doesn't average much higher than 30 (if you're lucky) most of the time in games at 1440, but for browsing and you-tube it will be excellent. also, 27" is the recommended screen size for 1440p (without getting too technical) whereas with 1080p you're stuck at 21"/24" if you want a clear image

Hope this helps

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
TN is okay, particularly if you don't like keeping your monitor really bright. When you try for high brightness on TN panels they typically wash out quickly and you lose even more color. As long as you are looking at it straight on it is fine. So my suggestion with any TN panel is get one with an adjustable stand so you can put it at eye level.

Not to say all TN panels are created equal, there are certainly some high end ones out there that have better than average capabilities, but the majority are intended as a cheap solution.

I trust https://tftcentral.co.uk/ for reviews if you can locate any monitor in your price range on their lists, give them a good read, and look at some high end reviews to see how it stacks up.