[SOLVED] Upgrading my CPU (AMD vs Intel) suggestions

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hi everyone,

I will upgrade my CPU and Mobo and I am between the Ryzen 3950x and the new upcoming Comet Lake 10900K,
I am using the PC mostly for gaming,multitasking,work and i like overclocking as well. I know that intel is much better in OC compared to AMD but I saw a couple of reviews for the 3950x and the processor looks really good.

What do you guys think? - any help would be really appreciated.

Below are my systems full specs:

-x99 rampage v extreme (Bios version 3902)
-5960x @4.2ghz all cores
-Corsair Vengence RGB pro (CL16) quad kit 32gb @ 3200mhz
-1500 PSU corsair
-2x 2080TI
-cpu cooler: thermaltake 360 AIO floe riing

Thanks!!!

Solution
Hi - firstly your current setup is pretty nice!

With respect to which cpu to go with - first question is what screen resolution / settings are you going for? I'm assuming pretty high resolution given 2 x 2080ti cards...?

If you are looking at very high resolutions then you won't benefit from the higher OC on the Intel part - in which case I think the 16 cores / 32 threads on the Ryzen is the way to go (I also think the higher core count is going to be more future proof). That said if you are after very high refresh rates, the lower clock speed on Ryzen may hold you back a bit in which case the 10 Core Intel might be a better choice.

With respect to which cpu to go with - first question is what screen resolution / settings are you going for? I'm assuming pretty high resolution given 2 x 2080ti cards...?

If you are looking at very high resolutions then you won't benefit from the higher OC on the Intel part - in which case I think the 16 cores / 32 threads on the Ryzen is the way to go (I also think the higher core count is going to be more future proof). That said if you are after very high refresh rates, the lower clock speed on Ryzen may hold you back a bit in which case the 10 Core Intel might be a better choice.

Solution
What do you guys think? - any help would be really appreciated.
What is your primary use for this system? If just gaming you may not need to look beyond a 3800X...or maybe 3900X if you want to be ostentatious about it.

3950X' strength will show when you get the 16 cores all pumping through long, heavy processing. Gaming just uses a few cores/threads, really only one heavily.

Dec 16, 2019
Honestly it depends. The ryzen 9 3950x is a bit more expensive but the threads can really show their power in heavily multithreaded applications. The i9-10900k's single core benchmarks are pretty good but the multi-core benchmarks are ok from what we know so far. Also it needs a beefy cooler.

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015

Thanks for the comment!

The resolution im playing at is 4k with the aim to get 144 fps with G Sync. I think will be more future proof as well to have more cores.

Aliency

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
What is your primary use for this system? If just gaming you may not need to look beyond a 3800X...or maybe 3900X if you want to be ostentatious about it.

3950X' strength will show when you get the 16 cores all pumping through long, heavy processing. Gaming just uses a few cores/threads, really only one heavily.
Gaming, multitasking and work and a bit of playing around with OC